Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sueran1102 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2008, 08:58 PM
    Business license
    Does anyone know what license I need to start a commercial cleaning business and about the cost of the license.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2008, 09:25 PM
    Are you sure that you even need a license where you will be operating your business, please?
    fjsmith81 Posts: 122, Reputation: 11

Sep 14, 2008, 09:29 PM
    I think there are different stipulations, like the size of your business, what state it's in, and so forth. I know that your first step is to go to your state's home page and click the link for businesses. There it should give you complete information on if you actually need a license and how much a license would be. Or you can just consult your attorney. You do have an attorney, right?

Sep 14, 2008, 09:40 PM
    I do not have a attorney, I have gone on different sites and get different answers . I live in Lakeland fla. I have never started a business before, so I don't really no how to start.
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2008, 09:52 PM
    Here are links to a couple of sites that are great with providing information about starting small businesses in the U.S. as well as the requirements that there might be according to where the business is operating.

http://www.sba.gov/

SCORE | Counselors to America's Small Business | SCORE

Concerning advertising your business for free on the Internet in order to beat the rest of the competition in the region that you will be working, I can definitely help you with that, if you would like to know how to do that.

Have you had any experience cleaning for others in order to make a profit for yourself, please?

Thanks!

Sep 14, 2008, 09:53 PM
    First of all, the key to being a successful business owner, small or large, is to have three things. A business plan, to set certain goals for your business, and it can even be something that you wrote down on a napkin(not really, but you get my drift). You need an accountant, which can just be some software for now, and you also need an attorney. An attorney is the one that answers all of these questions for you. They can set you up with licenses, employee contracts, and a tax id number.
    Btw they can also tell you what business entity you should form, my suggestion is an LLC, but that is just me.
    Oh, for you the only website that you should be looking at pertaining to Florida businesses is www.myfla.gov
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2008, 10:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fjsmith81
    First of all, the key to being a successful business owner, small or large, is to have three things. A business plan, to set certain goals for your business, and it can even be something that you wrote down on a napkin(not really, but you get my drift). You need an accountant, which can just be some software for now, and you also need an attorney. An attorney is the one that answers all of these questions for you. They can set you up with licenses, employee contracts, and a tax id number.
    Btw they can also tell you what business entity you should form, my suggestion is an LLC, but that is just me.
    Oh, for you the only website that you should be looking at pertaining to florida businesses is www.myfla.gov
    Yes, having some kind of business plan is important.

I have a number of small businesses that I run. I just have an attorney for tax purposes. If just getting started in a business like cleaning, for instance, it's not really necessary to be getting into a lot of extra extra expenses like hiring people or buying software in order to be able to do this and that.

I'm not an L.L.C. by the way, but just me. I have worked this way for many years now. It works in the location where I am in order to operate my businesses.

Sep 14, 2008, 10:05 PM
    Thank you for all the advice,I have been a bar manager for 17 years ,but now want to change my life and become a positive influece to myself as well as my children.this seemed like the only thing I could do ,that does not take a lot of money to start.
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2008, 10:09 PM
    What other skills and training do you have, please?

Thanks!

Sep 14, 2008, 10:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Yes, having some kind of business plan is important.

I have a number of small businesses that I run. I just have an attorney for tax purposes. If just getting started in a business like cleaning, for instance, it's not really necessary to be getting into a lot of extra extra expenses like hiring people or buying software in order to be able to do this and that.

I'm not an L.L.C. by the way, but just me. I have worked this way for many years now. It works in the location where I am in order to operate my businesses.
    No, a business plan is not important, it is a necessity. Sure there are people like you that say one day they want to start a business, they get lucky, and are successful. But for the majority of people they have a business plan.

Generally people that start businesses are good at what they do, unfortunately, they are not good at managing employees, knowing the laws, and knowing whether they need a license to actually run their business. This is where it is helpful to have an attorney because they can help you with all of this information. What would you rather do, pay an attorney $100 to write up an employee contract or pay thousands of dollars in court because you thought it to be easier to do it yourself? Just because you have an attorney on stand by doesn't mean that you have to pay them to do so. I suggest get an attorney because what you think is the least expensive way can cost you more money in the long run, or you can just cross your fingers and ride on your luck. Attorney's are there so the business owner can do what they do best, and that's focus on their business.

Kudos to you sole proprietor. All of that liability that you have must give you much comfort at night. My recommendation for an LLC which means limited liability, is just that. With sole proprietors if your business goes south so can your personal finances, but with an LLC your personal finances can be protected. If your business fails you don't have to worry about them taking your car, your home, or your pets(I'm just kidding). Us newbies love this business entity.
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2008, 10:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    What other skills and training do you have, please?

Thanks!
    I'm still looking for an answer to the above question, please?

Thanks!

Best to proceed on a post such as this on a personal level addressing the individual needs of the person asking the original question...

Sep 14, 2008, 10:56 PM
    Sorry, they changed the link on the Florida website since I left. It is now MyFlorida.com - Home, and I perused the page and it doesn't look like you need a license to operate, but like I stated prior you can consult with an attorney to double check.

Good luck
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2008, 11:55 PM
    Hello, sueran1102!

I was just thinking that what is happening on the following thread may be of interest to you!

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/small-...es-253634.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Business name [ 1 Answers ]

I need a name for my internet business , something with maybe money in the title!

Business license [ 12 Answers ]

Do you need a business licence to start your own cleaning business? Do you also need to be insured if your employees steal from your clients?

Business license [ 2 Answers ]

Do I need a business license to perform small house hold repairs, in orange park Florida

I want my own business [ 3 Answers ]

I've had the dream for ages and its on paper, I've done all the planning. All the finiane is in place. I need to know what I need to do next. Where do I registor my business, what do I need to do. Phone tax office, national ins. Can you please tell me. I'm not sure on the next stp forward before I...

UK drivers license to US license (but with conviction) [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the UK and I recently crashed my dad's car (without a license nor insurance). I am going to get my full license soon, but the motoring department in the UK have said that I WILL have a conviction on it (obvisouly, for crashing, driving without license/insurance, seatbelts, etc). I am...

View more questions Search