Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RICHARD ECK Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Sep 20, 2008, 02:50 PM
    Medicare premium deductions
    I give up on your website. Can't even ask a simple question and get a simple answer. I just wondered how I can stop the deduction of medicare premiums from my social security check?

Rich Eck
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 20, 2008, 03:15 PM

Well not sure what to give up on? You have not asked any questions to now. And to be very honest and frank, complaining about not something when you have not done anything up to this point.

But first why do you want to stop it, since without medicare withdraw there is no medical part B ( medicare part A is not what you are charged for) So you would have no hospital coverage, no coverage for medical tests or supplies.

But you will have to contact medicare to have it stopped. I believe it has to be done annually unless you change over to a medical insurance plan that is a manged care plan.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 20, 2008, 03:17 PM

Richard, you need to give it some time. You only joined today, this is your first post, and you should know that we are real people with real lives who VOLUNTEER our time here. We do this for free in our spare time.

Also, the person who may have the answer to your question may not be online at the moment as it is Saturday and many folks spend the weekends with their families. It can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few days to get an answer.

So, please be patient.

Sep 20, 2008, 03:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Well not sure what to give up on ?? you have not asked any questions to now. And to be very honest and frank, complaining about not something when you have not done anything up to this point.

But first why do you want to stop it, since without medicare withdraw there is no medical part B ( medicare part A is not what you are charged for) So you would have no hospital coverage, no coverage for medical tests or supplies.

But you will have to contact medicare to have it stoped. I believe it has to be done annually unless you change over to a medical insurnace plan that is a manged care plan.
    I have full coverage through the Veterans Adminitration with only copays for prescriptions because of my low level income. I see it as double coverage and quite honestly I can use the extra almost $100 per month to buy food. The economy has me strapped to the penny.

Sep 20, 2008, 03:49 PM

I do apologize for my impatience. It has been a frustrating day relating to my computer and of course I took it out on you folks.

Please let me off the hook this time and I will promise to do better.

Thanks, Rich Eck

Sep 20, 2008, 03:51 PM
    I will appreciate any advice you can offer and I need to sign off for now. Thanks again.

Rich
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2008, 04:26 PM

Yes, I was wondering about that as well. How do you decline the Medicare stuff? That's an extra $100 a month that some people would like to use for other frivilous stuff like food or gasoline.

Sep 20, 2008, 10:46 PM
    At one time I was considering cancelling the medicaare coverage and was advised not to because of the possibility of an accident while traveling. I have emphysema now and with the co2 24/7 requirement I don't travel anymore, just in town.

I think, but am not sure that one can decline the coverage but should you decide to rejoin at some future time there would be a penalty.

I can't seem to find a website that tells me how to get the form required to decline coverage and exactly what penalties are involved.

I really need to do this before I lose my home.

Thank you for listening and answering.

Rich Eck
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2008, 09:53 AM

Richard - I have spent considerable time on the net researching Medicare Part B. That's what you are being dinged for each month - not Medicare itself. You should go to the VA and have them explain what your monthly VA benefits actually cover before you drop the Medicare Part B tough. Would highly recommend you talk it over with them as yes, you could be paying double premiums, but should you cancel Part B you would be subject to a penalty of 10%++ each month penalty permanent surcharge if you decide to go back onto Part B. And the fact you have emphysema is also distressing to me should you decide to stop Part B as your medical bills could skyrocket should you need to be hospitalized. You also need to look into getting some sort of financial assistance due to your service in the military. This could also be available to you. Look under every rock before you cancel your Part B coverage. If you were in great health with no serious health concerns, then that would be a totally different ball game. Right now, please don't cancel anything before talking in person with someone who knows what they are talking about at both the VA and the Social Security Office.

Sep 21, 2008, 12:31 PM
    Thank you so much for all your effort. I have been with the VA, and my wife also since we are both Koren Vets.'

Even though we are not disability related, because we are on Social Security income only we both quilify without cost for VA healthcare completely including surgeries. The only co pay we have are prescriptions and that is $8 per 30 day supply.

We have been this way for about 5 years now and, the VA just completed surgery on my eye for Cataracts. The second eye will be scheduled soon.

Unless there is a complete change in VA regulations I think we are both safe with that coverage. One never knows though.

I am not normally a gambling man but because we are in such dire consequences with our financial problems I think it might be worthwhile to cancel the Medicare coverage.

The oxygen supplies, by the way have been covered for 5 years also.

Again, thank you so much and I also apologize for my rudeness at the outset of my question.

Rich Eck

I just happened to think that there will be some question about traveling. I realize that if I was traveling and had problems I wouldn't be able to go to any hospital if there wasn't a VA hospital available. With the oxygen requirements 24/7 I can't travel by plane because of their restrictions and high cost to use their oxygen, I understand it is as high as $500 per leg of a flight.

I am also altitude limited. One of our sons lives in the Arizona mountains at about 6000ft. I am unble to breath at that height and my Pulmonary Dr advises that Tucson is about as high as I should go with hurting myself. We are about 2200 ft.

AT 76 and my wife at 80 we don't need to travel further than the Gas Station and Grocery store anyway. That's about as far as our money goes anyway.

Wasn't seeking sympathy but maybe it will help some other folks a bit if they are thinking about the same thing.

Thank you again so much'

Rich
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 21, 2008, 02:05 PM

Also many things will depend on where you live, not as to dropping part B ( since part A is not a optional issue ) I will use my dad for example, he was in the VA home, but if and when there was an emergancy, the local hospital was closer, not the VA, so he was rushed there, had he not had medicare part B he would have owed 100's of thousands before he passed.

Sep 21, 2008, 02:24 PM
    I suppose there always is that possibility. We live in Tucson and are about 10 miles from the VA hospital on the Southwest side of town.

ST Mary's is the next closest hospital but I believe it is further away. I would have to check mileage but 911 has come to my home before and taken me to the VA.

If for some reason I was across town and it happened then it most likely would be a problem but what are they going to do if I have no money? The only thing we have is our home and an old car. Our nest egg, only about $100.000, was lost in the market downturn so we have no savings or other retirement. Only a couple of small life insurance policies. I suppose they could take that but tucson is constantly allowing the illegal mexicans free medical care. Don't you think they might for an old american??

I know that sounds political and maybe naïve. But one can't get blood from a stone.

Am I wrong in my thinking??

Rich

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bond Premium [ 1 Answers ]

What is the effect of amortization ont bond premium on: 1. Annual Net Income 2. Annual Net Cash Flow form operating activities

H1B-Premium processing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi One of my client wants to apply H1B visa for me. In case if they are applying for the H1B visa for April 2007 on a "PREMIUM CATEGORY'. When can I start working in USA. After I get VISA confirmed can I start working in USA immediately or do I need to wait until Visa processing for all the...

Premium Gas [ 4 Answers ]

I've Heard That Premium Gas Has A Fuel Stabilizer In It, Which Of Course Is Better For Vehicles That's Tend To Sit Long Without Being Used. Is That True? Other Than Premium Gas Being Less Likely To Cause Engine Knocking, Is There Really Any Other Benefit For Premium Gas? Is There Really Fuel...

View more questions Search