Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    utuvai Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 11:15 AM
    Avoidin Lien or Wage Garnishing
    Hello Sir/Madam:

I was sued by my credit card company. The court rendered a judgement against me. How can I prevent them from putting a lien on my property or garnish my wages?

Sincerely,
    Morteza Zamani
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 11:40 AM
    The thing is, morteza, they couldn't get their money so they had to go to court to get satisfaction and that was the judgment. Now, the judge says they can put a lien on your property, garnish your wages, or freeze your bank account. You can call them and maybe settle and try to avoid all these unpleasant options, or just let them do their usual task of getting their money, the only way they know how. The thing is, now you have to pay more because there is all that interest added on.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2008, 10:09 AM
    Unfortunately, you can't prevent either of those scenarios. As tickle said, they weren't getting their money from you so they took it to a higher power.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2008, 04:42 PM

Leins against property is one thing. Garnishing your wages is another. The only way to keep one step ahead of them from garnishing your wages would be to keep quitting your job and getting another job. Then the plaintiff has to refile the Wage Garnishment paperwork and start all over again. Are you willing to keep changing jobs each time they find out your employer? It's up to you. Your job history is going to look pretty sketchy after a few years with this sort of job hopping.
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Sep 28, 2008, 06:18 PM
    The easiest way to avoid having enforcement proceedings being taken against you is to pay the creditor in full. If you can borrow the money (ie. Debt consolidation loan) you may also be able to negotiate the debt down since many creditors will discount a debt if a single lump sum payment is made (often by 10 - 20%).

If payment in full is not possible then you may be able to negotiate a repayment plan that precludes the creditor from enforcing the judgment so long as payments are being made. You may also be able to bring a motion for same in the small claims court depending upon the rules of your particular jurisdiction.

Lastly, you could file for bankruptcy as this will put an end to both the debt and enforcement of the judgment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreclosure wage garnishing? [ 1 Answers ]

I was recently served my foreclosure notice. I was aware of this coming and am aware my credit is going to destroyed and I will lose my house. I was wondering if the bank or banks can garnish my wages to make up for their money lost?

Wage Garnishment on lien satisfied on sale of House [ 1 Answers ]

We sold our house specifically to get out of debt. Now, we have a wage garnishment against my husband on one of the judgements that was supposed to be satisfied when we sold our house. The same document number listed for the court is the one listed in our Schedule A payoff from the title company....

Ex is garnishing my wages [ 3 Answers ]

It is a long story. Ending up with him saying I owe him $20,000.00 . I have to stop him leaglly. But I need help. Living in Florida... Know of any good lawyers in Hillsborough county?:confused:

Garnishing in my [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I were awarded a judgement and would like to go after this guy to collect our money. It has been 2 years and he has moved around but never paid us a dime. We need to know how we can garnish wages, bank accounts and income taxes without having vital information (ie. Social security...

View more questions Search