Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    viccheng Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2008, 04:40 AM
    1 Month old puppy in real danger
    Hello, I think that my 1 month old puppy is in real danger. I am in kunming, china right now and bought a puppy on the street, though the vendor told me that it was already 3 months old. From day to day the symptoms of the dog got worse. I already went to 3 veterinarians here but they didn't really check anything on the animal and I don't think that they are able to help him, they didn't even notice that his nose was blocked. I'll list the symptoms now:

*seizures with slime coming out of the mouth (didn't have it for 2 days now)
    *after the seizure he had problems with coordination and moving properly (running against walls, jumping down the bed etc.)
    *almost doesn't eat anything, fed him a paste (nutri-cal) which the vet sold me, but I have to place it onto his tongue with my finger. During the last hours he didn't even take that.
    *sleeps all day, no power to do anything
    *started to vomit yesterday
    *his stool was liquid and greenish, twice there was little blood with it and once something long and white was in there, don't know if it was a worm or not.
    *the vet said that his temperature was below normal
    *he breathes heavily and fast

The vets said that he can't be really helped, that he can only take some medication and then we'll see if he can survive. Yesterday one gave me a bottle of "baby love" for problems with digestion, before that I was giving him some other digestive drugs for little baby's that the first vet told me to give him, just contained bacteria and vitamins.
    They said that the animal was too young to be given a shot, said that he probably won't survive it. Should we consider this option if there is no other way?

We still want to find a way to help him, but I don't know if its normal, but the vets here didn't really check anything except the temperature and didn't run any test, they don't even have the equipment I guess. Can't find any foreign doctor either.
    We're desperately hoping for a quick response!
    Thank You!!

Vic & Cheng
    RWuest Posts: 50, Reputation: 5

Sep 14, 2008, 07:23 PM
    Yikes! I'm so sorry to hear that, what breed of dog is this, and how large? It is definitely possible that it still needs the nutrients it's mother can provide. I would continue to go to the vet and demand help, and the long white thing sounds like worms to me...
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Sep 15, 2008, 08:57 AM
    I had a puppy that had trouble like this and he passed away within the 3 days we had him from the breeder. I would hope that you could come back and let us know what is currently happening with your puppy. You wrote on the 13 and it's been 2 days. I would imagine a puppy going through this much trauma is not going to last for too long. Is the puppy one month or have you had him for one month. Puppies generally shouldn't be away from mother prior to 8 weeks. Please write back and update.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Sep 15, 2008, 08:34 PM
    Seizures in a puppy this young are unusual unless they are from low blood sugar, and the Nutrical should take care of that.
    I am concerned about a liver abnormality (shunt) that can cause seizures about the time a pup starts on solid food. The blood vessels are abnormal and don't carry the blood in a way that the liver can remove metabolic waste. The toxins build up and cause damage to the nervous system.
    Does this pup's head look unusually large and dome-shaped? Hydrocephalus ("water on the brain") is a possibility.
    Did any of the vets deworm the puppy? A bad case of worms can certainly cause problems in a young pup. If it hasn't been done, see if you can find some mild dewormer--pyrantel pamoate if at all possible--This is also used in people, so you might try a human hospital. (I have no idea how the system works over there.) I hate to play doctor halfway around the world, but you are in a real predicament.
    I would not want to vaccinate a puppy in such a compromised state.
    I'm sorry I can't be of more help, and unfortunately, most of the possible problems I can think of do not have a very good outlook. You are doing the best you can with what you have available. Let us know what happens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

17 month old... no real diagnosis [ 1 Answers ]

My grandson, who was breastfed exclusively until 10 months old, has had swollen lymph nodes in his groin and neck since ever since he was just weeks old. He also has severe itching and ezcema on his skin. He was put on Neocate at 10 months and this has helped a little. However he cannot seem to...

4 month old puppy [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 4 month old lab/border collie who won't eat her whole body is cold ex:( cept her head and she is puking up white foamy stuff it looks almost grey what could be wrong with her

3 month old puppy [ 1 Answers ]

I have a puppy who is three months old she will not drink,eat, or poop and she has lost three pounds AT LEAST. We took her to the vet twice already and she has been on three different antibiotics. She is Not running a fever. She has been sick for a month and the last three days have been the worst...

My 4 month old Lab puppy won't eat [ 5 Answers ]

My 4 months old Lab won't eat his dog food. This has been happening over the past 3 weeks and we have taken him to the vet, who doesn't know why he isn't eating. He has an appetite and will eat treats and pretty much anything BUT his puppy chow. We even bought Iams (he was getting purina puppy...

View more questions Search