Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunnysidegal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2008, 12:21 PM
    Law Firm Debt Collectors
    Hi!
    On 9/4/08, I received a collection letter (from a law firm)for credit card debt I admit I owe, maybe not as much, I think they have tacked on $1,000.00 in fees. They offered me a settlement for a little over half but they want it in 2 weeks. I paid $1,000.00 already but will not be able to get the rest of the money in until the end of next month. Will they sue? How long before I have to go to court? I'm in NC, I have heard they cannot garnish my income, can they take my house or attach my bank accounts for such a low amount?
    ANY help appreciated!
    Susie
    ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Sep 20, 2008, 10:37 PM

Laws vary from state to state, but they can sue and get a judgment. Once that happens they can place a lien on your property and garnish wages. The tacking on interests and fees is legal. If you have made a good faith payment, call the law firm and ask for some time to pay it. It's only a two week time difference. Also they must send you something in writing settling the case for 50% and that you will not be held liable for any additional fees or amounts. MAKE SURE you get it in writing. If you don't the settlement is not legal and they can go after you for the difference.
    ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Sep 20, 2008, 10:41 PM
    Looks like you may be correct

Wage Garnishment and Bankruptcy Exemptions -- North Carolina
    WAGE GARNISHMENT EXEMPTION: All of last 60 days earnings needed for family's support; garnishments not granted to general creditors (only for government services and taxes)

MAXIMUM INTEREST RATE: Legal: 8% Judgment: 8%

STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS ON ENFORCEMENT:

Open Account (credit card): 3 years
    Sale of Goods: 4 years
    Written Contract: 3 years
    Domestic Judgment: 10 years
    Foreign Judgment: 10 years

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt Collectors [ 1 Answers ]

I have many debts. I have one specific debt collector calling 5 or 6 times in a row when I don't answer. I have no extra money to pay. I am on disability and my husband has no income since he had a heart attack - so we are just getting by on disability. I have a Debt Collector who left a...

I live in Toronto, Canada and I purchased something back in 2001. I had lost my job and didn't go back to work until 1 1/2 yrs ago and the company bugged me by calling asking for money right up until about 1 1/2 yrs ago. I received a phone call tonight by a credit company (HSBC) saying that they...

Debt collectors [ 2 Answers ]

I owe a debt to Starwood Vacation Owners (timeshare). They placed the debt for collection with a debt collector in 2005. A "second" debt collector has tried to collect on this same in 2007. My question is: How can two debt collectors collect on the same debt? THIS APPEARS ON MY CREDIT REPORT AS IF...

Is it legal for a debt collector to ask a minor where his or her parent is at(when they aren't home) and then tell the minor that they will keep calling "monday, tuesday, wednesday, and so on." (If they do not answer that question.)??

Debt collectors [ 2 Answers ]

Is it legal for debt collectors to call aquaintances in order to contact me about a debt? Do they get phone numbers from my phone records

View more questions Search