Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buxzz2001 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2006, 11:26 AM
    Troy Bilt Mower
    Went into the garage to start the mower and nothing. Won't turn over or anything. Does that mean that battery is dead? It's about 11 months old.

Troy Bilt Bronco
    • 42" Twin-Blade Side Discharge Deck
    • C.V.T. continuously variable transmission for simple speed shifting
    • Cast iron front axle for durability and strength
    • Standard protective front bumper included
    • StepThru frame for easy on and off
    • Standard cup holder
    • Accepts optional FastAttach mulch kit or bagger with no tools required
    • 2-year limited warranty
    • 18.5* HP Briggs & Stratton I/C engine

Any suggestions?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 17, 2006, 12:32 PM
    Yes I would check the votage of the batter first thing, then follow along to the starter and the swtich if you do have power at the battery.

If the battery has just been sitting, not being started and ran for a while, or perhaps key left on, various things can go wrong, and as a person who sells batteries ( in electric wheel chairs) at times they just go bad.

May 17, 2006, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Yes I would check the votage of the batter first thing, then follow along to the starter and the swtich if you do have power at the battery.

If the battery has just been sitting, not being started and ran for a while, or perhaps key left on, various things can go wrong, and as a person who sells batteries ( in electric wheel chairs) at times they just go bad.
    Leaving the key on would kill the battery? That may be the problem. Does that mean I need a new battery or can I recharge this one? It is only a year old.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 17, 2006, 01:06 PM
    Yes normally if you leave the key to the on positin, it is just like in your car, there would be a small drain.

Normally if you have a battery charger for your car, you can merely put it on the battery and let it charge for a bit. ( I have even jumped my riding mower off my car battery with a set of jumper cables) then while the mower is running it should self charge.

(not a lawnmower expert by any means, just things I have learned from 30 years of mowing)

** best thing I learned last year was to hire it done.

May 17, 2006, 01:51 PM
    Thanks for all your help. I'm going to borrow my FIL's charger.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2006, 06:08 PM
    Btw, most lawn and garden batterys barely even last a year, the battery that comes in them, if it's a good name battery like diehard, etc. may last 2 or 3. I haven't had good luck with everstart batterys like that sold at walmart. If you charge the battery, leave it on for a few hours at least. I've had better luck with maintenance free batterys though.

May 18, 2006, 11:56 AM
    Charged the battery and I still get nothing. Not one sound. Is there a kill switch that may not be working? Any other suggestions?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2006, 07:48 PM
    Quick question... does it have any warranty? Then let them deal with it. Working on it yourself might void it.

NOW, have you tried a different battery or jumping from a different battery? There's the possibility of that one being dead as a door nail basically. And you are of course doing all the things listed that you have to when starting it?
    cf1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2006, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thebriggsdude
    Quick question.... does it have any warranty? Then let them deal with it. Working on it yourself might void it.

NOW, have you tried a different battery or jumping from a different battery? Theres the possibility of that one being dead as a door nail basically. And you are of course doing all the things listed that you have to when starting it?
    There's a fuse on your troybuilt, its on the side of the dash, take the side cover off. Its 20 amp...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing Oil, Troy Bilt Riding Mower [ 5 Answers ]

I am ded3 and new at lawn care. I have a Troy Bilt riding mower and would Like to know where to drain the oil in order to change it as well as an easy Way to get to the spark plug. Can anyone help in simple language for Beginner?

Troy Bilt Riding MOwer (Bronco) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a troy bilt riding lawn mower (42 inches deck) bought last year. I am looking to put a bagger with chute on it. Do you know if a Craftsman bagger ( 6 Bushel 2 - Bin Hard Bagger for 42" Deck ) will fit? I know all most of the available mowers in the market are built by MTD, do the...

Troy Bilt Self Propelled Mower [ 8 Answers ]

I have a fairly new Troy Bilt self propelled mower. The propulsion system is not working properly. If the wheels are held off the ground they do turn but once they are set down, they do not propel the mower. I could take it in but then I wouldn't get it back for weeks. Any ideas for a "fix" I...

Troy-Bilt riding mower quits [ 2 Answers ]

My 1997 troy-bilt mower quits running when I disengage the break and/or engage the mower. I've been told it was a safety switch. Any tips..

Troy-bilt mower and electric PTO clutch [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing the lower drive belt on my 23hp Troy-bilt pedal drive garden tractor. The last step in removing the belt is to remove the hex bolt from the center of the electric PTO clutch. When I try to loosen the hex bolt part of the electric clutch and the engine pulley turns at the same time....

View more questions Search