Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 07:19 AM
    Batman: The Riddler
    I have heard that they are using Johnny Depp as the Riddler in the next Batman. I was wondering if anybody would like to have their own in-put on it? Or you can talk about the Dark Knight and if you think it can be topped. Also they will have Phillip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin! Any in-puts on that?
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Sep 10, 2008, 07:40 AM
    Although the original Batman film (with Michael Keaton) was awesome, I didn't think they'd top Batman Begins, I was stunned at how good it was!

But boy, did they pull it off with The Dark Knight! What a fantastic film!
    I mean, it has its problems; it's pretty damn long and Christian Bale's growling voice is just about bareable, but otherwise... WOOHOO! Heath Ledger's performance is beyond words!

As for Depp and Hoffman (who were outed by Michael Caine, right?), I can see the attraction of having them in those roles! They'll be brilliant, so long as Depp doesn't try and play The Riddler in the same appaling way that Jim Carey did in Batman Forever!

*shudders*
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 07:58 AM
    There were rumors that proved to be false that Cher was going to play Cat Woman. I agree that Ledger set the bar high and it will be a real risk for someone to take on a role as a villain in sequals . Depp of course is talented and could pull it off as he does with every character he protrays . But I kind of doubt he will try it because of the inevidible comparisons to the Ledger performance.
    The anarchist terrorist Joker that Ledger played was perfect for our times because it handled the gray areas beautifully .
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 08:00 AM
    I think it will be awesome, and it may be an even bigger hit in the box office because people will want to see if it is better. I can't wait to see it. Does anybody have a clue to when it will come out? Yes, Michael Caine did get them to do it. I think Johnny Depp will do all right. I agree with you on Bales voice. It was a bit annoying when he talked like that!
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 09:15 AM
    Nobody has anything else to say here?
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Sep 10, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_89
    I have heard that they are using Johnny Depp as the Riddler in the next Batman. I was wondering if anybody would like to have their own in-put on it? Or you can talk about the Dark Knight and if you think it can be topped. Also they will have Phillip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin! Any in-puts on that?
    First of all, I think getting Phillip Seymour Hoffman for Penguin would be a bit of a cliché. He's a great actor, but I don't think he's right for Penguin because he TOO right for the part, if you get what I mean. The fun of having Heath Ledger as Joker was that he WASN'T the kind of guy I would have thought of as Joker. And he was able to pull it off anyway.

Johnny Depp for Ridler? Not a bad pick. But I'm hoping that they don't fall into the trap of just using the same villains they used in the last set of movies. Remember, Batman Begins had an important, but much less well-known Batman villain in Rhas al Ghual. VERY important to the Batman continuum and the serious fans but NOT well known to the casual moviegoer. And because of that fact, it was more realistic. I hope they continue that trend. They HAD to show the Joker in Dark Knight, because without the Joker, there is no Batman as we know him. The two can't be sepparated. But having the same old hackneyed villains over and over again is kind of dumb. And after Ledger's Joker, there is no "classic" Batman villain that could stand up to the scrutiny. I'm hoping they go with something less predictable.

Given the new political upheaval in Europe, I'd like to see someone like the KGBeast or the NKVDemon (both of whom nearly killed Batman in the comics in single combat) be the villain in the next movie. Someone with the same skills, talents and urges as Batman... a true equal in fighting ability, creativity and trickiness. And probably stronger than him as well.

Penguin, Catwoman, Ridler, Catwoman, Scarecrow and Mr. Freeze just don't do it for me anymore. They're one-trick ponies when it comes to bringing them off in a movie.

Let's see something DIFFERENT.

Elliot
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Sep 10, 2008, 12:55 PM
    I really want to know who's going to be playing the joker now (He didn't die at the end right?)

I really hope they don't bring in robin or the girl, I don't know it would feel like the movie is taking a turn in my opinion.
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 01:02 PM
    ETWolverine, That was a great post, and you had great ideas. That would make it very good. As for Hardkore, I don't think that they will bring robin in or anything. That would make it go downhill. I have no idea what they will do for the joker, maybe they should just let it lay low, because having to fill the shoes of Ledger would be huge! Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 03:06 PM
    The rumor I have heard that is not as well known is that some reporter named Mike Engel does some digging and is close to disclosing Batman's identity . But the Joker ;who ET correctly points out has a symbiotic relationship (which Ledger brilliantly demonstrated... even stealing a classic line from Jerry McGuire); prevents the disclosure.

Beyond that ,all the characters are pure speculation at this point. David Tenant and Brian Austin Green purportedly expressed an interest in the Riddler role.

What ET said is intriguing but I think the wider audience will expect a familiar villians . The challenge is to give the role a new twist. For the Riddler perhaps it would be in the death trap he designs... Or even better ;I just did some reseach and both Riddler and Ra's al Ghul were in a story line called Hush
    Hush (comics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)(also a chance to bring back Two Face)

I'm also impatiently waiting for the Wolverine movie to come out next year,

Sep 11, 2008, 12:16 AM
    See, I'm torn over the usage of the phrase 'familiar characters' here.

With Batman (as with the X-Men films, and the Watchmen film) the only people that are really familiar with the characters will be comic-book geeks who have read them in the past! I suppose the only other thing that would add to this knowledge would be the cartoons and the original series of Batman with Adam West.

The only reason I wouldn't want to see Robin or Batgirl is because of how shocking they were in previous films. If they were better written they could be brilliant!

I'd LOVE to see some different villians though! I thought Cillian Murphy portrayed The Scarecrow brilliantly in Batman Begins! Perhaps they could do Firefly or Man-Bat (so long as they didn't go overboard on the CGI and ruin it like they did with The Incredible Hulk!)?

As for people not being able to do the Joker better than Heath Ledger... many people didn't think anyone could out-do Jack Nicholson's portrayal of the very same villain...
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2008, 04:33 AM
    True on the Jack Nicholson part. He was very good, and seemed unbeatable, but I think ledger did better. Just my opinion though. I think they should stick to come of the basics, like more real or imaginable characters. So far, it is probably possible. If they get Mr. Freeze or something, then it just won't seem so real. It would be nice for batman to have a very strong opponent though, somebody who could put up a fight, instead of him just being able to snap them if he wanted to.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2008, 05:07 AM
    The nolan brothers actually said in an interview that they wouldn't do "classic" batman enemies... such as the penguin or ms. ivy, simply because it's just too unrealistic and a little bit... silly.

This leaves out mr. freeze... penguin... ms. ivy... etc.

This really only leaves the riddler + catwoman, but I feel that catwoman has been damaged enough by different movies... so I'm unsure about this. I feel that riddler would be the best bet, and not only that, depp would do a decent job... and I don't think depp's the kind of character who's worried he might not live up to ledger's performance. Also, depp and ledger were pretty good friends, so depp actually might show more interest in this role.
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Sep 11, 2008, 09:14 AM
    A little too unrealistic!? LMAO... um Batman himself is unrealistic.

Sep 11, 2008, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by StaticFX
    a little too unrealistic!?? LMAO... um Batman himself is unrealistic.
    You think?

I like Batman for exactly the OPPOSITE... I think he's the most realistic of the super-heroes!

Sep 11, 2008, 09:58 AM
    -he has a suit that is completely bulletproof (yet no one has shot him in the face)
    -he can fly with his cape (with some sort of "frame" that keeps the wings out, yet it hangs limply when he is standing.
    -he can talk to his car and have it come find him
    -he is super strong (how? )
    -he has a utility belt that has everything he needs at any time yet you can't ever see these gadgets

Hes not a superhero in my opinion... he is a vigilante. He is a regular man who wears a costume. He has no super powers... which I would think would help make someone a "super"hero ;)

(dont get me wrong.. bat man is cool and kicks a$$... )
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Elliot

Liam Neeson played Ra's al Ghul in 'Batman Begins'

Sep 11, 2008, 10:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by StaticFX
    -he has a suit that is completely bulletproof (yet no one has shot him in the face)
    -he can fly with his cape (with some sort of "frame" that keeps the wings out, yet it hangs limply when he is standing.
    -he can talk to his car and have it come find him
    -he is super strong (how??)
    -he has a utility belt that has everything he needs at any time yet you can't ever see these gadgets

Hes not a superhero in my opinion... he is a vigilante. he is a regular man who wears a costume. He has no super powers... which I would think would help make someone a "super"hero ;)

(dont get me wrong.. bat man is cool and kicks a$$...)
    The cape is made from Nomex and Kevlar, so yes, it, like his armour is bulletproof. Both these materials are real, so it's not impossible for this material to be made... one day! It also had memory fibres in it, so that when electricity is passed through it, it returns to the 'glider' form. Not wholly improbable!

The new Ford Fiesta comes with voice recognition... I mean, you can only use it to dial numbers on your phone and change the CD, but who knows, one day, you could ask it to come to you! He he! :D

He's strong because he does weights!

His utility belt is obviously made by the same guys that make the Swiss Army Knife! Ha ha!

I think he's a Superhero... he has all the traits!

Now if this was an argument about Superman being unrealistic, I'd be with you! He he!

Sep 11, 2008, 11:14 AM
    Lol

SWISS ARMY KNIFE! Lol... OK, you got me on the belt.
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Ok, you guys are hilarious! I do agree and think that Batman is the most realistic of superheros. You guys put it perfectly on why he is the most resonable. To Isneezefunny, I think that Depp will do a good job. I did not know that he was friends with Ledger. He did a pretty good job in "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas" He was friends with that guy that he was portraying in that film. That guy died, and he agreed to do the film because he was there when he died or something along the lines. I think they are doing some other movie like that with Depp being his friend again. Anyway, I seen a thing on The History Channel once about Spiderman actually being possible, because they did a bunch of tests or something, and it is possible to an extent I think.

Sep 11, 2008, 12:31 PM
    Oh, I never actually answered. Depp is a fantastic actor, he can seem to mold himself to any role. While I have always love Gene wilder as willy wonka.. I thought Depp was a perfect, quirky, oddball, willy :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Batman The Dark Knight; Why did Batman choose. [ 44 Answers ]

OK, Warning: If you have not seen Batman The Dark Knight, then do not read this post! I need some clarification: Batman had a choice of either saving the District Attorney or the woman; why did he save the DA? My guess is that he was "set-up/tricked" by someone (the mayor?) to save the...

Batman The Dark Knight [ 53 Answers ]

Holy... mother... of... Just got back from the midnight viewing... Just my $0.02... the most anticipated movie of the year, and often voted the best movie of the year... and I don't disagree. EVERYTHING about this movie kicked left butt. E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G.!

View more questions Search