Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelfriend2010 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2010, 10:51 AM
    Oh my goodness! What a nightmare! I have just developed the weirdest symptoms to water this past week following an allergic reaction to Tagamet which follows a week after a CT Scan with Iodine. I don't know if these reactions are now related to this crazy reaction of drinking water. However, I put them out there in case somebody knows of a correlation.
    At this time, I can't drink water without it burning and itching my throat, as well as causing difficulty breathing and coughing. My throat squeezes in with water. This is so incredibly scary! My search to find the cause has lead me to this site reading about individuals with the same symptoms. Can anyone tell me about this? Please. I'm a single mom with two little girls who need a mommy and I need to figure this out. I can feel the seriousness of these symptoms.
    I have my Masters in Education and I'm a health writer. Oddly enough, this has happened to me which means it can happen to anyone. Maybe this happened for a reason. Maybe we can help each other. Thank you for reading and thank you so much for your input. Any thoughts are appreciated!
    LMS1974 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2011, 12:00 PM
    Wow looks like a long time since anyone posted on here but I am curious did anyone find out any information who were having water sensitivities or allergies? I am asking because as crazy as it all sounds I am going through a similar thing. Seems unbelieveable to me but the proof is in the pudding, or in the water in this case.
    needlze Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2012, 11:55 AM
    My problem is backwards from most of the posts so far... im having a negative reaction to tap water where I live,I've noticed also that if you leave a glass of our tap water sitting for a couple days,it'll start to grow a white film on the bottom of the glass... so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it... but when I drink it, I get these tiny red dots all over certain parts of my body, like 1 or 2 patches of them about 4 or 5 inches around... but they don't itch or hurt in the least bit,I didn't even know I had them till I seen them... and the worst part of the reaction is I start to feel lethargic and I get these funky sweats and weird hot/cold sweat feelings... I stopped drinking it for weeks and noticed I had no more symptoms, so to test if it was the tap water ,I drank a glass of it and sure enough, I started feeling crappy again and got more dots... oh, and dry skin,really dry skin patches... but that was all I drank was the one glass ,and after two days I was back to normal again... no one else in my apartment building have this problem either,so its got to be some kind of allergic reaction I'm having right?. please can anyone give me a clue what to do?. thanks in advance :)
    needlze Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2012, 12:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by needlze View Post
    my problem is backwards from most of the posts so far.....im having a negative reaction to tap water where i live,ive noticed also that if you leave a glass of our tap water sitting for a couple days,itll start to grow a white film on the bottom of the glass.... so im wondering if that has something to do with it....but when i drink it, i get these tiny red dots all over certain parts of my body, like 1 or 2 patches of them about 4 or 5 inches around....but they dont itch or hurt in the least bit,i didnt even know i had them till i seen them....and the worst part of the reaction is i start to feel lethargic and i get these funky sweats and wierd hot/cold sweat feelings.....i stopped drinking it for weeks and noticed i had no more symptoms, so to test if it was the tap water ,i drank a glass of it and sure enough, i started feeling crappy agian and got more dots....oh, and dry skin,really dry skin patches...but that was all i drank was the one glass ,and after two days i was back to normal again....no one else in my appartment building have this problem either,so its gotta be some kind of allergic reaction im having right?....please can anyone give me a clue what to do? ,...thanks in advance :)
    Oh, and I meant that my problem was backwards from most of the other posts because they had problems with bottled water but none with tap water, but I have it the other way around,were I have to drink it bottled...
    karoake Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2012, 07:11 PM
    I am getting hives on my head and face and have hives all over my body all the time. I thought I was allergic to Dr. Pepper but it keeps happening and so I want to see if the Aquafina will change that. I keep telling my husband it didn't start until I moved into this apartment. I have been drinking the cheapest water and got off Dr. Pepper I have a twin and she gets the same reaction. I don't know what this is. But will try different water.
    Koolbeans Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2012, 05:08 PM
    Hi, I have nausea after drinking any water, I also have had problems in the past with acid problems and a hiatal hernia and ulcer, seems like the acid in the stomach and water are connected somehow!
    ArmelleSC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2013, 12:30 PM
    I hope you receive an email notification from this response. I know you wrote this in 2008, but I have been having these same symptoms recently. To distilled water no less! (as well as tap, spring, and other bottled waters)

-tingling lips, tongue, and mouth
    - swollen throat (can still breathe at least)
    - bright red patches on my face
    - itchy skin

This severe of a reaction is very new to me. It started only about a week ago. I've had the tingling sensation from drinking water for years now.

There is very little information online about reactions to ingesting water rather than having some topical inflammation after a shower. It doesn't help that most forum responders disparage the idea of an allergic reaction to drinking water.

Oh, I get the runs from drinking water. We switched from spring to distilled because I thought chlorine was the culprit. My stomach has ceased reacting to the water (yay), but these other symptoms are getting severe.
    dyoung1006 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2013, 11:21 AM
    Friend I've broken out yesterday after drinking from the bobble water filter. At least I believe.

Tingling lips, hands, itching, SWOLLEN eyes! Look like I had a really bad fight.

Email: [email protected]
    biggerpicture Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2013, 07:28 AM
    I’ve come about a “water allergy” backward from others, and I may bring a different perspective that may be helpful…I hope. I began having nerve inflammation very badly which seemed to go along with a B-12 deficiency. Then I started to become “allergic” to everything I put in my body. It was like from that day forward, everything I ate would be OK once, then I was allergic to it after that. Eventually that meant water.
    Before this, eating a normal meal produced shooting nerves and numbness in my body so bad I was afraid the attacks would turn into something fatal, so I had trouble eating and drinking enough to sustain myself and avoid the attacks and ended up in the ER a few times, and had hospital stays 2 times (2 days, then later for 3 days). They couldn’t find anything with all the tests they did. But back to the water…I could drink other beverages (especially coconut water), but regular water of any type (bottled, tap, reverse osmosis from the store) was acting like a food allergy, which caused my throat to constrict, tongue and lip numbness, and numbness attacks across my whole body that lasted for an hour or more (very scary). I speak of this in the past tense, but it goes on still if I drink any water, even if ice chip melting goes down my throat.
    I’ve been diagnosed with leaky gut syndrome (yes, it exists, no matter what your doctor says). This has also caused vitamin deficiencies, which have caused the nerve inflammation issues. It also caused the allergic reactions to foods and water. Larger particles pass through the intestinal walls than should, so the body thinks they’re a toxin and creates an allergic reaction (see also Intestinal Permeability). So it may not just be an allergy. It may be a bigger problem. There are tests to check for leaky gut syndrome, one is a urine test in which you have to drink a lot of water, which was off-limits to me. The other is a blood test. Most of Western medicine in America does not acknowledge this as a plausible syndrome, but my symptoms fit perfectly when they fit nothing else (I haven’t named all the symptoms because there are a lot). Plus, leaky gut syndrome could be a symptom of an auto-immune disease that you don’t yet realize you have—one you could reverse. It may not be, but instead of thinking you have an allergy to water, you might find that it’s the beginning of something you could fix before it gets as bad as I have it. I am being treated and am taking DGL and Ultraclear Sustain (which my acupuncturist had to order for me). I am also on a strict diet that follows the leaky gut protocol, and I can only eat/drink small amounts at a time. In a couple weeks I’ve already seen a difference, with the allergic behavior starting to calm down. But I have to think water will be off-limits for a long time, based on how badly it makes me feel. Don’t be overwhelmed by all the leaky gut symptoms…all mine fit the syndrome, but I didn’t have most of the ones listed, including the obvious digestive issues. It doesn’t mean you don’t have it…or something else that’s not just an “allergy.”

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tap water allergy [ 5 Answers ]

I live in the country and normally drink rainwater. When I visit some cities including Adelaide and Canberra, Stanthorpe in Queensland and Mansfield in Victoria, within an hour or so of drinking town supply water I become ill. Symptoms are feeling nauseous, increased heart rate and lethargy. I...

Combatting A Dust Mite Allergy [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, Ever since giving up smoking a year ago, my girlfriend's asthma has flarred up a bit. Normally she is fine but occasionally she will wake up several times in the night, coughing and weezing. She went for an allergy check and it turns out she is allergic to dust mites. Trouble is we...

Allergy like spots seen years after fraction [ 1 Answers ]

My uncle fractured his tibia or fibula approximately 5 years ago.Now, he has something like allergies in just fractured region.If ıt was allergy to something, wouldn't it present in his other leg or anywhere in his body. What could it be?

View more questions Search