Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barbiechick123 Posts: 317, Reputation: 25

Sep 10, 2008, 10:18 PM
    My mom is driving me INSANE!
    So, my mom is a complete neurotic, every time I'm enjoying myself she has to barge into my room and tell me to clean it up, then when I say ten minutes or I'll do it in 5 minutes. She will start yelling and telling me to pick things up and start doing it for me, and its been driving me insane, and another thing is that I have to wear socks all the time around the house and when I don't she threatens to ground me! It has been so hard living with her, it is literally making me sick, my stomach hurts right now. I don't know what to do, I am most definitely not going to put eery single thing away I take off and what not, I will try but won't succeed.

Sorry for the long read, but I really need to deal with this, my life is stressful enough, I don't need my mom making it worse.
    chiradeep Posts: 68, Reputation: 3

Sep 10, 2008, 10:30 PM
    Dear friend! I can understand how you feel... Don't worry time is great healer. Please just do it what she wants immediately... Parents always want absolute obedience. My mom is the same. Even if I am already married, she wants and expects the same obedience from us, children. Trust me she loves you and she wants to make you perfect in everything...
    Just do it as she wants... I will be praying for you... May God bless you...
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 10, 2008, 11:54 PM
    I fully expect to get "disagreed with"... but you did come and ask. I don't find, from your short post, that your mother IS making your life worse. Anytime you are being told the same thing over and over again by ANYONE should indicate to you that YOU aren't paying attention.

You most certainly CAN put away your clothes as you take them off. Do you really think it's that much more work to drop dirty clothes into a basket instead of the floor? Really? Seriously? Free room, free food, shelter, clothing... all provided for you free of charge, and you can't keep these gifts off the floor after repeatedly being asked?

Stress IS being added in your home, but your mother isn't doing it.

Based on the lists of things kids post here about problems with their parents, I'm thinking you can do something as simple as keeping your room clean... WITHOUT being told at all. Don't you?

Socks around the house sounds like good hygiene. Don't you think?

I PROMISE you... if you keep your room orderly as a habit, your mother WILL stop bugging you about it. Guaranteed!
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 06:45 AM
    FOLLOWUP: You don't say how old you are, so I'm going to assume 13-15 years old. You may not have discovered how true what I'm about to say is, but you will someday. Think about it now...

Life is about positive manipulation. Your parents, or specifically your mother, is going to be the source of many things you need/want over the next X-years. Permissions, money, freedom, added luxuries (drivers's license, access to the car, new cell phones... ) all of these things come from her/them.

So, I encourage you to think about the long-term benefits of being obedient to her wishes on things like your room. By defying her, you set the tone NOW to make it difficult/impossible to get some things from her in the future. Not only is the trust not there, she's not motivated to say "yes" anyway because you make things so adversarial.

On the other hand, if you bide your time and take care of these things before she even asks, her opinion of you changes, her trust in you rises, and the more you want, the more you can get because you manipulate the situation AHEAD OF TIME in your favor by doing things she wants. Even going out of your way to do things she hasn't even asked yet.

It's work, but mom/dad REALLY need a solid foundation to say "yes" to all the things YOU are going to want in the coming years. Manipulate your environment. Give them every reason to decide in your favor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Freee truck driving training for felon but very clean driving record? [ 22 Answers ]

I would love to drive semi's local or cross country, but I do not have the job training or the finances for driving school. Can someone please help me ? Thank you Oscar

Can't remember the name of this Toy is driving me insane! [ 2 Answers ]

I tried searching everywhere I can think of and ask all my friends they all know what I'm talking about but can not remember the name. Here is the best way I can describe it. Please bare with me... I remember the pieces being dark I could be wrong but I remember black, and dark green. They...

Everything is driving me insane! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I know this doesn’t seem like much but I’m seriously going insane! Well It all started when I got back to the school last year my "friend" chelo said how much of a great friend I was and I was like hehe:) then she started copying me, everything I said she would say after me and then she turned...

Am I insane? [ 145 Answers ]

Entire story merged Hello, I am new to this, but really need advice. I dated a girl for 9 months (distance, 4 hour drive), we were desperately in love, sex was the best ever for both of us, the only problem was I am the smothering type and was always available. She then said she needed space. I...

My husbands ex is driving me insane [ 1 Answers ]

Where do I begin? It is not possible to list everything but, here is a little. My husband and I are going through a hard time with various problems. The main one is his ex-wife. My husband is on probation, his charge was illegal discharge of a firearm. Come to find out, he should have never...

View more questions Search