Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    log Posts: 93, Reputation: 2

Sep 10, 2008, 07:11 PM
    Jeep not turning on.
    Hi everyone...
    I have a 94 jeep grand cherokee ltd ,inline 6,4.0liter
    Now the problem is recently it has not been turning on.. I have tapped the starter and by miracle it turned on just that one time... and so I replaced the starter along with the relay (starter fuse)and still not turning on.the battery is still good but can't seem to find the problem.:confused: :confused:
    Any answers or suggestions would be great as I need this thing back on the road asap!!
    Thanks!
    mechanickid Posts: 248, Reputation: 5

Sep 10, 2008, 09:28 PM
    When you say not turning on, what do you mean? Is the dash lighting up? Or is nothing happening when you turn the key? Is your starter not turning over? Please be more specific

Sep 10, 2008, 09:37 PM
    You the starter is not turning over... everything else works like the lights ,dashboard etc.
    Accept the starter won't turn over ,any ideas of why?

Sep 10, 2008, 09:48 PM
    What is the age of the battery?

Sep 10, 2008, 09:52 PM
    Maybe 3yrs old

Sep 10, 2008, 10:05 PM
    Is it a cheap brand? I would recommend getting a battery checkup, usually these are very low cost and comonly free, batteries are commonly one of the most overlooked starting problems. Check the simple things first then work from there... :)

Let me know about the battery and then we can go on from there

Sep 11, 2008, 07:47 AM
    K will hopefully that eill be the problem

Sep 11, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Hey well I tried my friends battery and still no turnover now would there be any other possibilities or the cause of why this is happening

Sep 11, 2008, 05:02 PM
    What was the CCA of his battery? Was it used in the same vehicle?

Ok well since we have ruled out the battery, You have replaced the rellay?

Did you clean your electrical connections at your starter when you replaced it? What was their condition?

For the heck of it, Try Putting your vehicle in Netural and starting it.

If you have a friend handy,, and a multi meter check to see if your getting power at the starter.

If you need these explained let me know

Keep me posted

Sep 11, 2008, 05:53 PM
    You please explain

Sep 11, 2008, 06:17 PM
    CCA rating is Cold Cranking amps, was this battery you used equal or greater than yours. It should be stamped on top of the battery,

To check voltage at your starter. Use a Volt meter or Multi Meter, Hold the Black Probe on a exposed grounding point... usually any unpainted surface, then take The red probe and hold it on the wire coming from your starter solenoid, Looks like a mini starter ontop of your starter unit, there should be a big thick cable from the battery that hooks to this and then a smaller wire, touch it to the smaller wire connection, but do not puncture any wires,

I will draw this up for you give me a few min

Sep 11, 2008, 08:26 PM
    Ok here is a Diagram, Make sure you have clearance from vehicle and if lifting make sure the vehicle is properly supported... but you shouldn't have to lift it, you could actually get to this from the top, its just bellow the oil filter,

Picture 2 is a multi meter,

Put your meter on VDC you should see between 11.8 and 12.1 v here.

Now there is a smaller wire here also, this is from the ignition, disconnect this and check that while key is turned, becarefull not to damage the connector with your probe.

Let me know
    Attached Images

Sep 11, 2008, 09:39 PM
    Well the connecctions I did clean the rellay has been replaced and have already tried starting the jeep on neutral numerous times lol...
    Do u have any more ideas or suggestion?

Sep 11, 2008, 09:48 PM
    OK I see the diagram and I will try that... so both wires would have to read between 11.8 and 12.1v?

Sep 11, 2008, 09:56 PM
    Well The big wire should read the voltage of the battery.but the small wire will have some drop Not much though... If your getting a reading

Sep 11, 2008, 10:02 PM
    K ill try that but for sure ill keep u posted
    Mapleleafpete Posts: 125, Reputation: 4

Sep 12, 2008, 04:57 AM
    Sounds like a ground problem,make sure all connections are clean and tight.If you have a test lite try seeing if you actually have power going to the starter.Place the ground from the test lie to any metal part close to the starter then put the test lite on the positive cable going to the starter.That will determine if you have power going to the starter, get back to us with what you came up with.

Sep 12, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Hi.. I tried the meter test ,now the bigger wire is reading 12.0 and the smaller wire is reading 00.0 which is no power can I ask why? And how can I solve this problem

Sep 12, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Did you check the smaller wire while the key was turned at the same time?
    If not, it will read 0 because this is your signal wire from the ignition switch.

Let me know if you did it with the key turned, if you did than there is either a bad netural safety switch or a bad ignition, which I can tell you how to test.

Basically this test is ruling out the starter or solenoid or relay problems, so its important that they key is turned and held at the START position
    Let me know

Sep 12, 2008, 11:12 AM
    K tried that with the key turned at the start position and still reads 0 so how can I test the neutral switch and the ignition?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why won't my Jeep run [ 1 Answers ]

1999 Jeep Cherokee, 150,000 miles. Suddenly won't start. No spark, no power to the coil and fuses seem to be OK.

Run around with Jeep [ 1 Answers ]

I am leasing 2007 Jeep since Dec 30th and getting the run around. Is my car a lemon: Jan 2nd something popped in the ignition and I couldn't start the car-was towed to dealer to b fixed. In May, the driver window kept getting out of the groove and leaning forward,couldn't roll it up-brought to...

1993 Jeep [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1993 Jeep Grd Cherokee 4.0 liter 155,000 miles. I seem like when it gets hot, it starts to slowdown and sparkrattle. If I am running down the road and it decides to do this , I can shut it off and after a while it will run OK. It never shuts off but it will only run about 20 mph. Like I...

View more questions Search