Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mommab3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2008, 06:23 AM
    Photographer damaged wedding photos
    I hired and signed a contract with a wedding photographer for my wedding, which took place 7/19/08. I paid him a down payment for the package which included pictures, a back drop, pre-wedding, a full day, and the pictures was suppose to be ready in one week. Come the day of the wedding. He did not take any pre-wedding photos of me, at the reception the back drop was only down for 10 mintues and no one took pictures on it. And the reception was from 6-midnight he told me at 8 he had to leave at 8. Came a week after the wedding the pictures were not ready and I have not heard from him. I called him every other day for a month and he never answer or returned any of my calls. I called him from another number and he called me back and stated that the pictures were damage. What is the amount I can sue him for? And what if I win and he still don't want to pay?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Hello mommab:

You can sue him for the amount you paid him - nothing more (although I recognize that you'll NEVER have your wedding pictures). If he doesn't pay the judgment, you can try to collect by seizing his bank accounts, and if he has a job, by garnishing his wages. But, collecting ain't easy - especially from a real flake, which this guy is.

excon
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Sep 28, 2008, 05:55 PM
    Under the circumstances you described we would sue for both a refund and an additional amount for the loss of the wedding photographs.

Whether you will get the later will be up to a judge. One of the questions a judge may ask is what steps did you take to try to obtain or take alternate photographs (ie. Getting pictures from guests or designating one of your friends as the photographer after 8pm).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 28, 2008, 06:24 PM

Normally you can only sue for the actual loss, the money you paid for the photos.

You can try more but seldom if ever is anything beyond actual cost. And if you do win more, they may appeal it to a higher court.

Ifyou win, and they don't just pay, you will have to find their money, find their bank accounts and find a way to garnish it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2008, 06:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice Matters View Post
    Under the circumstances you described we would sue for both a refund and an additional amount for the loss of the wedding photographs.

Whether you will get the later will be up to a judge. One of the questions a judge may ask is what steps did you take to try to obtain or take alternate photographs (ie. getting pictures from guests or designating one of your friends as the photographer after 8pm).

In the US this is a contract matter so the OP can't get any sort of punitive damages, anything above the failure to perform dollar amount.

It may very well be different in Canada.
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Oct 1, 2008, 05:03 PM
    We are in no position to contradict our learned American friends but we are puzzled that breach of a contract in the U.S. cannot result in damages beyond the cost of the contract itself. While we acknowledge that in some cases breach of contract does not warrant anything other than a refund we can theorize other cases where substantial damages could result from a breach.

For example, a concert promoter hires a band to perform at a concert. The band does not show up and the concert promoter ends up giving ticket refunds to the attendees. The cost of the refunds, the rental of the concert hall, and the projected profit from the event each exceed the cost paid to the band.

In the case posted by mommab3 the contract was for the production of some unique photographs which had a high sentimental value and cannot be replaced (or cannot be replaced easily). The loss of the wedding photographs is likely to be perceived by many as a greater loss than the monies wasted on an inept photographer.

While we recognize the subjective value of wedding photographs and the inherent difficulty in ascribing a value to them there are nevertheless many forms of property that have a value beyond their constituent parts that is wholly dependent upon what others place as the value. For example, a piece of art can be worth far more than the canvas and paints used.

It is also possible, although not explicitly stated, that certain scenic locations were specifically rented for the sole purpose of having photographs taken at them. In the absence of the photographs the costs associated with paying for the use of certain scenic locations is also lost.

We do not seek to contradict or debate our fellow posters (whom we respect greatly) but merely put forward our final opinion on the matter which, admittedly, comes from our Canadian experience.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2008, 05:42 PM
    Hello Justice:

You're right. Damages CAN be awarded beyond the contract amount if they're demonstrable. However, I believe my colleagues are referring to punitive damages only, and they aren't awarded in breach of contract matters as a matter of law.

Our northern neighbors have always been nicer than we are... Of that, I can personally vouch.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wedding Photographer lost originals [ 4 Answers ]

I live in NY and was married in October 2004. We paid a photographer approximately $2000 for services and $2500 for the album. There is no issue with the album. Over the years, we have purchased from time to time a couple 8x10 without any issue. Recently, we wanted to have some prints made...

The Baby photographer [ 5 Answers ]

The Smiths were unable to conceive children and decided to use a surrogate father to start their family. On the day the proxy father was to arrive, Mr. Smith kissed his wife goodbye and said, "Well, I'm off now. The man should be here soon." ...

Wedding photographer [ 5 Answers ]

I hired my wedding photographer 1 year before my wedding (last August). He was paid in full 2 weeks prior to my wedding (approx. $4,000). My wedding was August 5, 2006. I have spoken to my photographer twice since then!!!! I have sent him numerous e-mails and placed numerous phone calls to which...

Looking for a photographer [ 8 Answers ]

Hello. I'm looking for a photographer. I live in the LA County and I'm interested in hiring a younger person even someone just starting, to take some couple portraits of me and my boyfriend. No nudity or anything weird will be involved, I just think a younger person would be more open to what we...

Sceptical about photographer. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, Well basically this question really needs a bit of background information. Here goes. I am currently a part time non professional model for a local modelling agency, I have got quite an impressive range of professional photographs done for my portfolio, including head shots, fashion...

View more questions Search