Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Flintstones1962 Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

May 12, 2006, 12:16 PM
    Can anyone help on Cisco IOS 12.1 ?
    Hello,
    By accident while I was configuring my Cisco router I've deleted the OS, just doing a simple save like : copy run start, and I didn't look at the message, and I pressed Enter, and he deleted the IOS, does any one have a copy from the Cisco IOS 12.1 or higher ?

I've a Cisco 800 series.

Greetings
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

May 13, 2006, 05:39 AM
    This doesn't quite make sense to me. When you do a "copy run start" you don't delete the OS. All that does is take the running-configuration and stores it to startup configuration. i.e. you're saving your changes. The IOS is still there. Send the output "show tech-support" and I'll do my best to help you. The output is very long so you might want to zip it up and upload it instead. Also the output will hide any passwords by default but earlier versions didn't so just check before you post.

Casey
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 13, 2006, 10:31 AM
    Is this the same router that you where talking about here ?

If so have you considered just sending it back to the ISP and claiming it was DOA?

May 13, 2006, 10:31 AM
    Thanks

The IOS has gone, because my config-register was 0x2102 and the system boots and always go to the rom.

He has erase all the flash memory...

If you have a copy I'll appreciate it.

Greetings

May 13, 2006, 10:43 AM
    You can still recover. What's the exact model number of the router? How much RAM do you have and how much Flash memory is installed in it?

I'll do my best to help you.

Casey

May 13, 2006, 10:51 AM
    It's the 800 series, I didn't check how much ram... etc

I'll check on Monday and reply.

Just to tell how did he delete the falsh, I think I gave a copy run start like copy run start, and I thought it's OK as I'm typing fast and pressing Enter also fast as usual, and I thought that he is confirming the overwriting of the start-config as usual, but he continued and I've received after that a message saying that he has erased the flash.

And now he boots always to rom1>

Thanks for your fast response...

Greetings

May 13, 2006, 10:54 AM
    The exact model/RAM/Flash is important as Cisco customizes their IOS images for each model. If you have an old "show ver" hanging around or "show tech-support" then that information would be sufficient as it contains all that information.

Casey

May 13, 2006, 01:15 PM
    Also while you're at it, you need to setup a tftp server somewhere that the router can reach. When it is time to install/download a copy of the IOS you'll need tftp access to do it. So if you can setup a TFTP server on your windows 2003 server and test it before you do the IOS fix that'd be great.

May 14, 2006, 12:05 PM
    I did that already, TFTP is up and running...

Thanks again for your response...

Greetings

May 15, 2006, 01:37 AM
    Hello again,

The router is Cisco 800 series, 827 Soho 77, Main mem is 16MB and Nvram 128 MB.
    One ethernet interface and one ADSL (ISDN) interface.

Greetings

May 15, 2006, 09:35 AM
    Ok, Now that you should have a good working image on a TFTP server you'll need to do the following at the rommon which would look like this:

rommon 1> IP_ADDRESS=192.168.1.100
    rommon 2> IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0
    rommon 3> DEFAULT_GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
    rommon 4> TFTP_SERVER=192.168.1.10
    rommon 5> TFTP_FILE=soho70-y1-mz.123-18.bin
    rommon 6> TFTP_VERBOSE=2
    rommon 7> tftpdnld

Things to make sure of before you issue the tftpdnld command:

1) IP_ADDRESS is the router's Ethernet0 IP address
    2) IP_SUBNET_MASK is the router's subnet mask on Ethernet0
    3) DEFAULT_GATEWAY is not real critical if the server you are trying to tftp from is on the same subnet as the router's Ethernet0 interface
    4) TFTP_SERVER is the server that will house the image in the root of the tftp server.

At this point (when you run the tftpdnld command) you'll be asked to verify that you want to overwrite your flash. Choose yes. Once the download is complete you will need to reboot the router as follows:

rommon 8> reset

Or you can simply poweroff and poweron the router and that will do the same thing. Your config register shouldn't change and it should be the same as it was before which is 0x2102.

Let me know how it works out.

Casey

May 15, 2006, 11:32 AM
    Thanks Thanks Thanks

You're really very helpful...

Thanks again

Greetings

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problem removing Cisco VPN Client 4.6 [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, Can anyone give me assistance with how to completely remove the Cisco VPN Client (version 4.6) when the Windows installer cannot remove it? Please advise. Thank you.

Setting up DSL with router and Cisco IP phone? [ 9 Answers ]

Okay, I need help. I currently have DSL at my house but now my boss is sending home a router and a Cisco IP phone and I am not sure how to hook it up. They tried to explain but I do better with graphs or detailed explanations as to what specific wire goes to what jack. Can anyone help me? Here...

Cisco router and Win2003 [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I've a big problem and I hope that someone can help me, I've the win2003 server, with DHCP,DNS,RIS,RRAS... etc configured and Two NIC cards, one for the Lan and one for the Wan and I've a static IP address from my ISP. The problem is I've an ADSL line for internet configured on...

View more questions Search