Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EZE71 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2008, 07:23 AM
    Heil Furnace-Combustion fan comes on but furnace does not come on
    I have a 10 year old Heil furnace. When the furnace tries to come on the combustion fan comes on but nothing happens after that. The pilot does not come on, no flames, nothing. I hired a service tech and he said that we need to change the gas valve since it faulty. Is there anything else I should do before I change the valve first, and how hard is it to change that valve myself. They're charging me an arm and a leg to do it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 10:38 AM
    The sequience of a working furnace
    1. the tstat sends power to furnace
    2. the combustion motor comes on
    3. when all is clear the igniter lites up
    4. then the gas valves clicks (you can hear it) opens and allows the gas to enter burners
    5. the burners fire up
    6. when the temp is hot enough the blower will then come on and blow till the flames go out and the heat exchanger cools to certain temp, then blower turns off
    7,8,9, now notice the gas valve does not open and allow gas to exit if there is no working igniter
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Check it out again, this is not all that could be wrong,but will give you a start,not for sure which igniter you have, but you can check most with a continuity tester o see if there any breaks in igniter

Sep 15, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Mine stops at step 2. The igniter does not lite up, and the gas valve does not click. I have an electronic igniter. No pilot lite or anything like that
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Does it have a control board with a blinking light? If there is no code,you probably have a bad igniter,, it won`t go to step 3 if the igniter don`t work,, and that's a good thing

Sep 15, 2008, 12:52 PM
    I did not see any blinking lite. I'll go back and check today. I'll also check the igniter to see if it's even getting red or not. If that's the case then the gas valve is OK? Thankd for your help dude.
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 01:03 PM
    :) goodluck DUDE,, havn`t been called that since high school

Sep 15, 2008, 04:44 PM
    Got home and checked the furnace. The igniter does not come on (unless I am missing something). Does that mean it does not have anything to do with the gas valve? Is it the igniter?
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 05:05 PM
    If you have a tester you can check to see if the igniter is getting power at the time its supposed to be glowing, also you can unplug the igniter and check it for continuity,and know if its working or not
    wheatnbarley24 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

Sep 15, 2008, 08:13 PM
    Check and see if the little rubber hose fron the combustion motor to the pressure switch is clear of debris. The unit will not go to the second stage of operation if this switch doesn't close

Oct 2, 2008, 09:11 AM

Sorry guys I've been out of the country on business for a while and I just got back yesterday and changed the Gas Valve and the Igniter myself and I started it and it seems to work fine but is there anything I should be adjusting on the gas valve or it's usually set up from the factory. Thanks
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Oct 2, 2008, 06:06 PM

Unless you have a manometer handy then no. There is nothing that you can adjust on that valve. They usually come set from the factory.

Oct 3, 2008, 09:41 AM

Thanks for your response. I checked for gas leaks and there are none but I am still a little paranoind that I might have done something wrong but the furnace works fine. Is there anything else I should be concerned about that might cause a fire or something worse. Thanks for your help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heil Furnace [ 10 Answers ]

I have A Heil Furnace that starts up just fine Model #NDG1075DFo1, but after its running for 5 minutes or so it gets another call for heat, fills the gas box with naatural gas and re-lights this mix pretty violently. This may happen a few times during the heating cycle until the thermostat is...

HEIL furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Our heil furnace won't stay lit. It goes out after we release the pilot button. Any suggestion?

Add a fan only relay to my Heil LP furnace [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding an hydronic heat coil to my heil high efficiency furnace. I'm installing a 24volt relay wich I already have. I need to know how to wire this up. The furnace is a 1995 model. My objective is to run the fan on thermostat switch,and keep the LP heat for a back-up. Thanks

Heil furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I have bought a house with a furnace and I cannot get the pilot to light. I am asking for some type of manual so I can figure this out. The model is VG-80MD-1 and the serial is H73838067. The house was built in 1977 and I am sure this is the original Thanks for any info

Makeup Combustion Air for furnace [ 5 Answers ]

I have just finished my basement and my furnace is now in a room about 20 x 20. I had installed double doors (solid not vented) to enter the room which is also being used for storage. My question is do I need to add some kind of makeup air for combustion by installing a grill in the wall? ...

View more questions Search