Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Crazyart14607 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2008, 06:12 PM
    Civil judgement -never served
    I have a civil judgement from 1999. I was never served papers pertaining to it. I was under the impression that civil judgements were only valid for 7 years. My bank received a restraining notice from attorney for the judgment creditor, I was given a copy after I realized my account was frozen. There is no legal seal or anything that appears like a court document. Is this legal ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 12, 2008, 07:27 PM
    You would have been notified of the original judgement, not of a attachment or garnishment.

Depends on your state, some are valid for 7 to start but most states are valid for 10 to start, and are easily renewed for another term.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2008, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyart14607
    I have a civil judgement from 1999. I was never served papers pertaining to it. I was under the impression that civil judgements were only valid for 7 years. My bank received a restraining notice from attorney for the judgment creditor, I was given a copy after I realized my account was frozen. There is no legal seal or anything that appears like a court document. Is this legal ?

It does not need a Court/legal seal. The Judgment must be signed but there is also (probably) no seal on that.

The length of time a Judgment is valid varies from State to State but is renewable so this is probably within the time frame for collection.

You were never served with a Summons in 1999 or a copy of the Judgment following the hearing? How were you notified of the Judgment?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Served with civil and small claims summons but the case does not exsist? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, About a month ago a civil court summons was left in my doorway for a credit card debt that never belonged to me. Then about two weeks ago the same law firm sent another small claims summons for the same debt. I have been checking the court listed on the summons website list of civil and...

Received a 35,000.00 dollars judgement but still no justice served. [ 2 Answers ]

I am a contractor in Virginia and was recently burned by a customer /contractor. This was a job done at a federal facility(Post-Office) in which I was acting as a subcontractor for a contractor I had done many other jobs for in the past. I paid my crew and for equipment and completed the job. In...

Served Papers About a Judgement [ 12 Answers ]

I need advice. Yesterday I was served papers about a debt with a credit card company. It is MY debt. I was young and very dumb about my credit cards. Now they are catching up to me. I am broke. I honestly don't own anything. No savings, I rent, and my car is financed. I as of right now have 19 days...

Judgement Papers Served in Georgia [ 13 Answers ]

I have a few questions. I live in Georgia. I was served with judgement papers for an old debt from 2000 that I just didn't (and still don't) have the money to pay. I have 30 days to respond to the Clerk of Court. I have since re-married. I do not work (my husband does), but I am too ill to...

View more questions Search