Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jooceman Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Taking a girl out to see a movie for the first time
    I've known this girl for quite awhile now and we both agreed to go see a movie this weekend. It's our first time "out", but I don't really know if I'd consider it a date or not. But anyway, I offered to pay, but she's still insisting that she'll pay for her ticket.

Do I just go along with her, or do I somehow try to convince I should pay?
    SoLostPlzHelp Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2008, 05:12 PM

Well she may feel uncomfortable with you paying for her and not in a bad way. I myself just feel weird when other people pay for me even if I am in a relationship with them. At the movies when she goes to pay you could just politely say don't worry I have it and pay for her if that would make you feel better
    JonLR92 Posts: 81, Reputation: -2

Sep 21, 2008, 06:14 PM

You better pay. Just tell the ticket guy 2 tickets a pay for it. If u let her pay then your not a good guy.
    jrsg Posts: 560, Reputation: 67

Sep 21, 2008, 08:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JonLR92 View Post
    you better pay. just tell the ticket guy 2 tickets a pay for it. if u let her pay then your not a good guy.
    I'd have to disagree with you on this one, JonLR92.

Many women want to pay for themselves so they feel like an equal, and not like they are out to be treated by the man. I've taken out girls, and especially on the first date, they prefer to pay themselves. A relationship is two equals together getting to know each other, the "equal" part is emphasized, especially in a modern day society. Paying for yourself just makes it that much more equal.

And when you said "if u let her pay then your not a good guy" you sound just ridiculous. Is that what a "good guy" means to you? Paying for her, even when she insists on paying for herself?

And "you better pay" is also an outrageous comment.

This post just made me laugh, and I hope you can see why.
    What dating expirience do you have anyway? I don't know how you came to these conclusions, but I don't agree.
    jrsg Posts: 560, Reputation: 67

Sep 21, 2008, 08:59 PM

Try yourself to insist on paying, just because it is a nice gesture.

BUT, don't push it. DON'T overpower her. Don't keep saying over and over again "I want to pay."

Insist on it once, if she still wants to pay for herself, let her do it, and say something like "I'll get it next time."

Why do I recommend the above?
    1. It shows you want to pay, and you want to treat her, but you also see her as an equal.
    2. It leaves the oppurtunity for another date open.

Not paying DOES NOT make you a bad guy. It makes you an understanding guy who knows how to listen. Remember that.
    hellokittykat Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Sep 22, 2008, 11:24 PM

Offer strongly to pay and mean it!
    If she wants to pay let her, but say something like 'you didn't have to, I'd like to pay for you' after.. and then shout popcorn!
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Sep 23, 2008, 12:03 AM

I think the reason she offered to pay, was so that the 'date' was innocent, and she's not obligated for a relationship. It's a good move on her part. Let her pay after offering, knowing that you're there just to get to know her, and focus on being yourself, so she can get to know your personality. That's what a real date is. And by the way, watch her body language, and use your intuition, and if it's right, you can hold her hand (no kissing). And smile!
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Sep 24, 2008, 07:12 PM

90% of the times that I have gone anywhere with a girl, the girl always paid for them self. I always insist that I pay, I mean it seems only right. I finally asked one of the girls why do they always to pay for themselves? And she said because she's independent and feels that we should be equal in paying for things. So offer to pay, but if she really wants to pay, then let her.
    jsosad14 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2008, 08:39 AM

I think that you should let her pay. Maybe this girl is very independent and likes to depend on herself for things. If anything you should be happy she's so independent, you'll save money! Haha, just kidding about that last part.
    legend101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2010, 08:56 PM
    Well if yous have known each other for quite a wile then why wd it be so hard to say I'm going to pay for the ticket.but also she might like you and she's testing you to see if your a gentalmen.
    alex665 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jul 11, 2010, 06:18 PM
    I usually ask the girl to pay. They usually do. I just buy dinner afterwards

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taking shrooms for the first time [ 21 Answers ]

I want to try taking shrooms this summer but I am scared I will have a bad trip. I smoke weed on an everyday basis and when I smoke pot I always get a little paranoid of cops and bad things happening, do you think I would have a bad trip?

Is there a time-limit for taking my ex to court? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My ex-wife still owes me money from our separation. We had agreed that she would give me $15,000 (minus any mortgage arrears at that time, which was $2400), and she would take over the mortgage and it (the house) would be put in her name. She gave me $3,000 in Aug/04, I have tried to...

Taking some time off. [ 8 Answers ]

Hi folks, Due to personal matters, and for reasons that I am not able to discuss at this time, I am taking a leave of absence from this board for a while. I've had a terrific time discussing various topics with all of you, from religion to gun control to politics. We live in interesting...

My girl is taking a break cause of my drinking. [ 47 Answers ]

Multiple threads merged Some background first. I am 27 she is 26. Me and her met about 2-3 yrs ago through a friend. We hit it off right away but never really got a chance to meet again until recently when our friend re-introduced us about 4 months ago. Since then we have been inseparable. We...

View more questions Search