Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wooddude Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 05:19 AM
    Dental Gold
    I had my teeth extracted and requested my gold crowns back. I was told that it was against the law to give me back my gold because it was a biohazard. Does anyone know if this is true, and where I can find that law
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 06:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooddude
    I had my teeth extracted and requested my gold crowns back. I was told that it was against the law to give me back my gold because it was a biohazard. Does anyone know if this is true, and where I can find that law
    As far as I know, if you paid for gold crowns originally, then you have every right to request YOUR gold back. It is certainly worth a heck of a lot more now then probably when you had the work done.

That is a line they are handing you. Go back and demand they give you your crowns back ! If they don't, report them.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2008, 11:41 AM
    Interestingly enough, according to the CDC, if the dental office disposes of the teeth, they have to be treated as a biohazard under the bloodborne pathogens standard. However, it is acceptable for the dental office to give patients their extracted teeth if they request them, at which point they do not need to be handled under the bloodborne pathogen standard.

Although an interesting thought occurred to me... if the insurance company paid for the crowns (in full or part), are they entitled to any of the profits if the patient sells the gold? And can you sell gold that is attached to a tooth part? In that case, I'd think that the biohazard standards would come back into play, since you would be exposing the person receiving the gold to whatever infectious diseases you might have.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2008, 02:35 PM
    I've always gotten my teeth back once they were extracted (they were not gold filled, etc) just regular teeth. I was told that my teeth were biohazard material(?) and I took them back wrapped in gauze. I think they're pulling your leg on this one. Go back and demand they return your teeth.
    Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7
    Although an interesting thought occured to me... if the insurance company paid for the crowns (in full or part), are they entitled to any of the profits if the patient sells the gold? And can you sell gold that is attached to a tooth part? In that case, I'd think that the biohazard standards would come back into play, since you would be exposing the person receiving the gold to whatever infectious diseases you might have.
    I don't think the insurance company comes into play in a case like this; the gold is in crowns in ones mouth, so the gold belongs to the person, not the insurance company. The crowns could have been done twenty five, thirty years ago, so it makes no difference I am basically paying for my dental insurance, so the gold would be mine to do with what I please. As for the biohazard, once the gold is melted down again (and it is done still attached to the teeth) there is no possible way a germ is going to survive that heat treatment.

Wooddude is being treated to some very unethical practice by this dentist who seems to be very greedy. He has to go back and get those crowns.
    Cedric J Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2008, 02:14 PM

Sounds fishy. Although it might be against the law to put them in your teeth, I really think they should have given them back to you
    CT Ciss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2013, 12:48 AM
    Extracted Gold Dental Materials belongs to The PATIENTS Per OSHA: Biohazard Material is For Health Care Providers and Staff. Does not apply to The Patient. If The Dentist refuses to return your Extracted Dental Material GOLD or otherwise then you are being Ripped Off - PERIOD.

This happened to me, contacted OSHA and this was my surprising Answer.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2013, 08:39 AM
    Tickle answered this in September 2008 - when it was first asked.
    Expert

Jul 28, 2013, 12:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Tickle answered this in September 2008 - when it was first asked.
    Amount of gold in teeth is negligible anyway. It looks like a lot but isn't. It mounts to far less then a gram.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mark on gold ring , is it really gold? [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a "gold" ring that was advertised as 10K gold but upon receipt I find that the mark is not exactly 10K. It has what looks to be a capital U with what looks to be an arrow passing horizontally through it from left to right, but the arrow tip is not visible, only the arrow "tail", It is...

Dental work inexpensive at Dental Schools? [ 1 Answers ]

In the Raleigh-Cary area, do any of the Dental Schools offer inexpensive routine care for seniors on a tight budget? Thank you, Bob

Dental [ 3 Answers ]

This is reddy please provide solution I am suffering with some dental problem Just I need solution. My problem is I will take brush daily twise but I don't know what happen Very bad breath coming from my mouth How to avoid this please give suggesions Thanks in advance

View more questions Search