Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dave5150 Posts: 39, Reputation: 5

May 16, 2006, 02:59 PM
    Prenuptual Agreement
    I have been working hard and saving money since high school and I expect to inherit some money in the fairly distant future. How can I ensure that I don't lose half of my assets if I get married and she turns out to be a goldigger who divorces me in a year or two. I have heard that prenuptual agreements are not always 100% effective and judges have been known to rule them invalid. Hope some lawyers are reading this. Thanks.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 16, 2006, 03:50 PM
    Although I sense some problems really can't be effective solved like this, you better make an appointment with a good lawyer or get yourself a better "woman picker" (which is a lot easier and cheaper too)! ;)

And if you remain that concerned with it, perhaps not marrying at all ought to be on the plate as well. Its not the end of the world to remain single.

If single isn't an option because procreation is on the plate, then I would ask you very seriously to re-evaluate why you would have children with someone you don't trust with your very life, never mind your bank account? :eek:

It really does all tie together, if you think about it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 16, 2006, 07:33 PM
    The trouble with future prenuptual agreement is that no two marriages are the same. For example I don't know how much money you are talking about. But in general for example if you start a business, and the one party works hard making the business, the judge may decide that a prenup restricting their part of the business would not be fair.

The more the money, the more they will fight the prenup.

But the best thing you can do is try and have an attorney write up the best one you can do and hope you don't need it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 17, 2006, 06:33 AM
    I would look into the bigger question of why marry someone you didn't trust? Having said that, see a lawyer and get expert advice on how to protect your assets from your wife!! Personally I would stay single until I found someone I could trust with my life and my money!:cool: :eek: :rolleyes:
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

May 17, 2006, 11:17 AM
    I once heard it said that it is better in the long run to hire "professional companions" than it is to get married to the wrong person.

As I get older, I can understand where that idea comes from... I can't say that I agree with it, but it is one possible approach to life that is easier.
    dave5150 Posts: 39, Reputation: 5

May 17, 2006, 03:17 PM
    Is a "professional companion" something that really exists or is it just a code word for a prostitute? I don't go for that sort of thing. Good joke though.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2006, 07:25 AM
    Hi, dave,
    I do disagree with the idea of finding a woman who you know you can trust!
    That also goes for men, too.
    My first marriage ended in Divorce after 7 yrs, with 2 small boys. I had no idea that would have ever happened! Been married for 29 yrs now, 2nd marriage.
    As another answer stated, it depends on how much money you are talking about. I would also advise talking with a lawyer, getting Professional opinions.
    If you are talking a lot of money (don't know what a lot is!), then you can afford to talk with a lawyer. I second the idea of a lawyer drawing up a degree, if you find someone you want to marry; if this is a big concern.
    Best of luck. Also, it doesn't help the confidence any that in the United States now, over half the marriages end in Divorce!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

May 20, 2006, 06:19 PM
    Personally I don't believe in prenuptual agreements. That's practically admitting that the marriage isn't going to last before it even happens! I don't know too much about the legal technicalities involved with them so you may want to talk to an attorney regarding that aspect of it. I couldn't tell from your post whether your situation was an actual one (i.e. you're engaged and about to be married) or a hypothetical one regarding some future possibility. Either way, if you felt that someone was just a goldigger, why would you even consider marrying them? Do you have considerable wealth and assets so that a "goldigger" would consider pursuing you in order to get a piece of your estate? If not then I don't think you have much to worry about. For the most part the only assets that would come into question in a divorce proceeding would be those that were jointly acquired during the marriage, such as houses, cars, investments, etc. Any personal heirlooms owned by you prior to getting married, such as a rare work of art for example, should not come into dispute as that had been your personal property before the marriage so you'd be entitled to keep it after the marriage ended.
    robc68fb Posts: 41, Reputation: 5

Aug 29, 2006, 01:35 PM
    I agree, check with a lawyer. I Inherited a house & propery from my grandmother while I was married before we got divorced. In my state, gifts such as this were considered mine. In my case, the main thing I did right, was not to have her name put on the deed when I inherited the property. The only thing I would have had to pay her for was any increase in the value of the property. As it was, we had taken out a home equity loan for fix-ups & the loan amount took away from the increase in value, so I owed her nothing. :) I'm sure things are different from state to state, so be sure to check with a lawyer first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loan Verbal Agreement [ 6 Answers ]

I got a loan for a so called friend/ex roommate for about $2,000 under my name because she didn't have the credit. It was a verbal agreement and nothing in writing. This loan comes/use to out of my account monthly and she would pay me cash on time and/or until she got money to pay it all of or her...

No written lease agreement [ 3 Answers ]

No lease between landlord and myself. Landlord refuses to make repairs. I have not paid rent. Have only been in house for 2months Landlord send a typed letter stating he wants me out in 6days. Is that legal in Indiana?

NEED HELP --Lease agreement [ 3 Answers ]

On April 18 I filled out an application for an apartment for June 1 and gave a $649 deposit to be held for last month rent. The next day they called and let me know I got the apartment. Since then I got back together with my girlfrend and moved back with her. I contacted the apartment company on...

Non-compete agreement [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if a non-compete agreement is legally binding in Pennsylvania in sales

Lease agreement [ 1 Answers ]

I just Received a notice from my landlord that he going to up the Rent in June, Ive been living here since the late 80's. Twards the end of the notice, he writes, "New Month to Month Lease Required". And I'm not sure what's meant by that and this guy is kind of a slickster... Can anyone Help?...

View more questions Search