Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chitik Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Ontario - debt statute of limitations
    Hi, the debt collector sued me in 2008 for the debt of my credit card that was in 2001. I did not know that debt statute of limitations could be in effect during the court. I made an agreement of the amount to be paid and I am paying now my debt to collection agency on weekly basis. I do have a right according to the court decision to revaluate my case every 6 month period. Can I open the court case about this debt and stop paying to the collection agency due to statute of limitations . Thank you. Please, help.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2008, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chitik
    Hi, the debt collector sued me in 2008 for the debt of my credit card that was in 2001. I did not know that debt statute of limitations could be in effect during the court. I made an agreement of the amount to be paid and I am paying now my debt to collection agency on weekly basis. I do have a right according to the court decision to revaluate my case every 6 month period. Can I open the court case about this debt and stop paying to the collection agency due to statute of limitations . Thank you. Please, help.

I sure would try - this is an agreement, right? You aren't paying on a Judgment. Sometime people don't understand the difference but it appears you do.

What happened to the lawsuit? Did you sign an agreement that if you default on the payments they can take a Judgment against you?

I've seen these agreements become a new contract to pay, skirting the Statute.
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Sep 10, 2008, 06:25 PM
    It sounds like you filed a defence after being sued and your matter proceeded to either a Settlement Conference or a Terms of Payment Hearing where a payment plan was endorsed by the court (correct us if we are wrong). Your acknowledgement of the debt and/or subsequent payments would likely restart the limitation period.

As for the six month review this is common with court endorsed terms of payment. At the review hearing either party may make submissions as to why the payments should be increased or decreased.

The probability of successfully terminating an agreement that was endorsed by the court so that you can now argue the Statute of Limitations is low.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ontario - debt statute of limitations [ 10 Answers ]

I was recently contacted by a debt collector who told me I owed an Ontario University money. I have not attended that school since 1999 and this was the first corresponence I received regarding this debt. I would like to know if they can take me to court for this, and if not, can they put this...

Credit Card Debt, Statute of Limitations, Ontario [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what the statue of limitions is for credit card debt incurred several years ago in Ontario. If anyone can provide a Ontario Statue link it would be appreciated.

Statute of Limitations Ontario [ 2 Answers ]

I have a credit card that I have stopped paying two years ago. But I was not in Ontario during the last two years. Does the SOL apply to my situation or does the SOL start over again when I return to Ontario,Canada. Please advise. The credit card is old but the payments were stopped in 2005. ...

Ontario & Quebec Statute of limitations on personal debt [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I've been reading up as much as I can on the subject of the Statute of Limitations on personal debt in Ontario and Quebec as I've found myself in an uncomfortable situation with a lot of debt - some recent, some old. Most is from Ontario where I currently reside, but some is from Quebec...

View more questions Search