Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MaximumSize Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2006, 04:26 PM
    Hampton bay 7 light Track system... Nothing Works
    Okay I installed a track light about a year ago and it has worked for that time. A few weeks ago everything failed on it. None of the lights work. I took it apart and tested the main power coming into the light, from the breaker, it tested out okay. Insdide the fixture is a transformer and another box. I am assuming one is a transformer, and the other some kind of regulator. I had some people look at it that work with electricity more than I do, but there tesst were sketchy. Some time they said they were getting a Volatge reading and other times not. Finally one guy thought he fixed it, so I hooked it back up and nothing. I tested the track and it is not getting voltage, I tested the lamps and they are not getting voltage. I just can't figure it out, any help would be appreciated. Here are the specifics on the light fixture.

Hampton Bay
    5 lights, and 2 pendant lights
    10 foot track in 3 pieces that have to be connected
    12 volt fixture hooked up to standard 110/120 line

Added 5-17-06:
    I forgot to mention that it is a flexible track. The power from the fixture touches the top of the track I then screw a cap on the bottom of the track which tightens the track up to the power from the fixture The lights work the same way... Just thought I would add that
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 16, 2006, 04:33 PM
    Is there 120 volts at the feed terminals of the track, where the buildng cable connects directly to the track? If so, then use a tester to test donwstream of these terminals, which will be the two copper bus bars that run the length of the trak, They may be hard to see, inside the channel of the track, one on either side.

Since not one track fixture works, sounds as if one of the track bus bars does not make connection with the feed terminals. Until you can get, and keep , power on these bars, the fixtures will not work.

If for some reason one of the bars broke connection from a feed terminal, do yourself a favor, and take the track down and discard it. Go to a lighting showroom and purchase a reliable track light brand, such as Halo, LightoLier, or Juno, or anything other than Hampton Bay.
    MaximumSize Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2006, 04:20 AM
    Thanks for the advice, I forgot to mention that it is a flexible track. The power from the fixture touches the top of the track I then screw a cap on the bottom of the track which tightens the track up to the power from the fixture The lights work the same way... Just though I would add that
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 17, 2006, 07:24 AM
    There is a bad connection someplace , most likely at the contact points of the power feed and the track. I doubt that you can either access to clean these contacts as they are probably pitted. Best to replace the unit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan-light works-fan doesn't [ 6 Answers ]

I installed a new Hampton Bay ceiling fan outdoors and the light works from a wall switch but the fan doesn't work at all. There is a white, black, red and ground wire coming from the ceiling. There is a white, black, black/white stripe (light) and green ground coming from the fan. I attached...

Hampton bay fan remote works the speed not light [ 3 Answers ]

I installed this fan OK... it was fine for 2.5 years now the remote only works the fan speed. It does not work the lights. I removed the fan and checked connections which are good.Luckily the fans lights are in the on position and POWER is through a wall switch,that controls the lights. But I wish...

Joining 2 Hampton Bay Track Light Kits [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought 2 Hampton Bay track light kits which included a "straight connector" piece, which is supposed to be used for joining 2 fixtures together. The connector piece does not just attach the fixture housing, but actually does connect electrically. There is no mention of this in the...

Hampton Bay track light warranty [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought Hampton Bay tracklight kits from Homedepot; I could not find product warranty on the instrution menu, and the staff from Homedepot do not know either. Do you know any of these tracklight warranty?

Hampton Bay Track Head light [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved into a Condo that has a Hampton Bay Track Head and one of the lights is not working. How do I remove the light to replace it?

View more questions Search