Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BlueBearcat11 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2008, 05:23 PM
    First Amendment
    Does the first amendment protect your right to see whatever movie you wish?
    BlueBearcat11 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2008, 05:23 PM
    ?
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2008, 05:43 PM
    The first amendment protects the right to express yourself, including:
    Free speech
    Free exercise of religion
    Freedom of the press
    Peaceful assembly
    Right to petition

I'm assuming you are asking about children getting into R rated movies? No, this is not a right.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 18, 2008, 07:15 PM
    No, movies are restricted by age

And of course movie theater are private owned and they can restrict who they serve
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2008, 06:43 AM
    The "state " must demonstrate that a limitation on freedom of speech and expression is necessary ;otherwise the 1st amendment is absolute. This has left it up to the court system and the legislative branchs to define the parameters and defend their decision in the judicial system. This is logical in that these freedoms are sometimes in conflict with other values.
    Regarding movies then ,the court defined in 1973 the "Miller Test " (Miller v California) that "obscenity " was not a right protected under the 1st amendment.
    The Miller test says that a movie is not protected if the average person, applying contemporary community standards, would find that the work, taken as a whole, appeals to the "prurient" interest.
    Whether the work depicts/describes, in a patently offensive way, sexual conduct or excretory functions specifically defined by applicable state law,
    Whether the work, taken as a whole, lacks serious literary, artistic, political or scientific value.

The rating system mentioned is a voluntary system that the motion picture industry agreed to.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 24, 2008, 06:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBearcat11 View Post
    does the first amendment protect your right to see whatever movie you wish?
    In a word; No!

The First Amendment restricts what laws the government can make limiting one's right to say what they want. The movie industry is NOT the government, Therefore, it has every right to restrict access to their content based on age or other criteria.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax amendment [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find out about receiving a amended tax return. I amended a 2006 return and sent it out in late April. Now it's July. When do I receive this return?

Tax amendment for F1 OPT [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My wife is currently on F1 OPT and I am on an L1 visa. We'd filed our 2007 taxes as "married filing jointly" and as resident aliens. My wife's employer had incorrectly deducted her Social Security and Medicare taxes. However, we got the amounts reimbursed after we provided proof of my wife's...

Tax Amendment? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a U.S. citizen, but my wife is canadian. She resides in canada while our paperwork goes through for her visa. I was told to file my 2007 taxes as single, since my wife doesn't have a SSN yet. Also was told that her income (earned in canada) will not count against my own taxable income. I...

Tax Amendment [ 2 Answers ]

Hi My Name Is Yvonne And I Was Wondering When Will I Get My Tax Amendment Refund Check ?

Tax amendment [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter filed her 2006 1040A and sent it to the IRS on March 7, 2007. She is expecting a return. On March 9, 2007 she received a 1099-MISC with only Box 7 completed. I have been told by the IRS she will need to file an amendment after she receives her return. The IRS said she will need...

View more questions Search