Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sabbycat Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2008, 01:20 PM
    About TVM Calculations
    Is there a time recently when you could have (or did) use a TVM calculation to make a decision? What was the decision and how could (or did) the calculation have helped you make a more informed decision?

I am not really clear on what TVM calculations are used for.

Thanks for any help
    DozerOp3 Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Sep 21, 2008, 06:59 PM

TVM is used a lot in accounting. For example, it is used in lease and pension calculations. Accountants need to know the Present Value of future cash flows. This is so they can book enough money in their accounts to cover the money needed when the expense occurs. So, for pensions (in the simplest terms) you need to know how much money you will have to pay somebody each year when they retire several years from now. But, the value of the dollar now, is not equal to the value of the dollar in 10-20 years. So, accountants and finance people use formulas to determine how much money now will equal the money they need to have in the future. Make sense?
    sabbycat Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2008, 07:35 PM
    Yes thank you it did:)
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Sep 22, 2008, 08:39 AM

sabbycat -

TVM can also be used for trying to make personal financial decisions as well. For instance, let's say you had $10,000 that you wanted to put aside into a savings account or a CD. Your goal is to earn $2,000 (effectively turning $10,000 into $12,000).

Let's say one option is to put your money into a 5 year CD. Try to figure out what interest rate you'd need as a guarantee in order to achieve your goal.

Also, making a decision on a loan is another example of TVM. Let's say you know you can afford a car payment of $250 a month. You know that you have decent credit and the standard car loan term is about 48-60 months. So you can assume that you could get a reasonable interest rate of 2-5%. Assuming a 4% interest rate, how much car could you afford given a payment of $250 per month for 60 months?

There are plenty of examples of how TVM can be used practically in everyday life. Let me know if this helped or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NPV,PI, and IRR calculations [ 1 Answers ]

I am considering a major expansion of a product line hand and have estimated the following free cash flows associated with such an expansion. The initial outlay associated with the expansion would be $1,950,000, and the project would generate from cash flows of $450,000 per year for six years. The...

Npv,pi, and irr calculations [ 1 Answers ]

I am considering a major expansion of a product line hand and have estimated the following free cash flows associated with such an expansion. The initial outlay associated with the expansion would be $1,950,000, and the project would generate from cash flows of $450,000 per year for six years. The...

GST calculations [ 5 Answers ]

I wanted to know how you take a total that already includes 6% gst and find out exactly how much gst was paid? Example: 45.00 includes 6% Gst-how much of the $45.00 is actually GST?:confused: Please show calculation. Thanks!

View more questions Search