Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skyrocket Away Posts: 173, Reputation: 6

Sep 14, 2008, 02:31 PM
    Anorexic. Which vitamins should I take?
    Heyy, I'm a 17 year old girl who suffers from anorexia. I want to start taking vitamins but I don't know which ones to take. I am also anemic. So I am supposed to start taking iron vitamins according to my doctor. I was wondering what kind of vitamins I should take to keep my heart and bones healthy, and if it's safe to take these vitamins at the same time.
    Thanks all.
    -Sam

Also, does anyone know if my E.D. can 'cause head aches? 'Cause recently I have been getting some killer migraines everyday. I had a cat scan on my head and everything was fine, so does anyone know if this can cause my migraines?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 14, 2008, 03:23 PM
    That's okay. Vites are good. You can take extra iron supplement but that is in a multi vitamin as well. If you are suffering from anorexia, I can see why he wants you to take the extra iron, but how is he treating your anorexia or what are you doing about it ?
    DrLang Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Sep 14, 2008, 05:35 PM
    I would suggest seeing a nutritionist about this. They will not be able to treat your disorder, but they will be in a better position to tell you what you should be taking in your condition to help you return to a healthy condition.

Sep 14, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    Thats okay. Vites are good. You can take extra iron supplement but that is in a multi vitamin as well. If you are suffering from anorexia, I can see why he wants you to take the extra iron, but how is he treating your anorexia or what are you doing about it ?
    My doctor doesn't know that I'm anorexic. No body really does. He just assumes I'm a low calorie diet, because that's what I tell him.

Sep 14, 2008, 07:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLang
    I would suggest seeing a nutritionist about this. They will not be able to treat your disorder, but they will be in a better position to tell you what you should be taking in your condition to help you return to a healthy condition.
    Thanks a lot, I think I'll actually try that.
    Expert

Sep 15, 2008, 02:23 AM
    Anorexia will kill you eventually, Skyrocket. You are destroying your life by not telling your doctor that you have an eating disorder. I thought this was the case (that he did not know). Vitamins will do you no good at all if you are not eating properly. In fact they may just irritate your stomach.
    Expert

Sep 15, 2008, 02:34 AM
    This is just a critique from Wikipedia what your eating disorder will do to you PHYSICALLY over the long run. The migraines you mention may be a part of what is already happening:

Anorexia nervosa can put a serious strain on many of the body's organs and physiological resources, particularly on the structure and function of the heart and cardiovascular system, with slow heart rate (bradycardia) and elongation of the QT interval seen early on. People with anorexia typically have a disturbed electrolyte balance, particularly low levels of phosphate, which has been linked to heart failure, muscle weakness, immune dysfunction, and ultimately death. Those who develop anorexia before adulthood may suffer stunted growth and subsequent low levels of essential hormones (including sex hormones) and chronically increased cortisol levels. Osteoporosis can also develop as a result of anorexia in 38-50% of cases as poor nutrition leads to the retarded growth of essential bone structure and low bone mineral density.

Changes in brain structure and function are early signs of the condition. Enlargement of the ventricles of the brain is thought to be associated with starvation, and is partially reversed when normal weight is regained. Anorexia is also linked to reduced blood flow in the temporal lobes, although since this finding does not correlate with current weight, it is possible that it is a risk trait rather than an effect of starvation
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 15, 2008, 06:29 AM
    I agree with Tickle. Anorexia WILL kill you if left untreated. There are no vitamins in the world that will stop this, only behavior modification.

Sweetie, check this link out... Anorexia Nervosa

Also, please read this...

Anorexia nervosa takes an enormous toll on the body. But that's not all. It has the highest death rate of any mental illness. Between 5% and 20% of people who develop the disease eventually die from it. The longer you have it, the more likely you will die from it. Even for those who survive, the disorder can damage almost every body system.
    You can find out more about it here Anorexia: The Body Neglected

This is a better resource than Wiki...
    DrLang Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Sep 15, 2008, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyrocket Away
    Thanks a lot, I think I'll actually try that.
    I had assumed that your doctor already knew about your eating disorder. Please tell your doctor, even if you can't bring yourself to tell your parents. Seeing a nutritionist will do you no good unless you are prepared to try and tackle your anorexia. They are going to tell you that you need to eat a healthy diet first and foremost. Without that, supplements will be worthless.

If you are trying to replace food with supplements, know that your body needs calories for it to make use of vitamins and minerals. Without the calories that your body needs, it will simply discard the supplements you are taking in exchange for more essential functions like feeding your muscles and organs. Anorexia is a two fold problem. You need to address both the psychological and the nutritional problems associated with it if you are to have any real recovery.
    hippieklaar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2011, 11:24 PM
    Flaxseed, Omega Fish Oil, Multi Vitamins, Iron tablets, Vitamin D I heard was good for preventing binges. I also take 5-HTP to suppress appetite a bit & put me in a better mood.
    livelaughlove12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2012, 06:05 PM
    Iron is extremely important

Also take a multivitamin

Any vitamins that are in food, you need to take.

Here are vitamins that people with ED are extremely deficient in and need
    vitamin B
    vitamin B 12
    Vitamin A
    Vitamin C
    Vitamin D
    Vitamin K
    Folic Acid

And headaches are extremely common. I have them on a regular basis and medication doesn't seem to work. Make sure to drink a ton of water. People with ED tend to be dehydrated and it is part of the reason for the headaches. You absolutely have to take ALL of these vitamins OK? If you don't, you will experience a lot more problems than just headaches. You will get very drowsy, lethargic, hair will thin and/or fall out, your teeth can fall out, your nails can become brittle, your bones can break easily and you can develop osteoporosis. You can also get extremely sick just from getting a cold because your immune system will suck. So make sure to take in a lot of calcium.
    I know people with anorexia who have had all of these problems. And one of these girls was 19 and had a heart attack in the middle of a grocery store. Please take these vitamins, and when you are finally ready, seek help. <3

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What vitamins do I need? [ 10 Answers ]

Can someone give me a list of all the vitamins I should have in a day? Those vitamin packs with 20% of one and 2000% of another makes me nervous. I know there are like one a day pills and stuff, but I'm more interested in kind of making my own mix of everything I need. One a day pills don't give...

Vitamins [ 2 Answers ]

Is it OK to intake more than 5microgram vitamin D3 per day while you trying to conceive and during pregnancy. Because in prenatal, vitamin D3 is 5microgram so does in calcium pills. Please tell me!

Where can I buy this vitamins? [ 2 Answers ]

Does anybody know where can I buy prenatal vitamins??

Vitamins and Trying to conceive! [ 4 Answers ]

We have been trying everything for the past 9 months! I don’t think that it helps that I am borderline underweight. This stinks! I have been trying to eat healthy but gain like 5 lbs. I have been taking Vitamin B. Does anyone know if that is a wrong kind or should I take something else? I am...

Too much vitamins? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have bought a few vitamins, I did not buy the multi because it was not multi for me, so any way the vitamins are(zinc, calcium, A&d, kelp, shark and B complex with C, E and iron) is that crazy? How should I take them? And if this is crazy which ones can I take first till the bottle is...

View more questions Search