Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    journeaux Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2008, 11:48 AM
    Blood groups
    How can a mother with a blood group AB+ and a father with a blood group of o+ have a son with a blood group of A-
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 19, 2008, 11:49 AM
    No. It's not possible since both parents are Rh + the child will be positive also.
    journeaux Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2008, 12:02 PM
    But I have done a blood group calculator and it said that my child could be either A+ B+ or A-B-
    Expert

Sep 19, 2008, 12:09 PM
    Again, using a punnet square, if both parents are positive, then the child has to be positive.
    Expert

Sep 19, 2008, 12:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by journeaux
    but i have done a blood group calculater and it said that my child could be either A+ B+ or A-B-
    What about O? The father is O+ correct? Why did you leave O+ out of the calculations?
    Expert

Sep 19, 2008, 07:01 PM
    jem02081 disagrees: It is possible. 1/8 of the kids will be this phenotype A-
    Please show me your references. Mine are medical texts that I used to get through nursing school.
    jem02081 Posts: 65, Reputation: 19

Sep 19, 2008, 07:07 PM
    How can a mother with a blood group AB+ and a father with a blood group of o+ have a son with a blood group of A-
    J_9 is mistaken.

There are two separate traits here The AB blood group & the Rh blood group.
    At the AB locus, Mom has an A and a B allele while Dad has 2 O alleles. So 1/2 of the children will be blood type A (phenotype)
    A son who is Rh- must have inherited an Rh- allele from both of his parents, This means that both of his parents have an Rh- allele. They are said to be heterozygous for Rh (genotype). Their phenotype will Rh+

Make sense?
    Expert

Sep 19, 2008, 07:15 PM
    Please provide your references.

Sep 19, 2008, 07:17 PM
    A reference for a dihybrid cross or my reference?
    Expert

Sep 19, 2008, 07:29 PM
    The reference you used to answer this question. AND, I digress, you are correct and my Nursing reference was incorrect. In doing more research, it is possible that the child in question here has either a positive or negative rhesus factor. While the negative factor is quite rare in this case, it is still a possibility.

Remember that your disagree to me stated that only 1/8 of the children will receive this factor, that leaves 7/8 that will be positive. So, while I was incorrect, the chances are slim, but still possible that this child is negative.

On this link from the University of Arizona, Biology Department, there is a blood type calculator in the lower left hand corner. When using that calculator, one can see that I was incorrect.

Blood Types Tutorial

Sep 19, 2008, 07:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    The reference you used to answer this question.
    I have a PhD and had taught genetics to undergraduates (including nursing students) at an American University for more than 10 years. You shouldn’t have to look this up. This is a simple "Mendelian dihybrid cross" (google it)

The question was
    This question is asking if it is possible. The way to solve this question is first figure out the son’s genotype and then to work backwards to see if this can “fits” each parents’ genotype.

It’s a separate question to ask what is the likelihood (probability) of a specific outcome.
    They are A+ = 3/8, B+ = 3/8, B- = 1/8 & A- = 1/8
    Expert

Sep 19, 2008, 08:03 PM
    Thank you for pointing this out. I have no problem admitting when I am wrong, and I was this time. :o

I also found this that is more in layman's terms for the OP to understand, again, it shows where I was totally incorrect.

Someone who is "Rh positive" or "Rh+" has at least one Rh+ allele, but could have two. Their genotype could be either Rh+/Rh+ or Rh+/Rh-. Someone who Rh- has a genotype of Rh-/Rh-.

A mother who is Rh- can only pass an Rh- allele to her son or daughter. A father who is Rh+ could pass either an Rh+ or Rh- allele to his son or daughter. This couple could have Rh+ children (Rh- from mother and Rh+ from father) or Rh- children (Rh- from mother and Rh- from father).
    So, in this case, yes, the child can be negative.

Again, I apologize for my incorrect answer to this particular question.

Sep 19, 2008, 08:09 PM
    Thanks for responding,
    I hope to avoid hospitals, but when I'm in one I hope to run into a RN like you
    Expert

Sep 19, 2008, 08:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jem02081
    Thanks for responding,
    I hope to avoid hospitals, but when I'm in one I hope to run into a RN like you
    Thank you very much for the compliment. I'm not perfect, I make mistakes, as we can see here (thank goodness for having a system in our hospital regarding 2 nurses double checking medication doses... :o )

After working 36 hours in a 72 hour period, sometimes my brain turns to mush and I rely on people like you jem, to correct me where I am wrong.

I work in the L&D department, and my reasoning for my answer (besides my incorrect text) is that when we have parents who both have positive alleles and the child is negative through a cord blood test, we automatically and systematically re-test the blood. In all my time as an L&D nurse (I have to update my profile as it is quite old now), I have yet to run into this particular situation. That is another reason I responded the way I did.

Thank you again for correcting the error I made previously.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hunt groups 101 [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything out there that can explain, in detail, what a hunt group is? Is there ever a reason you would want a hunt group set up if you're not using circular hunt? Wouldn't you want to just set up line 1 with CFBL/CFDA programmed to fwd to line 2, and line 2 with CFBL/CFDA programmed to...

In groups I shy away from others [ 3 Answers ]

The other day I was taking a babysitting class, and there was a break, all the other girls quickly got into groups and started talking, but not me no, I went to the wall and watched the others, like always I figured "they'll think i'm intruding, i should just play it safe" by playing it safe I mean...

Blood Groups [ 2 Answers ]

We all know there are 4 types of blood present in human beings in the world. Namely, A, B, O and AB. I want to know what is the most frequent group found in the world population and whch is the least? I would also like to know the percentages of different blood groups in India and the World...

Posing groups [ 1 Answers ]

I plan on shooting groups of 15-30 people. What poses can you recommend for shooting a social organization? Is a 35-70 lens on a Canon T50 suitable for shooting groups of this size? In the past I've used a 28mm and the individuals on the end look out of focus.?

View more questions Search