Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leoksp Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2008, 09:59 PM
    Boyfriend needs US citizenship, but must wait a year to marry.
    Ok, so this is what is happening. I met this guy last December that was here on student Visa from Haiti.. I fell in love with him, and I want to marry him, but religious beliefs make it so I can not marry him for at least another year.. He moved to another state to live with his family while we wait, but his student visa is up now, so it is either we get married (which with the year thing and the fact that he doesn't have a job, and I don't have as good as one as it would take to have a family) or he goes back to Haiti.. Is there anyway around either of these situations? He has been seeing an immigration lawyer for the last 7 months to try and figure things out. I don't at all understand the whole immigration law thing, so I am having a hard time helping out there.. Supposedly he submitted to get his work visa and he should have that next week, but he said he only has until February to get things in order. That is not enough time. HELP!! :confused:
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Sep 10, 2008, 11:41 PM
    1. To switch from student visa to work visa takes at least 6 months plus H-1B application can be submitted once a year only (April). I don't think he could make it because if he overstays his visa, he would be ineligible for any employment based visa.

2. If he has seen immigration lawyer during the past 7 months, he should have an idea on what to do and when to do it.

3. Religious belief he claimed sounds phony to me... he must have other alternative.

Don't rush with this guy.. he might desperately marry you because he wants green card.

Sep 11, 2008, 07:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawanwadee
    1. To switch from student visa to work visa takes at least 6 months plus H-1B application can be submitted once a year only (April). I don't think he could make it because if he overstays his visa, he would be ineligible for any employment based visa.

2. If he has seen immigration lawyer during the past 7 months, he should have an idea on what to do and when to do it.

3. Religious belief he claimed sounds phony to me.... he must have other alternative.

Don't rush with this guy.. he might desperately marry you because he wants greencard.

The religious belief is mine. If it wasn't for that we would be married already..

I have had the "is this only to get your greencard talk" with him so many times. If we had it his way we wouldn't get married until he was able to get it some other way. He doesn't want me going through life thinking that "the greencard" is all he wanted. This is really love.

So if he did submit in April. Could it just we now that he would be able to actually get his actual work permit? Because I think he did submit around then sometime. I haven't actually seen him sense March.
    Immigration Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 11:38 AM
    So you are not really dating... perhaps live in different cities/states?
    If so... better have an immigration attorney to help with this issue as it's likely that USCIS will see this case as a sham marriage.

Sep 11, 2008, 12:57 PM
    So you are not really dating... perhaps live in different cities/states?
    If so.......... better have an immigration attorney to help with this issue as it's likely that USCIS will see this case as a sham marriage.
    OH WOW I never thought of that.. Yes we live in separate states at this time. I can't afford to lose my job and go to him and he can't afford to not live with his family at this time.
    I am still so completely lost as what to do, but thanks for the help..
    Immigration Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 02:45 PM
    You should discuss this matter with immigration attorney before you decide to marry him. You need to know if you meet the eligibility of green card sponsor or not, your income, proof of relationship, etc.

Do not marry him and apply a green card for him if you live in different states/cities. Not only you lose $$ for the fees, but it will tarnish your record as well. Recently in one case, immigration officer asked to see the couple's house keys at the interview, and bingo! They live in different cities.. different houses.. end of story.

Sep 11, 2008, 03:54 PM
    You should discuss this matter with immigration attorney before you decide to marry him. You need to know if you meet the eligibility of greencard sponsor or not, your income, proof of relationship, etc.

Do not marry him and apply a greencard for him if you live in different states/cities. Not only you lose $$ for the fees, but it will tarnish your record as well. Recently in one case, immigration officer asked to see the couple's house keys at the interview, and bingo! They live in different cities.. different houses.. end of story.
    Oh no. When we get married we will be living together, but not until we do get married.

So I hear that once you do get married it takes up to years to finally get a green card. Is this true?
    Immigration Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 03:58 PM
    It depends on a few factors, what state you are in, etc. Normally it takes between 7-9 months.

Sep 14, 2008, 08:03 PM
    But can he still work?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriend said he loves me but he don't want to marry me do I have to cuntinue ? [ 5 Answers ]

We been 2 years now & we enjoyed everything . I'm devoice 23 & he is singly 23 but he had relationship with other girl before we met .what to do so he will marry me ? Or one day he might leave me ? I don't understand what to do ?

How do I get my boyfriend to marry me? [ 30 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together for 7 years. We started dating when I was in the 10th grade. We had to split up for a little while because my parents hated him. But we always seemed to find each other again so the first two years of our relationship was an on again off again relationship....

My boyfriend won't marry me ? [ 22 Answers ]

Please anyone with advice please help... I have been with my boyfriend for 7 years and he won't marry me. I have talked to him about it for years and he sais that we will soon and then changes the subject.. After a few years of saying that he finally started saying that he is not ready because...

Bought a Roth IRA for 08 (single) will marry by end of this year [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm single and bought a Roth IRA the first of this year for 08. By the end of this year I will be married, what are my options concerning this particular Roth purchase?

I'm 17 and my boyfriend wants to marry me [ 20 Answers ]

I'm just 17 and my boyfriend who is 18 has plans on giving me a engagement ring the day of my graduration in '08. I told him I don't want to get married until after college but he said he wans to give it to me to always remember him by and so when I finish college (he's planning to going to college...

View more questions Search