Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorsKenR Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2006, 09:29 PM
    Display only shows large icons.
    I have an IBM ThinkPad 390X laptop with Windows Millennium that will only start up with large icons. (During startup, after the "Windows Me" logo screen appears and disappears, on a blank screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left, it always gives a two part beep ("beBOOP") before the desktop appears.

Before this problem started, I turned off the laptop and disconnected the power adapter overnight. Someone else started it up the following day without reconnecting the adapter. Apparently the battery was low because it beeped once weakly and shut off. Ever since then it will only display large icons at 800x600 resolution. When I go into Display Properties to try to reset it to a higher resolution (1024x780), it always reverts at startup to 800x600.

NOTE: At first, the mouse pointer would not appear. I found out I should look for garbage in "system.ini" which I found and removed. (Before that, I ended up replacing vmouse.vxd with mmouse.vxd). THe mouse and cursor work now, but I can't get the LCD to go back to normal.

Is this a hardware problem, a driver problem, or a Windows problem? Is there a solution for it without taking it to be serviced?
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2006, 01:18 AM
    I think at first I would check it's not a driver problem by download the latest update for your graphics card off the internet. Maybe one of these links will help:

Nvidia Drivers
    ATI Drivers

May 12, 2006, 11:04 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to pursue it generically, as it were. Neither of the suggested sites works because the graphics card is from NeoMagic. They're no longer supporting what they did for laptops - they're all into handhelds now. Other companies are handing support.

The drivers already seem to be present. I tried downloading one (nmgc5.drv) and replacing it but it made absolutely no change. Nothing got worse, either. There were two other driver file names when I displayed the driver properties under System Manager: "nmgc5vdd.vxd" and "vmm32.vxd". They seemed to be displayed under "nmgc5.drv" in a tree structure. (The actual directory of course was "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM".)

Sorry if that's confusing. Guess it comes of being "separated by a common language," as Sir Winston put it. Let me know if you have other ideas. Thanks.:)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 13, 2006, 06:02 AM
    Check to see what Video adapter is selected. I suspect that what may have happened is the startup with a weak battery caused the video adapter to revert to SVGA. Solving this may be as simple as selecting the correct video adapter.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 13, 2006, 09:42 AM
    Try this: Thinkpad 390x drivers

May 14, 2006, 08:51 PM
    Something appears to have worked, finally. But I'm not sure what. But the display is back to normal. Thanks for all help offered. (The last thing I did was to remove duplicate occurrences in Device Manager under Monitors and Display Adapters, and also an odd entry for an Infrared Port that I don't think we have).

It still complains about Rundll causing an error in MMSystem.dll, but after Rundll closes I still seem to have full functionality. It seems to be back to normal - I am conducting some testing. Unless I say something else you can consider this thread closed. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 90s Children's Movies/Shows [ 5 Answers ]

1. Okay, the most I remember this time is this was either a series of movies or a show about puppets who lived in this land that looked like a patchwork quilt or a big blanket. I remember a horse puppet got trapped in some type of mine and a friend of his had to help him (or her?) get out. Also...

2 kids shows [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone remember the shows Zoobalizoo and Square one? If so, do you know where I could find websites with pictures from those shows or clips?

Your Top 10 Comedy Television Shows [ 29 Answers ]

Name some of your top ten fav.comedy television shows. Mine are: 1. Everybody loves Raymond 2. All in the family 3. Malcolm in the middle 4. Gomer Pyle 5. Becker 6. Gilligans island 7. My name is Earl 8. Andy Griffith show

Can't Display Color or icons in Browser! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I do't know if anyone can help but my browsers, both Firefox and Explorer seem to be unable to display background color. I've tried everything, from downloading Java, Macromedia flash player, editing the color options in my internet options and nothing works! Any advice would be greatly...

Display Program Icons [ 5 Answers ]

I have noticed with Windows XP when you go to All Programs & look at the list the icons, most are not displayed for the downloaded programs. Just a regular File folder & then the name beside. Example: Quick Time when I put my mouse over this name I see a list of 4 to the right, then I would...

View more questions Search