Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gstevens97 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2006, 06:38 AM
    Replacing a 240 volt outlet with a 120 volt oulet
    We've switched to a central air conditioning system and no longer need the 240 volt outlet by the dining room window. The house was built in 1928, updated in 1957, and again a couple of ad hoc times thereafter. The wiring is at times very old, brand new or somewhat old. My guess is that the 240 volt outlet I'm trying to replace was installed in the 60's. I'd like to make this outlet a 120 volt outlet so we can use our traditional electronics. I've read on this list a couple of ways to go from 120 to 240, but not specifically the other way around. Is there a safe way for a home owner to do this?

Greg
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 15, 2006, 11:28 AM
    This can be done by replacing the 2 pole circuit breaker feeding this outlet to with a single pole, the wire left over needs to be identified as a neutral by coloring it white at both ends, and connecting to the neutral bar, and the outlet needs to be replaced with a standard 120 volt receptacle.

This will require you to open the circuit breaker panel. Unless you are comfortable working in a live panel, you will need a qualified electrician to do this. Check around with local contractors, this should not cost more than a service call, plus the parts.

May be good to have an electrician look at your wiring, judging by your explanation of the wiring.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

110 volt versus 220 volt mini heat pump [ 6 Answers ]

I have enclosed my screened porch to create more living space(Florida Room). I am using a single zone mini split ductless heat pump for heating and cooling. It has been calculated that I need a 12,000 BTU unit. However, most of these units are available in 110 volts and 220 volts. The 220 models...

3 amp 25 volt light switches [ 5 Answers ]

I Am Upgrading A House That Was Built In 1963 And The Light Switches Have Never Been Changed,the House Was A Ge Home And All The Light Switches Are Low Voltage.does Anyone Know Where I Can Find Replacement Swithches?they Are 3 Amp 25 Volt Switches.

Question on 220 volt [ 4 Answers ]

How can one identify 220 volt appliance besides looking on the appliance? Does 220 volt devices have the same 3 prong (with ground) or two prong configuration on the plug or does something look different indicating that it is 220 volts? Lastly, I know on 20 amp appliances the plug has one...

120 volt outlet from 240 volt outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I understand that it is possbile to wire a 120 volt outlet from a 240 volt outlet. My 240 volt outlet has 3 wires in, white, black, and a ground. Do I wire the 120 volt outlet from the either wire and the ground? My voltage meter indicates that connection is 120 volts. Is there any down side to...

480 volt ballast [ 1 Answers ]

Hello currently looking at setting up 480 volt 1000 watt high pressure sodium ballasts. Primary power is 600 volts 60 amp. From that what is the max amps I can use at 480 volts? A qualified electrition will be doing that part... then the trick will be working with the wiring and setting up...

View more questions Search