Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PatK75 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2006, 12:22 AM
    Water hammer/Air Lock Problem
    Hi there,

When ever I turn on my hot water (basin) for the very first time for the day, there is no banging noise. However, after a few minutes after hot water is flushed out, when I try to turn on the hot water again, there is a loud banging noise. This only happens to my hot water and not the cold water. Could this be because of the hot water generating air bubbles in the pipes and therefore causing air locks? :confused:

I have tried turning off the cold water inlet into the hot water system, and flushing all the hot water on all taps (except dish washer). However, it did not seem to solve the problem.

How can I resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 11, 2006, 06:18 AM
    Hey Pat,

You didn'r say but I'll bet the farm you have a gas hot water heater. Would I win my bet? Tom
    PatK75 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2006, 03:39 PM
    Yes it is a gas hot water system.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 11, 2006, 03:58 PM
    OK Pat, Let's clear up your mystery.

If you do not flush,(not drain) your heater on a regular basis it will build up mineral on the bottom of the tank. When the flame comes on it turns the water trapped under the mineral to steam and the steam escaping is what you hear. Let me show you how to flush your heater. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) and some white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). The whole thing shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. You might want to consider cleaning the screens on your areators if you have a high mineral buildup. If thev problem still persists after you have flushed, you will have to drain the heater, remove the boiler drain and go up in the bottom of the tank with a wood or plastic rod, (not metal) and try to break up the mineral and flush it out. Good luck, Tom
    tudamohan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2011, 02:13 PM
    Take bath at least 20 times in your bathroom... and always flush toilet

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thoughts on installing water hammer arresters [ 7 Answers ]

What is the modern thinking on the necessity of installing water hammer arresters or air cushions in new plumbing for a bathroom and/or kitchen? What is the method for placing them, 1 at each valve or one at the entrance (hot and cold) to cover the whole house? How are they installed as far as how...

Water hammer question [ 4 Answers ]

After I flush the toilet, use the shower, or run the washing machine, there is a loud screaching/moaning noise coming from my prv. I can even feel the vibration in the cold water pipe in my garage. I assume this is water hammer. The guy at Lowe's said I needed an anti-water hammer device so I...

Water Hammer Effect [ 1 Answers ]

Newbiehomeowner New Member Join Date: Oct 2005 Posts: 25 Water Hammer Effect -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a question for you and an update on my backing up toilet problems of a few months ago. When my short cycling well...

Water Hammer [ 1 Answers ]

I have what appears to be water hammer in a 18 yr old home. Water arrestors (the blue oil can) are installed. From what I've read, it seems like the solution is to remove the air from the water lines starting with shutting off the main water valve, then draining the pipes. If this is true, then...

Pipe banging other than water hammer? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, Recently the pipes in our house have started banging. My initial thoughts were loosely hanging pipes or water hammer. I secured the pipes better/tighter with hangers, but the problem continues. Water hammer would be a possible idea, except it only seems to happen from the toilet pipes...

View more questions Search