Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeJeffey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2008, 08:08 PM
    Old cast iron pipe joints leaking
    Our house was built in 1925 -- cast iron waste pipe and stack going to roof. Last several years, we've had a problem with sewer smell. Removed sections of several walls, found almost the stack joints seem to be leaking -- smell, but no liquid, ever. The lead seal is pushed up and separated from the pipe itself. We've been caulking the joints with exterior latex caulk -- lots of it -- on top of the joints. Seems to work-- no more smells. BUT: will the stuff under the metal -- the oakum -- swell up and push the new caulk out, thus making it leak again? Or has the oakum swelled as much as it's going to, and so the slathering of caulk on top of the joints a fairly permanent solution? How does old oakum behave?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 16, 2008, 08:17 PM
    Oakum is prtty much like an oily rope. It is driven into the collar with special tools that look like a broad cuved screw driver. You will see some soon because I am not going to recommend you learn how to lead a pipe. Leave it for old gezzers like me and the other pros. Either get that piep professionally re-leaded or torn out and replaced with a PVC stack. DO NOT CUT IT DOWN YOURSELF, it can weight a ton and come crashing down on your head. Its lie removing a chimney, start at the top and take small pieces.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast Iron Pipe Joints problem [ 12 Answers ]

I'm trying to remove a 4" bronce/copper(?) pipe from a cast iron hub. The joint appears to be solded with lead. I heated the joint with a hand held gas torch expecting to losing up the lead but it did not make a dent on it. I have opted for hammering the pipe out but it is showing harder that I...

Leaking cast iron waste pipe [ 3 Answers ]

First, my thanks to those who answered my last question. I epoxied the pipe and covered it with mastik. Still a few small drips but I think another coat will fix the problems. Sink drains fine, tub drains fine, toilet is the one that causes the drips. My thinking is that the waste pipe has a...

Leaking cast iron waste pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I have an old house. There is a 4" cast iron waste pipe that services the bathroom in the middle of the house. It has cracked across the top of the horizontal pipe in the basement right past the joint that connects the vertical to the horizontal. The length of pipe between the collars is about...

Damp to wet seams at cast iron pipe joints [ 1 Answers ]

What I should use to seal the joints of cast iron pipe ? These are the drains for the toilet and the sink . They may get a drip or two at each joint . Thank you

View more questions Search