Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    100Years2Live Posts: 23, Reputation: 6

May 12, 2006, 06:01 AM
    No more iTunes
    Does anyone have a site of free LEGAL musical downloads.

If anyone does it would be appreciated very much. iTunes is geeting out of hand. Ive spent over 80 dollars there.

Josh
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 12, 2006, 06:04 AM
    I doubt if there is any one place to get free legal music. Remember that any download of copyrighted material without permission is illegal. So sites that have lists of copyrighted songs would probably be illegal.

One place to check would be the artists' web sites. Frequently they will make tracks available to promote albums or concerts.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 12, 2006, 06:36 AM
    Not copyrighted and/or public domain material can be downloaded for free.

Here's a Start if you want to check out what's available:
    Links to Tens of Thousands of Legal Music Downloads
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

May 12, 2006, 07:32 AM
    What ever happened to Kaazaa? Is that still around, or is that shut down now too. Yea, I know if I were an artist, I would be upset by people downloading my music without my knowledge of it, unless I gave permission of course. That is sorda like stealing. But I have been guilty of it, I used to go on Kaazaa when I was younger, but I always just downloaded them to my PC, never copied them onto anything.
    Uber Member

May 12, 2006, 07:36 AM
    Kazaa and others like them are still alive and well. How they are able to legally stay online is beyond me.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 12, 2006, 07:37 AM
    Kazaa is a dead network. Just before it went away it was overun by fake files uploaded by companies contracted by the record companies. I know of other networks that are still operating but I'll keep that to myself.
    Uber Member

May 12, 2006, 07:39 AM
    PS - Walmart has a decent selection for 88 cents per song:
    Wal-Mart - Wal-Mart music, we have more than 80,000 music CDs
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 12, 2006, 07:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgirl
    What ever happened to Kaazaa? Is that still around, or is that shut down now too. Yea, I know if I were an artist, I would be upset by people downloading my music without my knowledge of it, unless I gave permission of course. That is sorda like stealing. But I have been guilty of it, I used to go on Kaazaa when I was younger, but I always just downloaded them to my pc, never copied them onto anything.
    CGirl,
    You and millions like you. There are loads of rationalizations for the piracy that goes on using peer to peer networks. I just downloaded for my own use. I wouldn't have bought the track anyway. The Record companies rip me off so why shouldn't I rip them off? I'll buy it if I decide I like it.

This isn't "sorta like stealing", it IS stealing. You are taking property without permission and that's what stealing is. One can rationalize it all they want, but it doesn't change what it is.
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

May 12, 2006, 07:57 AM
    I don't think I was rationalizing anything, I was just admitting to being guilty of it at one time, when I was a teenager. I do realize that it is stealing, and I would not participate in anything like this now. I guess at the time, I didn't see that it was wrong. I didn't understand, but now I certainly do. Especially because my husband is in a band and I know how he would feel if people were doing this with his music.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ITunes Store [ 2 Answers ]

Last night I decided to take the plunge and buy my first songs from the iTunes music store. Although the process was smooth and there were no problems buying my music... I was extremely dismayed to see that every song I bought was encoded in Apple's protected AAC format at 128kbps! I can't begin...

Anying Using iTunes To Buy Music? [ 4 Answers ]

Coca-cola have a promotion over here that when you buy a bottle of coke, you get a free song from iTunes. Sounds great doesn't it. Trouble is you are only allowed a max of 5 "free" songs. I've just hit that limit :( This means that I have a free song in iTunes going to waste - so does anyone...

Lost iTunes [ 2 Answers ]

I own an iPod nano. About 6 months ago, my computer crashed and so my iTunes was deleted. But the memory is still in tact on the iPod. Is there a way to take the files from the iPod and put them on my hard drive?

Can't run itunes from my PC [ 1 Answers ]

I had installed itunes on this PC (actually it's a server) and it was running fine. Now, it won't run. The icons are still on my desktop but nothing happens when I try to open the program. I tried restarting my computer (you know the service guys always tell you to do that.. ) Let me warn...

View more questions Search