Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bf1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Insulating around can lights in conthedral ceiling
    I have a cathedral style ceiling and I putting recessed can lights in. Im wondering what type of insulation I can get behind the can light so that the coldness of the roof and the warmth of the can light won't create any moisture. There is only 1-2 inches between the top of the lights and the roof. What can I use or is it going to be a problem
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Sep 24, 2008, 09:49 AM

If the fixture is IC rated you can put any insulation around it, check to make sure you have the right kind of fixture and read the manufacturers information.

Recessed Lighting Guide Recessed Lighting Tips Help and Advice
    HelpSkippy Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2008, 09:27 AM

Contact the manufacturer and stop looking for answers on the internet. Are you going to hold us responsible if your lights catch fire because you wrapped them in insulation? A simple call to the supplier or manufacturer should sort this out.
    pelletier13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2008, 06:33 PM

Can lights have "hoods" that can be put over them. Some come with them, some do not. If your insulation covers the can light, it will get too hot and shut off. The way to insulate around can lights is to put the insulation as close as you want to it, but do not cover it due to fire or obsessive turning off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan lights too dim [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Antigua fan with an add-on light kit (4 bulbs). I also purchased the wall mounted remote control. It worked fine up until a few weeks ago. Now, all four bulbs are extremely dim. I've tried higher wattage bulbs but there just doesn't seem to be enough power to light them...

Lights dim on ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

I have a remote on my ceiling fan. Until last night it worked fine. It cuts the lites on and off. I noticed this morning that the lites come on , but are dim. The fan works fine. What could be the problem?

Ceiling fan lights [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan that is hooked up through a dimmer switch. The fan blades seem to operate as expected. However, the lights over the last few months have faded to the point where they are very dimly lit even though the dimmer switch is turned to the 100% on position. In this...

Four ceiling fan lights [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Big dummy here. I took the light fixture down to tighten up the four light fixtures attached thereon and didn't write down the way it was wired up before I unwired it. :o So. Here I sit with four groups of wires, one black and one white for each light, on the lower half and hanging from...

Ceiling fan and lights go off and on [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 20 AMP circuits to my bathroom running off same circuit breaker. One circuit powers a ground fault receptacle and vanity lights. Other circuit powers ceiling fan, ceiling fan light, a ground fault receptacle and shower light. This circuit goes on and off but GF or breaker do not kick off....

View more questions Search