Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RSD123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2006, 10:19 AM
    Thermostat short
    When replacing my old thermostat with a programmable one, I inadvertently touched the wires together. There was a small blue arc and a burning smell. I didn't turn off the power before installing because of the low voltage - lesson learned. Now there appears to be no power to the thermostat. My other a/c unit is still running and is working overtime to cool my house. Do you think I blew a fuse? If so how do I find out and replace it? Please help, it's supposed to hit 100 degrees out here in AZ today. Thanks.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 11, 2006, 02:36 PM
    There may be a small 24 volt fuse in the main control for the AC. May be close or even located on the 24 volt control transfomer, which supplies the control voltage for the thermostat. Not one unit is the same, so you will need to open the air handler and look for this fuse/transfomer.
    srobin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2011, 09:32 AM
    This exact thing happened to me recently: You can fix this problem yourself.. Turn off the main power, open the door panel to your air handler [mine is in the attic], and replace the 24v fuse that is contained within. It took me about an hour to complete as it was summer in Arizona and my air handler door panel had been taped, plus screws needed to be removed. After removing the old fuse, I inspected it and it was indeed burnt. After installing the new fuse, the thermostat and AC worked brilliantly. I saved myself an electrician callout charge and you can do the same with a .18 cent fuse. This is not a difficult process, just don't give up on it and be patient as you work [at least that's what I tell myself].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is name of this short story [ 2 Answers ]

I read this in college. It's about a family that takes a trip. The car breaks down and 3 men show up and they end up killing the family. I think the grandmother survives. I had to do a research paper on the symbolism on this story. Been trying to find it for a couple months now. Please...

Why are my relationships so short? [ 19 Answers ]

So, I'm 27 and the longest relationship I have ever had is 3 months. I realize the reason I haven't had many girlfriends is because I'm shy initially and also I'm stupidly picky. But recently I have found girls that I really like but it goes a few months and then bam, its over. I can't figure out...

Short! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi pretty, Thanks for the reply even though I asked on skin care!! So,what think you; I'm 1.60m and I weigh 45kg. I live in an area where a little more flesh is considered more appealing, but I fear if I put on more weight I might not be carry it gracefully,since I'm short! My BMI is right for my...

Tall and short? [ 2 Answers ]

Im 15... Im like 5'8-5'9... yet my boyfriends is like 5'6... he's older then me... by like two years... does that look funny to you? I mean, I wouldn't break up with him... just because I'm tall and he is short.. Its just weird. I've never gone out with a guy shorter then me. Does anybody think it...

Short forms [ 1 Answers ]

I'd like to ask you about the meaning of the following internt short forms Www. Com Net http:// Mohammed

View more questions Search