Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pattijo55 Posts: 104, Reputation: 5

Sep 14, 2008, 08:15 PM
    Swavastika not swastika tiles in fireplace hearth
    Hello! We are renovating a 1928 bungalow home. On the hearth of the fireplace are tiles. One is a iron cross. The other is the opposite of the German swastika. The arms of the symbol go in the opposite direction. I read up on it but the article contradicted itself I think. It said the symbol is called a swavastika. There are 3 other designs in the other tiles. Are there any significance to these symbols in a house. I am thinking they are for good luck but would like to hear what you think. Thanks a lot... p
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Sep 15, 2008, 07:38 AM
    I think you mean Sauwastika instead of Swavasticka (which I've never heard before!).

Both the Sauwastika and Swastika have been used for a long, long, LONG time though!

As you can see from these extensive articles both symbols have many uses, but if I were you I'd like to think of mine representing this, from the Sauwastika article;

"the Svastika was originally a symbol of the sun, ... and, therefore, a natural symbol of light, life, health, and wealth."
    I'd love to see some pictures if at all possible, it sounds fascinating!

Sep 15, 2008, 08:09 AM
    (idea) by Storm_Damage (4.7 y) (print) (I like it!) Thu Dec 07 2000 at 2:27:26

The word swastika comes from the Sanskrit svastika, meaning welfare (su = "well" + asti = "he is").

The swastika itself has been a symbol of good fortune since ancient times. Elegant in its simplicity and beautiful in its asymmetry, the swastika was widely used throughout the ancient world (appearing for instance on Mesopotamian coins). It was a solar symbol. The Nazis adopted it as their hakenkreutz. Its arms spin in a clockwise direction.

The swavastika spins in a counterclockwise direction. This was a night symbol, and often stood for magical practices. It was used as a symbol for Buddhism in Japan since ancient times.

That is a paragraph that I cut and pasted for you from the website named "[email protected]" I've found a few different sites about the swavastika, with other descriptions, but this explanation makes me a bit nervous. If you find out anymore information get back to me. Thanks for your quick return. P

Sep 15, 2008, 12:14 PM
    I have a picture of the swavastika. How can I send it to you? P
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Sep 15, 2008, 12:21 PM
    You can upload it straight to here and show everyone! I'm sure they'd all like to see it!

If you click "Go Advanced" at the bottom of the page, then click on paperclip icon on the top row of icons (third from the right)... you can upload it there straight from your computer! :D

Sep 16, 2008, 07:59 AM
    The programs says that my picture exceeds the # of bytes that will be allowed. P

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brick Fireplace hearth - can I put polyurethane on it? [ 2 Answers ]

The brick on my fireplace hearth seems very dull compared to the shiny refinished wood trim in the den. I would like to put polyurthene on the hearth to give it some sheen. Is it safe to do that?

Replacing fireplace tiles [ 2 Answers ]

I bought new tiles to replace the old tiles in front of my fireplace, which is on floor level. The new tiles are thicker than the old tiles, so that the wood floor is not as high as the tiles, making it impossible to grout along the edge with the wood floor. Should I break up the concrete slab that...

Construct a hearth pad [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks to "smearcase" for your answer. I don't believe I explained enough. The hearthpad I'm building, with tile on plywood, will sit under a pellet stove on carpet. Because pellet stoves radiate nearly all heat through the top front, is it necessary to use cement board between the plywood and ...

View more questions Search