Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lizzard Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Water softner noise while backflushing
    Hello I hope you have heard of this problem and can help me.
    When my water softener recyles itself and only then, I here a noise like it is shaking the pipes. When I go down to check on it, they really are not shaking but the noise is loud right at the softener. It seems to only happen when the water that backflushes is about to shut off and go to the next cycle. This just started not to long ago. The only thing that I did different in the plumbing department was to replace an outside faucet. One of those antifreeze type. I can't see where that would have changed anything, but Im no expert. What do you think? Have any ideas?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 19, 2008, 11:06 AM
    You might have knocked loose some debris in the piping and now its caught in the softner valves, that can also have all by itself. The rattle could also be a loose washer in the sopftner valves.
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Sep 19, 2008, 07:49 PM
    It is most likely air getting in the softener. It is probably accumulating a head of air in the top of the softener. Then, when it backwashes it purges it out. This could be coming from the brine line. The brine line connects the softener head to the salt tank.

Do you know make and model of your softener? If I had pictures, both close-up and distance, I can possibly isolate the problem.

What you might do is replace the little flexible tubing that goes from the softener control valve (aka head), and the salt tank. That tubing is frequently the issue. Sometimes it is the air check, which is supposed to not allow air to come into the softener.

Let us know.
    Al
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 19, 2008, 08:05 PM
    Make sure the bypass valve is pushed in all the way...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water softner loop [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! How much a water softner loop cost?

Water Softner [ 2 Answers ]

When I woke up this morning there is a puddle of water in my garage by our MacClean Water Softner System. The water seems to be coming from the Mineral Tank Base. What does this mean?

Whole water softner [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to understand the process in installing a whole house water softner... reason I ask the question is to determine whether I do it or do I get a plumber? Knowing what the steps are in installing this softner helps me to make that determination... I have installed hot water heaters so, I...

Water Softner not Draining [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore(sears) water softner that is about 7 years old. Over the past year it has been acting up and will not provide soft water. Lately it has been so bad that when you shower it feels like it stips all the oil from your skin. As before I looked into the softner and it is 3/4 full of...

View more questions Search