Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karuss Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2008, 07:44 PM
    Generator and washing machine
    Hello - I'm in Houston, and I haven't had power for a week courtesy of Ike. I have a 5500 kW generator, which is running everything we need beautifully, except the washing machine. The washing machine will wash the clothes, but it can't spin.

Does anyone know what could be the problem?

Thanks very much,

karuss:eek:
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Sep 20, 2008, 07:08 AM

The agitator works through a gearcase in the machine... it's less load on the generator. In spin, the gears are a higher ratio, which is more load. Starting current in-rush is high, and a 5.5kw generators' flywheel is simply to small, to store enough kenetic energy to get past the in-rush... Good luck...
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2008, 01:37 PM
    5.5 Kw should be plenty. I'd try the washing machine just connected to the generator and nothing else.

Sep 20, 2008, 07:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rsain2004 View Post
    The agitator works through a gearcase in the machine...it's less load on the generator. In spin, the gears are a higher ratio, which is more load. Starting current in-rush is high, and a 5.5kw generators' flywheel is simply to small, to store enough kenetic energy to get past the in-rush...Good luck...
    Okay, that is reasonable enough. What if I had a 20 Amp cord to the generator? The generator can pull twenty amps, if nothing else is plugged in... I got hold of a cord and I might try it tomorrow.

Which means I might really screw up my generator tomorrow. I don't understand enough about it to prevent a problem...

Thanks,

karuss

Sep 20, 2008, 08:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    5.5 Kw should be plenty. I'd try the washing machine just connected to the generator and nothing else.
    I did try that prior to posting, it still didn't work. The largest power cord I had at the time was a fifteen amp, but my neighbor loaned me a twenty amp cord. I am guessing when it goes to the spin cycle it pulls more than fifteen amps, and the machine can't get it from the generator due to the insufficient power cord.

The literature on the generator says it can pull up to twenty amps, if nothing else is plugged in, I might try it tomorrow.

What do you think?

karuss

Sep 20, 2008, 08:04 PM
    The agitator works through a gearcase in the machine...it's less load on the generator. In spin, the gears are a higher ratio, which is more load. Starting current in-rush is high, and a 5.5kw generators' flywheel is simply to small, to store enough kenetic energy to get past the in-rush...Good luck...
    Here is the other thing, I have seen other people run their washing machines on smaller generators than this one, but they are running top loading machines, whereas mine is a front loader.

They funny thing is, lots of people can wash, but can't dry, and I can dry no problem, because my dryer is gas and is a 120.

Thanks for your help

karuss
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2008, 08:06 PM

That should work as long as the cord isn't extremely long. What does the nameplate of the washer say in terms of HP, VA, FLA, or Watts?
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Sep 20, 2008, 11:26 PM

Many factors effect a generators' performance, which doesn't help you much at this time. In future, consider: is the unit brushed or brushless? What kind of governor does it have, and is it properly adjusted? The "droop" setting of the voltage regulator and governor is important. Regretably, in this "New and Enlightened" age, quality control seems to be a reincarnated issue... We can't trust "New" to be "Factory Set-up is done correctly" at this time. All the best...

Sep 21, 2008, 09:42 AM
    That should work as long as the cord isn't extremely long. What does the nameplate of the washer say in terms of HP, VA, FLA, or Watts?
    115 AC, 60 Hz, and 12 Amps - so I've got the wattage on the generator.

karuss

Sep 21, 2008, 09:45 AM
    Many factors effect a generators' performance, which doesn't help you much at this time. In future, consider: is the unit brushed or brushless? What kind of governer does it have, and is it properly adjusted? The "droop" setting of the voltage regulator and governer is important. Regretably, in this "New and Enlightened" age, quality control seems to be a reincarnated issue...We can't trust "New" to be "Factory Set-up is done correctly" at this time. All the best...
    Okay, that seems reasonable, but unfortunately, I don't know how to adjust the voltage regulator. Finding somebody who could do that right now, with all that's going on down here, I might get lucky, though.

Thanks for your help,

karuss
    jdavid Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Sep 21, 2008, 09:46 AM

Does it have a belt? Is the belt wet?Will the pump pulley turn?

Sep 21, 2008, 09:48 AM

Interesting about the cord length. The cord we got is maybe 6 feet long. How come that makes such a difference? If it makes such a difference, then maybe there is a problem with the 100 foot 15 amp cord I have? Maybe it's too long.

Thanks for your help --

karuss

Sep 21, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavid View Post
    Does it have a belt? is the belt wet?Will the pump pulley turn?
    Pulley turns, it will spin on the low setting, I figured that out last night. But on low setting, the dryer takes forever to get the moisture out of the clothes. So only a few go through at a time, still better than nothing.

Thanks, karuss
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2008, 11:16 AM

What wire gauge is the cord? There will be a voltage drop that's proportional to the resistance of the wire and the current through it V=IR. 12 AWG would be less than 14 AWG. The starting current of the motor may pull it too low.

Sep 22, 2008, 02:39 PM
    What wire gauge is the cord? There will be a voltage drop that's proportional to the resistance of the wire and the current through it V=IR. 12 AWG would be less than 14 AWG. The starting current of the motor may pull it too low.
    12 gauge. As an aside, I actually did try it with the twenty amp cord today, and the washing machine shuts down completely when it gets to the spin cycle. I think that's it, if I haven't already fried the circuit board, I will be lucky.

Time to go to the laundromat.

Thanks for your help, I've learned a lot - but there is something about this machine which isn't responding to regular parameters.

karuss
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2008, 04:34 PM

Some devices can be finicky especially if it expects the frequency to be exactly 60 Hz.

Most UPS systems have to be generator compatible to work. A varying frequency in and a fixed frequency out.

When power gets restored, report if there are any ill effects. I doubt it.

Meanwhile you could make a call to the mfr and inquire about generator compatibility.

Sep 23, 2008, 08:18 AM
    Some devices can be finicky especially if it expects the frequency to be exactly 60 Hz.

Most UPS systems have to be generator compatable to work. A varying frequency in and a fixed frequency out.

When power gets restored, report if there are any ill effects. I doubt it.

Meanwhile you could make a call to the mfr and inquire about generator compatability.
    Good, that gives me some comfort. I will call the mfr and see what I can do.

I will let you know on the flip side. 11 days, no electricity, it's getting old.

Thanks,

karuss

Sep 24, 2008, 06:56 PM

You aren't going to believe this, my neighbor just returned from an offshore rig in Libya, and he came over, and grounded the generator. I had not done that.

Washing machine works great. The electric company says it will be either four more days or two more weeks here. Depends which rep you get.

Thanks for your help,

karuss
    AJ1G Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2012, 08:19 PM
    I am having the same problem getting my Frigidare front loader to spin and even agitate when running on my 17.5KW Generac portable generator. I certainly have plenty of power available, I am feeding my main power panel with a 50 amp cable through a professionally installed and approved transfer switch. I suspect that the reason the front loader is not running is that its solid state direct drive speed control does not like something about the power quality of the generator output, most likely its frequency stability or harmonic content, and the control system is faulting off as a result. I think that the supply voltage is OK, its currently about 110VAC and well regulated. Top loaders would be less likely to be fussy about power quality, as they usually have their drum speeds and agitation controlled by gearboxes vs an electronic speed control, using a constant speed AC motor.
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2012, 08:59 PM
    I would tend to agree. You might try a harmonic filter: http://literature.rockwellautomation...r004_-en-p.pdf

Buy one rated for the washer, not the generator to keep costs down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine makes grinding noise when washing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Maytag Performa washing machine - about 5 years old. It makes a grinding noise when washing. Spin cycle is still quiet. Any suggestions about what to check?

What makes a washing machine stop drainingthe dirty waterMy washing mach [ 2 Answers ]

My washing machine stopped draining. I have no warranty on it and I'd like to know if it's something I can take care of myself without the cost of a technician coming to my house

Washing Machine Drain- How high can machine lift H2O [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... Thinking about moving the washer down in the basement but the main sewer drain leaving the house is about 2' off the floor. There is currently a sewer lift installed for downstairs toilet that complicated cutting into the existing drain for new Y. Without getting to detailed, there is an...

Toilet closest to washing machine gurgles and backs up when washing machine drains. [ 2 Answers ]

When the washing machine drains, the toilet in the next room gurgles and the bowl partially fills. I have taken these steps: Ran hose down vent pipe on roof. No backup noticed. Had plumber snake from outside wall cleanout by washing machine and 1/2 bath toilet to city sewer line in alley,...

View more questions Search