Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Arghtastic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2008, 04:19 PM
    Slow Drains on some drains; others are fine
    I have a Ranch on a basement built circa 1960. The house was completely gutted (new kitchen cabinets and appliances and all new bathrooms.. . hardwood refinished upstairs and re-sealed and the downstairs basement was re-finished as well) and remodeled inside before we bought it. After living in the house a while we noticed the downstairs sink takes about twice as long to drain as other drains in the house. So I took the trap apart and the stopper out thinking I would find a clog. It was totally clear. At this point I am stumped. The upstairs tub drains slow as well--but not as slow as the downstairs sink. All the other drains in the house and the toilets seem fine.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance!
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Sep 14, 2008, 06:10 PM
    An answer I read here reminded me of an incident in my life... for your case, try running a garden hose to the slow drains... insert the end into the drain, pack rags or something around it, hold the packing with your hand... and run the water through the hose.

When I was 22 in Vietnam, I did the same thing to clear a floor drain in a mess hall... only I used a CO2 fire extinguisher. The floor was under about 2 inches of water, and the mess sargent was standing by an adjacent floor drain. When I cut loose, water sprayed out of the adjacent drain and drenched him completely... he was not a happy man...

Be careful... Good luck...
    Arghtastic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2008, 07:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rsain2004
    An answer I read here reminded me of an incident in my life...for your case, try running a garden hose to the slow drains...insert the end into the drain, pack rags or something around it, hold the packing with your hand...and run the water through the hose.

When I was 22 in Vietnam, I did the same thing to clear a floor drain in a mess hall...only I used a CO2 fire extinguisher. The floor was under about 2 inches of water, and the mess sargent was standing by an adjacent floor drain. When I cut loose, water sprayed out of the adjacent drain and drenched him completely...he was not a happy man...

Be careful...Good luck...

So you're thinking I've got a clog in the mainline somewhere?
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Sep 14, 2008, 09:02 PM
    Piping sags, sinks in the ground and forms "low spots" that reduce flow. "Grey water" forms "build-up" inside pipes, and does other things... In an older system, things may not be the same as when new... Use a torpedo level to check slope, gently probe with a snake or water... check the system as best you can, before spending money... chances are it's something simple and related to the structures' age. Find all the system vents and be sure they are clear. Don't do an aggressive thing like I did, it only makes things worse.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 15, 2008, 06:30 AM
    I took the trap apart and the stopper out thinking I would find a clog. It was totally clear. At this point I am stumped. The upstairs tub drains slow as well--but not as slow as the downstairs sink.
    You had the right idea, you just didn't take it far enough. You'll find most sinks clog up in the horizontal drain inside the wall with grease and food particals. Take the trap apart again and send a snake up into the wall,(see image) you will hit a bend about 8 inches in but once around that you only have 5 more feet of cable to put out. After, flush with a tub of hot water.
    The upstairs tub drains slow as well--
    Now on to your tub.
    Most tub clogs are rotting hair matted with grease from the soap. Take your snake and Unscrew and remove the overflow plate,(The one with the drain lever) and pull out the tub stopper.(see image) You now have a clear shot at the trap. Now feed the cable( 1/4" best or 3/3" with a small tip. You can rent a Ridgid K50 sink cable if you wish.) About 2' down you will run into the bend of the trap. Crank and push at the same time to work around it. Your blockage will be found in the lateral pipe going to the stack. You shouldn't have to put out more then 10 or 12 feet. I have found tub and shower clogs to be mostly hair and the worm should auger into it and pull it back. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply. TOM
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 15, 2008, 06:54 AM
    Just like Tom said: it is a localized clog. Clean each drain separately with snake as per Tom's instructions and you should be fine.

Drains should be cleaned periodically. It pays off to call Roto-Rooter service once every other year as a preventive measure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old Shower drains slow [ 7 Answers ]

Helllo, my name is Holly. I am almost at the end of my contingency period to find everything I can find on a bank owned property I am buying in California. I hired a home inspector that found hardly anything wrong with the property and then a pest inpector that found several things. The major...

Slow drains [ 2 Answers ]

Pretty much every drain in my house is running slow or backs-up. Is there a central problem with the drainage or should I tackle each situation idependantly?

Slow drains [ 1 Answers ]

You've heard this one before - drains are slow, but I've got a twist. All the drains are slow: tub, sink, toilet... I can plung and they are fine for a week or so then slow again. I don't think it's roots, plunging shouldn't make a difference if that's the case. I used chemicals, same results. I've...

Slow drains [ 1 Answers ]

Being from TX with the recent heavy rains I have noticed our drains are now running slower that usual, we are on a septic system. Is this indicative of more serious problems or related to the recent high ground saturation?

Drains smell from all drains in house - specifically kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me before I call in the professionals, as I like to try and deal with things myself. I've just moved into a new house and it has some bad drain smells. Primarily, but not exclusively these are emanating from the kitchen. They don't smell...

View more questions Search