Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    superkid778 Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

May 12, 2006, 09:54 AM
    Belt question on MTD tractor
    I need a new blade belt for my MTD tractor. It looks like you have to drop the deck to get it off. Is this correct and what is the right way to do it? Also, when I go to engage the blades now, it engages hard and makes a loud pop. Is this attributed to the belt being worn out or do I have bigger issues with the mower? Thanks!
    Chris
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2006, 08:40 PM
    I'm not certain on that mower... but some, its easier to take the deck off, others you can just slip in and around and have it on in no time... make sure your pulleys don't wobble in place and all. A worn out belt would usually slip more under load, so it might squeel when engaged a good bit.
    lumper20 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2007, 09:24 AM
    What size deck is it and what model? The model will be listed under the seat. My MTD 38" cut is a bear to change a belt. You have to pull the spring by the right rear tire. Takes some muscle to do this. MTD suggests a spring puller. Also the MTD of mine has the belt tension rods under the front pully. They must be removed. I hope you have an owners manual or are much more mechanical then I am. MTD has manuals for download on their site. I have trouble with some of the diagrams. I am not mechanical.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No start ayp lawn tractor [ 3 Answers ]

OK I have a AYP 22hp kohler with a electric pto clutch. The engine won't turn over with the key switch . I can jump the key switch and it will run. It will stay running as long as I leave the clutch/brake pedal engaged. If I release the clutch or try to engage the blades it will die . At first I...

Mtd lawn tractor [ 6 Answers ]

I recently bought a used mtd lawn tractor, 38" deck, 7 speed manual ,12 hp I/c briggs engine. The tractor needs a new transmission belt. Because I don't have an owners manual or parts list, I don't know which belt to order. Does anyone know what belt I need?

Mtd tractor [ 2 Answers ]

After running for a while, when I stop it doesn't want to start back up?

A timing belt question(novice please help) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am going to buy a 93 civic from a big dealer and now the mechanis are doing the safety checking. I asked them to check the timing belt, I wonder if they can find out if timing belt has been changed by last owner. And I checked the history of the car It has been done for lots of vehicle...

View more questions Search