Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thommyschnak Posts: 80, Reputation: 7

Sep 13, 2008, 10:15 PM
    Can bleach evaporate?
    I was cleaning off a shelf in the basement and I noticed that the area under my bleach 1 gallon container was all crystalized. It had been there about a year, and when used last it was approximately 1/2 full.
    When I lifted it up today the cap was on tight, it was completely empty, and the container had sucked in on itself. The container was all crystallized around the lid, and dried crystals were all over the sides of the container.
    On the shelf below this I had a Le Crueset porcelain stock pot with the lid on it and it had caught most of the dripping from the above bleach container. This pot had also become all crystallized on the outside, and when I lifted the lid I found that where the stainless steel rim of the pot lid had been in contact with the top of the pot it had became badly corroded.
    The screw for the pot handle had also become badly rusted and in the bottom of the pot I found what appeared to be about 1 cup of highly concentrated bleach.
    This whole shelf had been standing approximately 2' from our basement dehumidifier.
    Is it possible that the dehumidifier caused the bleach to be siphoned out of the plastic bleach bottle? and, are there any other cleaning products that this may happen with?
    derobert Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Sep 13, 2008, 10:58 PM
    It's not the dehumidifier. It may lower humidity to 30% or so if you're really overdoing it, but quite a few places the indoor humidity is lower than that naturally in the winter.

This wouldn't happen to be one the brands recalled last year, would it?
    thommyschnak Posts: 80, Reputation: 7

Sep 16, 2008, 11:21 AM
    I do not understand your answer can you please answer my question?
    I checked and my dehumidifier was not on the recall list.
    What does the humidity level have to do with what I had described happened to my bleach container?
    derobert Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Sep 16, 2008, 06:04 PM
    I'm sorry I wasn't clearer... My answer to your bolded question is "no", and the rest of that first paragraph is why I believe that answer to be correct: it is naturally drier in many places than your dehumidifier could ever accomplish, and bleach stays in the bottle just fine in those places. Therefor it is unlikely to be the dehumidifier.

The part about the recall list (I should have been clearer here) was about your bleach. Is your bleach on the recall list? (There were some brands recalled not too long ago, I think sometime in 2007. The were recalled because they could explode, and if yours is one of them, that'd explain what happened.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My roots won't bleach! [ 2 Answers ]

I have very light bleached hair from dark brown, I got it that light from going to the salon a couple times and paying around $70-$90 per visit. Now I'm really broke and can't afford salon visits anymore, but I still want to keep my hair this light. I've tried a couple of the lightest blondes from...

Should I bleach my hair or Do a full heavy all over bleach highlights? [ 2 Answers ]

Info on myself. Blue eyes, fair skin, pink undertones, natural hair color is dark blond. Last month I had my hair dyed a dark blonde. BTW, this was done professionally. The top area came out with dark blonde, gold/ red tones, and does not match my skin tone. I would like to be more in the neutral...

Bleach and pregnancy [ 3 Answers ]

Will I strong bleach smell hurt you when you are pregnant I spilt bleach and the smell is really bad I have the doors open but it still stinks

Bleach blonde! [ 1 Answers ]

OK. My natural hair color was dull dirty blonde with a goldish tent.my mom had this bright idea to give me highlights for summer. She said it would just be a "sunkissed" look. And it turned out a pretty color really blonde, but it looked SOO BAD on me(because I'm very pale). EVERYONE at school...

View more questions Search