Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 07:01 AM
    Where are we headed?
    With the current conditions of companies such as Lehman Brothers and AIG, what will happen to our ecomony?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2008, 07:28 AM
    Hello jj:

If these companies are allowed to fail, because they are indeed BANKRUPT, there will be some economic dislocations, but we'll recover.

If, however, the government continues to bail out Bushs' friends (the STOCKHOLDERS) with borrowed money, YOU and your grandchildren will be further burdened by debt that ISN'T yours and you DIDN'T bargain for. All the while, the people who are losing their houses go without help. When they're ALL foreclosed upon and on the street, WalMart and Burger King will have lots of new applicants, and we'll recover.

In the meantime, buy gold.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 07:35 AM
    Lehman goes belly up and creditors sell off the pieces at bargain prices.There are winners and losers in our system. One person's selling their home for less than they purchased is one person who bought the house at a relative bargain.

It doesn't help when blusterers like Alan Greenspan calls this a once in a century crisis or Sen. Chuck Schumer opening his blow hole ,and helping out his short sell buddies by giving a chicken-little squawk about IndyMac which probably caused the run on that bank.

I'm glad there is no bailout being considered ,although I have been in favor of extending Fed Discount rates to investment banks like the commercial banks get.

I think Lehman Bros was poorly managed . You don't see Goldman Sachs or Morgan Stanley in the same bind.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 07:50 AM
    I agree with both of you that they shouldn't be bailed out. Losing money is a risk we take in the name of Capitalism.
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Stocks took an early plunge this morning but are rebounding and today looks to be like any other trading day. The market will close down ,but it is not historic by any means.

It's a good time to have gold because the price is going to slightly rise due to India wedding season.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Sep 15, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Ex, don't you think it is extreme to say that ONLY Bush buddies hold stock in any given company? If it goes bankrupt, I'll bet there will be a lot of small stockholders that will lose.
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2008, 02:46 AM
    You'll know Dems are running the store by the lack of hearing hauling Richard Fuld Jr ;CEO of Lehman before Chris Dodd's committee.

As a hint ;here is his disclosure of his contributions to political campaigns.
    NEWSMEAT ▷ Richard Fuld's Federal Campaign Contribution Report

Obama has been a recipient of largess from almost every top Lehman exec.

Refer to this posting about Fannie and Freddie for additional information how the Democrats made the financial institutions their personal piggy banks and why there is no major call for investigations into malefeasance, and accountablility of all parties ,be they executives and principals of these organizations ,or corrupt legislators in oversight capacity.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/curren...ds-258796.html
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Sep 16, 2008, 09:35 AM
    When I see the campaign rhetoric on funding knowing that those in Washington with the longest tenures are the insiders, it's a joke to point fingers at each other, i.e. John McCain and Joe Biden. The fact is that it's not a Dem or Pub exclusion to the problem. The regulatory system has been in place since the 1930's and needs to be reformed. Deregulation, which is often a McCain mantra (the would be the Pubs), and permitting the old dilapidated system to continue (that would be the Dems) without reform will be the continuous culprit. Both candidates are understanding that now. McCain, now backed off his 'strong underpinning economy speech' (which was an outright farce) since the two financial titans succumbed yesterday, and Obama realizes the sub-prime is a helpful tool but can't be run a muck like the Dems and Pubs have in previous Congresses permitting it. Nobody is minding the school! We've all now witnessed the alternative in the past weeks of failed financial institutions. Regulations, that are good updated regulations are necessary, and need to be monitored to keep up with the times.
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2008, 09:52 AM
    Agree ;Regulations we have, although they are patchwork and in need of updating. What was lacking was oversight. Some of the sheep dogs were disguised as wolves. I want some accountability because regulations designed by the same ones who's fingers are in the cookie jar will not help.
    I still say we need an independent prosecutor.AG Michael Mukasey should appoint one immediately .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light headed [ 1 Answers ]

I have been extremely light headed and a little dizzy over the past few days. I am going to the Dr tomorrow but am interested to see some different opinions. I have been taking Lexapro but have missed the past week and a half as I ran out. Am wondering if this is the reason for the way I am...

Where is this headed? [ 1 Answers ]

Xx

Am I bored? Is it me? Where are we headed? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, Everyone! I first posted this question under dating but got little well no posts please help me. My question is one I have been struggling with for a while now. I have been with my boyfriend Mark for over 3 and half years, granted we started dating my sophomore year of high school we...

Don't know where we are headed.should I ask? [ 31 Answers ]

I have no idea where the girl I'm dating wants to go with this. We've been seeing each other for over a month, and recently started sleeping over each other's places about once a week. Her interest level is higher than mine, always initiating our dates and all the physical stuff that comes with it....

View more questions Search