Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Sep 21, 2008, 11:48 AM
    Who pays for dinner?
    If a girl and I are going out to eat and we are only friends and we both no that 100%, should I still offer to pay for her dinner? What if she expects me too? Going out to dinner was her idea so we can catch up on missed times.

Thanks!
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2008, 12:02 PM

IF you are just friends - you pay for what you ate and she pays for hers. It's nice to say "I'll pay for it", but you don't have to.
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2008, 10:50 AM

I agree. Me and my fiancé have a friendship-based relationship. He likes to pay for dinner if and when we go out, but I usually offer him the money for what I ate. He usually doesn't take it, but I leave it in his car or stick it in his poket anyway. Every so often I do let him pay if he really insists. It makes me feel guilty having him pay, but it makes him feel guilty if he takes my money, so either way one of us will feel guilty! Your best bet is to just pay for what you ate. If it was her idea to go out, I'm sure she'd have no trouble paying for her share.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 25, 2008, 11:12 AM

Friends or even people dating ( you all are not going to like this I bet) should share costs or at least take turn paying if you are doing things several times.

My girlfriend often pays for luch or some event, and I pay for it other times.
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2008, 11:18 AM

If any one person is going to pay- yeah you should take turns. That's how we do. But just splitting the bill is basically the same difference, and it's probably best if this is just a one-time deal.
    Boristheblade Posts: 141, Reputation: 17

Oct 6, 2008, 02:03 PM

Paying for what you buy is appropriate between friends, offering to pay is OK, but she would more than likely refuse-if you're just friends.
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Oct 18, 2008, 12:09 AM

Go dutch. OR you could say something like I'll get it this time, you can get the next one. It sets the bar for what is expected.
    mikedem7 Posts: 104, Reputation: 13

Oct 18, 2008, 03:18 AM

Me and my friends always just split the bill. Women or men it doesn't matter. But if a friend has no money I will pay because the time we had was more important than the money, and visa versa when I am broke.
    Sarwat_86 Posts: 18, Reputation: 0

Nov 12, 2008, 12:50 PM

If you are just friends than there is no need to pay her bill.But of course it is nice to ask her as a formality for paying her bill.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eat dinner [ 2 Answers ]

Do I have a right to eat dinner by myself I am 11 years old my mom always wants me to eat with her what should I do

Going to be at the same dinner out with ex! [ 8 Answers ]

Hey all, well have not been on here for a while have not really felt like I needed to. But last week had a bit of a drama I had an email from my ex saying how much he misses me like crazy and how he sometimes thinks about us talking our problems through and being happy again.. then sent another...

Dinner Etiquette [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, My son whom is 16 is dating a very nice young lady, her parents have invited us to dinner This evening. My question is , should I take something to go along w the dinner ? Thanks Slew

Dinner invitation? [ 2 Answers ]

I received a dinner invitation on my answering machine from a friend I generally see every few months. It was to be at her home in 21/2 weeks. As I was away when the message was left, I returned her call about 4 days later once I was home. I reached her answering machine, expressed my apologies...

Holiday Dinner - try something new! [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone have any other thoughts?? Rosemary Garlic Roast Turkey By Evelyn Raab This recipe belongs to the following categories: ChristmasDinnerHealthyLunchMain CoursesMake AheadThanksgiving If Italians had invented roast turkey, it would turn out something like this. Wonderfully...

View more questions Search