Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chitik Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2008, 03:59 PM
    SOL Debt Collection in Ontario
    My original account contract with credit card was in 2001, the last activity on the account was in 2003. Does the SOL applies to my case ? And if it is applies so is it would be the old one (6 years from original contract?). Thanks so much.
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Sep 10, 2008, 06:30 PM
    In Ontario the limitation period for a cause of action that arose BEFORE January 2004 is six years.

The limitation period for a cause of action that arose AFTER January 2004 is two years.

If the last activity on your credit card was in 2003 then the six year limitation period would likely apply. An argument that the cause of action did not arise until 2004 could theoreticaly be made if the last activity on your credit card was near the end of 2003 (ie. November or December).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt collection in Ontario, Canada [ 1 Answers ]

We are a California based company attempting to collect in Ontario Canada. Can anyone share their experience getting licensed in Ontario?

Debt collection in ontario canada [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a time frame that a company has to come after you about a debt? I am being asked to pay immediately a debt from a college in 1999. Do I have to pay this, and if not, how do I go about it.?

SOL in Ontario for collection of old debt [ 8 Answers ]

Approx February 2005, at the time my husband and I had our own business it was incorporated. The company purchased supplies from a local company, we fell under financial difficulty and in the beginning of Jan 2006 we closed the business due to financial problems. I was just recently contacted in...

SoL Debt Collection in Ontario [ 2 Answers ]

I just had (Sprint Canada) call me stating that I have an outstanding debt from a residence I lived in about 7 years ago (1999). They told me that (Rogers) had bought out Sprint and that this was their last attempt to collect this debt. I asked them to send me proof of my debt with them, but...

View more questions Search