Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uthnkurbtr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2008, 09:57 AM
    Can I be a police officer or probation officer with criminal background?
    I am currently going to school to get a degree in Criminal Justice. I was looking into different jobs and wanted to know if I could be a police officer or a probation officer with a theft charge and a disorderly conduct charge? Both charges where between the age of 15-17. Thank you for any help !
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2008, 02:38 PM
    You need to check with whatever police department you are thinking of joining to see if this will hinder you being hired by them. Some departments have pretty strict guidelines on hiring and others are more lax.
    uthnkurbtr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2008, 02:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    You need to check with whatever police department you are thinking of joining to see if this will hinder you being hired by them. Some departments have pretty strict guidelines on hiring and others are more lax.

Im not sure what department I will be looking into. I am a military spouse living overseas and will be moving where ever the army takes us. I will try to do more checking...
    arron602 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Sep 12, 2008, 06:15 PM
    I would be honest to whatever department you apply at. You said that this happened between the ages of 15-17 and as far as I know, all records are sealed when you turn 18 AS LONG as you don't get into any trouble after that.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2008, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arron602
    I would be honest to whatever department you apply at. you said that this happened between the ages of 15-17 and as far as I know, all records are sealed when you turn 18 AS LONG as you don't get into any trouble after that.

If OP applies for a job with certain departments sealed records can be accessed.

Whether what someone did between ages 15-17 matters or not is up to the Department.
    pezhammond Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2012, 06:12 PM
    You will get an enhanced crb check, this goes back to 16 years old. Theft is classed as a dishonest offence and this might go against you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Harassed by a Police Officer or Not? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering what should I do if I am being harassed by a police officer? Well let me tell you my situation. It all started when I bought a chevy pickup that is currently a lowrider. The pickup came with dark tinted windows when bought it, directly from a chevy dealer. One day I was going...

Becoming a police officer [ 3 Answers ]

I want to become a police officer in New York city, but I'm from ireland, what can I do?? Please answer :) :)

Criminal charges that were hyped by a sworn police officer [ 3 Answers ]

I have been cgarged with felony assault/dang.weapon or substance,manufac/poss/deliver sch 11,possession of marijunana-sub offense,resisting legal or illlegal arrest.on 7/13/06 cameras of stop%shop were active and recorded the whole incident,the attorney generals office in providence,ri keeps...

View more questions Search