Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NonProfit Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 05:12 PM
    Labor Law - Wages not paid if missed clock-out
    I'm in Kansas. My employer has recently included in our personnel policy that if we miss clocking in or clocking out we will not be paid for that portion of the day. So: if you clock in after lunch, but forget to clock out when you leave... You don't get paid for the whole afternoon.

We received the personnel manual a few months ago and had to sign that we had received and read the manual. Now he has started enforcing this "policy." He will NOT accept any proof that you were in the office: immediate supervisor's signature, emails sent on Outlook, verification from people you spoke with. Nothing is accepted except the time clock with no exceptions.

Is this policy legal? Can he legally not pay for hours worked, especially if you have documentation showing you were there? So far I've only lost $60 to this "policy," but what about the next time I accidentally miss a clock in or clock out?
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Wow! Talk about tough love...

Was he having problems with someone in particular, or with people keeping track of their hours in general? Or is he just a drill sgt?

What he's doing doesn't sound illegal to me. If that's the official method of keeping track of hours worked and it's an official policy, acknowledged by all, I don't know what he'd be violating. It's harsh - no question about that - but probably not illegal.

Someone could always challenge it by suing him...
    NonProfit Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NonProfit
    I'm in Kansas. My employer has recently included in our personnel policy that if we miss clocking in or clocking out we will not be paid for that portion of the day. So: if you clock in after lunch, but forget to clock out when you leave... You don't get paid for the whole afternoon.

We received the personnel manual a few months ago and had to sign that we had received and read the manual. Now he has started enforcing this "policy." He will NOT accept any proof that you were in the office: immediate supervisor's signature, emails sent on Outlook, verification from people you spoke with. Nothing is accepted except the time clock with no exceptions.

Is this policy legal? Can he legally not pay for hours worked, especially if you have documentation showing you were there? So far I've only lost $60 to this "policy," but what about the next time I accidently miss a clock in or clock out?
    He was having problems with primarily one employee. But she continues to do as she wishes, and though she's not getting paid when it occurs, no other ramifications are happening to her. The rest of us just try to follow the rules keep getting new Policies piled on. And now it's to the point we are not being paid for time worked!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salary worker docked for missed time, but not paid overtime [ 5 Answers ]

We just had a corporate company take over the dental office I work for. I was given the position of manager with a salary. They gave me an hourly wage increase to adjust for the overtime and bonus we were losing. I have over 30 hours of overtime not paid in the past 4 weeks. When I took 2 days...

Not paid to clock in early? [ 3 Answers ]

My husband works as a phone tech for a communications company in Texas. He was told that his computer system needs to be running exactly when his shift starts. It takes about 20 minutes to get his system up and running in the programs he is supposed to be using. During that 20 minutes on every...

View more questions Search