Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Sep 14, 2008, 03:58 PM
    What's going on?
    So I turned 16 in August, and unlike most kids my age I put off getting my license, for one reason Fear. I was to scared to drive a car even though I've been driving skidoos and 4-wheelers for a few years now, and drive my 4-wheeler every day. I dreaded getting my license and I had never even sat behind the wheel of a car... Until this morning. This morning I decided it was time to face my fear and get in the drivers side... I loved it! Before my parents couldn't get me into the drivers seat, now they can't get me out.

Now here's my problem when I go out to drive the car in our back field. My dog is inside running from window to door(wherever he can go so we stay in sight) meanwhile whining and moaning. Now here's why I find this behavior really weird 1) Rex has never had separation anxiety, when we leave he goes and lays down, he doesn't cry, bark run around or anything like that. 2) Because there are quite a few vehicle that enter our yard in the run of a day, rex was taught to stay on the step until the vehicle is shut off. So even when people leave the driveway he waits on the step, or if people come up the driveway he waits until there car is shut off then he goes to ''Investigate''. Because of being taught this he never really was attracted to vehicles.

FYI: I leave him inside when I am driving, I'm not good enough yet, to drive with possible ditractions.

Why is it that he acts this way only when I am driving?:confused:
    CESElizabeth Posts: 81, Reputation: 7

Sep 14, 2008, 11:57 PM
    I don't know if this helps but I had my aussie for 16 years. I became a truck driver and took him with me. I would leave him in the truck when I went inside truck stops. When I came back he would be jumping from side to side seat to seat. It was the only time he did this, it is because he is happy he person is coming home. When we were at other places and he could not come out he would do the same following me as I was walking. It was his way of keeping an eye on me.

Your dog knows you are in the vehicle, he is keeping an eye out for you and wishing he was with you to keep you safe. You are his person, the other vehicles are not.

Frankie
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 04:42 AM
    Maybe he's worried about you. And who knows what dogs really think about cars. :) I'm sure rex has been in cars with you a million times, but he's never seen you drive one. Learning to drive a car can be stressful, even when you're enjoying it. There's no doubt that he's picking up on the anxiety you have before you leave the house. You can certainly show him that it's okay that you're in the driver's seat. Leave the car parked, have him near you, sit in the driver's seat, and turn the car on. Play with him like that, and he might feel a little better about it. In any case, I'm sure that he will become calmer as you become more comfortable with driving. Good luck!
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Sep 15, 2008, 08:42 PM
    Exactly what I was thinking, linnealand! If the dog is smart enough to learn to wait for a car to be shut off, he is probably very sensitive to emotions in his Person!
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 16, 2008, 01:33 AM
    Rex's mom, I agree with what Carol and Linny said. It's probably a temporary thing. Bring him to the car with you and get him accustomed to you being the one driving. Praise him while you are in the drivers seat, and then send him off to his spot or take him back into the house and praise him again. He is picking up on your energy. He probably sensed before that you were nervous, and now he is a little confused because you may be excited, but still a little unsure.

Rex is a smart dog, and he knows his momma, so just be confident. You might try taking him out several times in a row, when you have the most confident manner about you, and going through the motions 3 or 4 times before you actually leave, to let him know that he gets praise for remaining calm and submissive.
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Sep 16, 2008, 02:25 AM
    Thanks you guys!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Getting a divore what's mine and what's not? [ 3 Answers ]

Been married for five yrs two kids one is 4yrs and the other is 1 ,got a house 1 week before we got married and I never got my name on put on the deed.but have been helping with the mortgage the whole time,she makes a lot more money than I do and I also caught her in an affair with her ex...

What's going on ? [ 4 Answers ]

Confused. I recently meet this guy and had a connection with him. We basically spent 2 week together 24/7. I have no slept with him and he has not pressured me. He is an awsome guy. I live in a different state and will not be back to see him till December. He said he will wait for me and we will...

What's going on with me? [ 6 Answers ]

I remember being all worried about not having sex because of wanting to wait things out and take my time or something like that. I still haven't had sex. I mean I'm not a virgin obviously I have children but I haven't done anything in forever of that nature in a few years not even fooling around...

What's best [ 2 Answers ]

What would be the best way to start a buissness buying stock or creating a website

What's his and what's mine. [ 13 Answers ]

I have been a stay at home mom for 4 1\2 years, and I just reciently started a new career. I am seriously thinking about leaving my husband. We have three kids, a house, a car, and other debts. I am not spitefull, or mean, and I'm not a babymama drama kind of person. How do you go about what is...

View more questions Search