Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maria26 Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

May 17, 2006, 10:43 PM
    Guys Opinions Please
    To all the guys... if you had a girl call you every day for months for business advice (truly) would you be irritated with her? I tried calling once or twice on a friendly basis but his married and I don't want any trouble... just business... (I mean we talk personal after business conversation ends)so... irritating to get a call like this every day for months?
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

May 17, 2006, 11:10 PM
    I personaly wouldn't be irritated. Just as long as it stayed on a semi professinal basis.
    No romantic intentions any wher.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 18, 2006, 04:44 AM
    Every day for months? Yes, I'm sorry to say, I would become a bit irritated long before it became months, whether the caller was male or female.

I would be trying to steer the person toward a book or website or something to help him or her learn the stuff himself. I like to help people but I'm as busy as the next guy; every day for months just seems extreme.

... just my opinion, as you asked :o
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2006, 05:39 AM
    Hi,
    I do agree with the previous answer. Every day?
    There is more here going on than just Business!
    Your best bet might be to NOT take any calls from that person. If it means not having that person anymore for business advice, then so be it.
    It's your choice. I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

May 18, 2006, 08:16 AM
    well. I don't want to completely rehash the discussion about married men having women friends. I think it can be OK when done with respect for the marriage, but in a completely different post about half the people, mostly women, were not comfortable with the idea of a married man fostering a new friendship with a woman. With the divorce rate and cheating that goes on, I can see their point. People can be weak.

so... you stated that this is about business primarily, and then transcends into casual talk over time. I can tell you my wife talks to a lot of people on the phone in a manufacturing setting. Most are men. Many she knows well enough to call friends and some she talks to nearly daily, some perhaps more than once per day.

I guess the problem I have is why in the world would you need to talk to someone everyday about business questions? If the call is directly related to your work (ie - placing orders with the person or other tasks which that person must be involved with) then OK.

but outside of this, I cannot falthom why someone, outside of a new hire, would need to call me every single day with business questions for months.

what exactly is the nature of the business and what kind of questions are you asking. Perhaps an example could give us some perspective.

if I assume your questions are just random, honest inquiries then id say, yeah, it might annoy me. At some point you need to take charge of your career and make mistakes on your own. Everybody can use a mentor. It's a great way to get things in line when you're learning a business. But calling a person everyday is taking time away from their doing their business... again, unless that business is directly tied to your questions.

so then the last possibility is you like the person enough to find excuses to call. As I said, I believe a woman can forge a friendly relationship with a married man, but it takes discipline and the utmost respect for his marriage. You should have no other motives and should not embellish any that he might lead you on.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 18, 2006, 08:28 AM
    Everyday for months, Yes I'd be irritated if I wasn't getting paid I mean how much free advice do you think you deserve!:cool: :rolleyes:

May 18, 2006, 02:11 PM
    To answer someone's question as too wheather it is based on business.. it it when I make money he gets a percentage so he would want me to succedd so he can collect his percentage of it.
    And thank you everyone for your input it helps me... I need to remember time is money.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2006, 02:33 PM
    Im going to have to go with the general consensus here. Every day for months is overdoing it.

Does he sound annoyed with your calls? Is he trying to help but being short with you?

What's wrong with email? Can still chat personall but your not always interupting whatever the other person might be doing.
    HarryPT Posts: 21, Reputation: 3

May 18, 2006, 03:06 PM
    What about his wife ? Lol pretty soon she will think there is something between 2 of you (out of my own personal experiance)

May 18, 2006, 04:26 PM
    No he has a strong marriage... and we talks about his wife occasionaly as well. We do emails as well, but I have little patience to wait for a response to a question... he tells me I need to learn that. And as for being short with the answers.. no sometimes its half an hour and others straight to the question and a got to go remark.
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2006, 04:59 PM
    Where do you sit with this, maria? Are you a little infatuated with this man?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

May 18, 2006, 05:29 PM
    Having to field phone calls for business advice every night for months on end on my own time would indeed get quite annoying. My wife certainly wouldn't like it either and rightly so. If the shoe were on the other foot and my wife was getting "business" calls from a male colleague every night for months on end I certainly wouldn't tolerate that either.
    Jahiem28 Posts: 103, Reputation: 5

May 18, 2006, 06:22 PM
    I must say there are limitations to everything. Calling everyday for months seem a bit excessive to me.

May 18, 2006, 07:45 PM
    Thank you all for the advice... and to the statement about calling at night.. never only business hours. And no I am not infatuated with this man, I am involved with someone at the moment... do I respect and admire him, yes he has qualities in him that intrigues me. I will just remember a very good point time is money.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 19, 2006, 10:25 AM
    Sorry, but if someone needed my professional help after work, it would only be once or twice. After that, I'd have a talk with the individual, show him/her the proper way to get professional guidances for the type of job requirement needed. If this continued thereafter, I'd change my phone number as the individual still did not get the message that I had a private life and intended on keeping it private.

Ultra Member

May 19, 2006, 10:31 AM
    If there really isn't a romantic attachment ANYWHERE within yourself, I do not see a problem with it... as long as he feels the same way. I would think that after this much time, you would have picked up on whether this was a big problem with him.

I have professional relationships with some of the girls at a partner company and we will converse about eachothers personal life. Its never been a problem for me.

But if you feel an attachment growing with this person, you may want to restrain yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

For the GUYS! This sums up most guys problems here. Another great e-mail from DD [ 21 Answers ]

This is an e-mail from David Deangelo. He is 1000% correct here. Guys - LEARN from this. It's long BUT almost EVERY guy here does this... ***QUESTION*** Hi Dave, I recently bought your ebook because I have met a Girl that I am really into and I must make it work With her. You are...

Need opinions [ 2 Answers ]

My nephew has an outstanding warrant for drug use. He did not appear in court. His dad signed a 5000.00 surety bond and he did not appear. Since the first incident my sisters home has been raided once again. They did not find my nephew there. They did arrest his dad (my brotherinlaw) for stolen...

Just looking for some opinions on a case [ 6 Answers ]

I was charged with trespassing. I entered a school, requesting at the administration to speak with a individual from that school. This was denied, and I was asked to leave. Upon exiting in the corridor area, the student was there, they invited me to speak with them. I spoke with them and a...

Would appreciate some opinions on a relationship. [ 5 Answers ]

First, I'll start by saying I'm not sure how well I could put in to words the entire situation I'm in, since it's hard to describe personalities and things of that nature, but I'll try. The thing is, I've been dating this girl for nearly 4 months, and things are going wonderful. It's past the...

Your Opinions Wanted [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, A person asked this question at another question/answer websie: Sometimes my toshiba laptop slows down at any program I'm using. I go into Task Mangager and then under the Processes tab it shows 100% usage at the bottom of it so I have to reboot the PC to run normal. Why does it do this? ...

View more questions Search