Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lbrowne Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2006, 09:12 AM
    Prepping for a garage pad!
    Hey fellas, getting close to starting this project and here is what I got listed so far.

1. Bobcat work, getting a contractor to come in a clear out a patch and remove the topsoil from my property. He'll go down at least 8 inches, and will keep going till he hits the hard clay.

2. I'll rent a compactor and flatten the ground, once this is done, I'll call in the gravel to be poured.

3. level out the gravel and compact it down. (using marked stakes to ensure level of gravel across the patch.

For the friend who is coming down to help with the concrete pour, I want to have as much of the grunt work down before he gets here so he can focus mainly on the technical parts of the pad build.

How thick of a gravel underlay is good for a 24x24 - 26x26 pad? I'm getting quoted a fully tandem load of it.I'm going with a 4 inch thick concrete pad, and researching whether to use the welded wire mesh or rebar.

As far as the forms go, once they're laid out I'll be digging a small trench around the inside of the forms so that it basically creates a sort of footing for the pad.

I have all the quotes and rates for tool rentals at the local home depot, bull float etc for finishing.

I'm basically looking for some tips on the initial part of prepping the ground for the pour, before setting the forms. If you have any tips of tricks please let me know. Sorry for the long post!

Thanks!

lbrowne
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

May 18, 2006, 05:44 AM
    Is this an attached garage or an out building? Will you be heating it? If so, you will need to insulate below the surface with foam boards.

You may want to consider putting down a couple of inches of foam insulation between the gravel and concrete just in case. (use plastic under the foam as a vapor barrier)

And, even if you aren't going to heat it now, you may want to put in a radiant floor heating tubing anyway. It is much cheaper to do it now than later.

When you compact the gravel, make sure to do it in layers and not all at once. I seem to recall 3-4" layers work best. as long as you end up with a 4-6" layer at the end. The more time and effort you put in at this stage will mean a better result down the road.

I like the idea of the trench around the perimeter. It seems to make sense.

As for rebar vs. mesh. That is a personal decision. Does your buddy have a preference? Just make sure that whichever option you go with that it ends up in the middle of the pour and doesn't sink to the bottom.
    lbrowne Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2006, 09:27 AM
    Detached garage.

I was going to get my area cleared, pack down the ground and have the gravel delivered - but I was going to have it dumped in my cleared area. I guess I can spread it around and layer it but I'm a bit stumped on the area under the pile. :confused: I'll figure it out I guess.

Would it be a good idea to layer out my gravel, going beyond where my forms/footings would be and then place my footings after? That would seem to make more sense.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

May 18, 2006, 07:30 PM
    Make sure the soil is compacted. Then you can add the gravel. You may want to rent a "dingo" (thats what HD calls them.) They are a walk behind mini skidsteer. They come w/ a bucket attachment, augers, etc. This will help spread the gravel and save your back. You don't really have to compact the gravel as long as the earth is compacted but if you have the compacter then do it.
    When you set up your forms you may want them pitched to the door opening area so any water runs out of the garage if your not installing a floor drain. When you install the forms make sur the stakes holding the forms are cut below so they don't interfer when you screed.
    Diging out a trench at the form area is a good idea. This is what they call a monolithic pour.
    Go with the mesh. As your pouring get a garden rake or a hooked tool and pull the mesh up into the poured concrete. You want it about half the thickness of the pour. Use your judgment when pulling up on it.
    I would recommend the day following the pour to cut control joints in the slab so any cracking happens in the cuts and doesn't spider web across the floor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garage door [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter drove my truck into my garage door.I have allstate. They said that even though I have full coverage, That the garage door is not covered. Since it is my house and my car. I have property damage, and the work's Is this true? Do I have have to pay for the garage door?

Detached garage pad [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to get some information on building a garage starting with the Pad. I am planning on building a 22X26 detached garage. The rough grade was completed about 4 months ago. It is a clay base with no topsoil added yet. Should I get a bobcat in to remove a couple inches or just pack down...

How do I get 100 AMPs to my Garage [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to wire a 100 amp service to my garage. I have a 200amp main entrance box in my house and would like to get power to a panel box in my garage. The panel box I have to put in the garage has a 100 amp main disconect with 12 cicuit spaces. Questions: Can I simply put a 100 amp...

Wet garage floor [ 3 Answers ]

Help, this is our first winter in a new condo four unit building. It appears the garage floor is pitched toward the house and a flood of melting snow and ice are constantly at the entrance door. I can't see myself sweeping out water after every in and out with the car. Is there any products or...

Garage FLoor [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Our garage floor is concrete slab, and is in rather poor condition, i.e. the slab is chipping. Are there any materials that can be put over the floor to relevel it without having to repour the concrete. My main reason for asking this is that an epoxy or polyurethane coating over the...

View more questions Search