Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashishCMH Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Which trees would be a good noise buffer?
    Greetings all,

My new build home is almost 200 feet from the railway tracks, and our community is near the intersection. The trains that go by need to blow their horns every time they pass by.

My question is simply - which trees should I plant so that I can have a great noise buffer in place by next year or so? My boundary is almost 100 feet from my house. Should I just plant trees or smaller shrubs as well? In which case, which ones?

I'm a practical guy and would like those trees to be more than just noise buffers. I'd love for them to be fruit bearing, beautiful, or pleasant smelling or a mixture of all.

We've been through the remnants of hurricane Ike and I'm not sure about planting big trees near my house but I'd love some shade. Please advise.

Thank you.
    Ash
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2008, 07:00 PM
    The most quick growing tree I know of is the Leland Cypress, growing at about a rate of 3 feet per year, some say. Sometimes they are planted close together to form a hedge. They will probably grow to about 60 feet.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2008, 07:33 PM
    Arbovita will grow fast, thick and remain green all year. They do have a pleasant smell as well.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 18, 2008, 09:08 AM
    At 200' from the tracks you will not achieve all that much noise abatement for many, many years. You may also want to read up on ways to improve the soundproofing of the home itself. Soundproofing Your Home: Soundproofing Windows, Walls and Ceilings
    vexation Posts: 49, Reputation: 5

Sep 18, 2008, 01:14 PM
    HELLO
    I agree with sound proofing our home it truly is the only way
    ashishCMH Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2008, 01:25 PM
    Thank you all.

ballengerb1, it makes sense to soundproof the home.

Another thing that I remembered - If I'm the only one doing the tree hedge, it's not going to help with the buffer. My neighbors will also have to get in on this.

Thank you all for your inputs. Please keep letting me know which vegetation would be good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buffer solutions [ 4 Answers ]

I want to ask how to prepare buffer solutions pH(1 - 12)?

About pH and buffer [ 1 Answers ]

Help me with this: What would be the ph of a solution made by dissolving .1 mole of acetic acid and .1 mole of sodium acetate in 1 liter of water?

Buffer solution [ 1 Answers ]

What is buffer solution I'm using it in my chemistry coursework for GCSE and I need to know pleez xxxxx

Buffer problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have no idea how to start with this problem. Please teach me step by step in detail. Here is the probrem; One of the factors for maintaining blood pH is the ratio of /. Knowing that the sum concentration of biocarbonate and carbon dioxide in blood is 0.0252M and that the pKa for the...

View more questions Search