Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2008, 04:28 AM
    You can put lipstick on a pig... it's still a pig.
    How low and pathetic.

I can guess in advance that he will say that he was not referring to Palin.

But smart folk will know this is not true. If Palin would have never made the lipstick comment, then Obama would never have said what he did.

tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 04:47 AM
    Biden also made a lipstick reference while campaigning “zero experience in national government, zero experience in foreign affairs. There's no way you can dress up that record, even with a lot of lipstick.” Zeus Obama is now pointing at a time when McCain referred to Evita using the same phrase while talking about her health care proposals “I think they put some lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig,” But BO can spin it all he wants to and claim he was talking about their policies ;his comments would not have worked had Palin not called herself a pitbull with lipstick.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2008, 05:10 AM
    Hello:

Yeah, politics is an ugly game. Maybe McCain shouldn't have accused Obama of wanting to lose a war.

excon
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2008, 05:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    How low and pathetic.
    That's pretty been the republican campaign to date. It's time to fight back.
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 05:40 AM
    So much for that transcending politics then... I figure he just lost another 1million women votes with that line .

At Republican rallies they have been chanting "read my lipstick " so he knew how it would be received . The crowd he was addressing knew also ;thus their almost uncontrollable whooping it up when he said it. This reminds me of when Michael Steele was running and Dems in the audience threw Oreo cookies at him.
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2008, 05:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    ??

Show us something that's anywhere near calling the opponent a pig.
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2008, 05:46 AM
    He did not call anyone a pig.

Despite the play this is getting in the media, the expression about putting lipstick on a pig is not new and has been used before by politicians, one specific instance brought up by the Obama campaign is when John McCain used the expression when speaking about Hillary Clinton's health care plan.

Have you never heard the expression as it relates to an idea? Where was your outrage when McCain said it?
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 05:55 AM
    I guess it is OK when talking about women. Had McCain said "calling a spade a spade " I'm sure he would be given a pass.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 07:08 AM
    Michelle Obama also dissed Palin:

“What you learn about Barack from his choice is that he’s not afraid of smart people.”
    That's OK, though, they'll continue to pay the price.
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 07:10 AM
    That’s pathetic, NK. I get all the DNC emails so I know what they’re saying, starting with claiming McCain was “breaking the law” over campaign financing. Haven’t heard anything about the complaint they filed with the FEC have you? Here’s a sample of what they’ve been sending out:

Steve --

It's like 1989 all over again –John McCain has been caught in yet another ethics scandal.

If you had a TV on yesterday, you saw who jumped to his defense -- the team of lobbyists who work for him, led by campaign manager and lobbyist Rick Davis, and the well-oiled right-wing noise machine, led by Rush Limbaugh. In an ironic message to McCain supporters yesterday, lobbyist Davis wrote...

[John McCain] has led the charge to limit the money and influence of the special interests in politics and stomp out corruption.

They spent the day breathlessly assailing the New York Times as "liberal," ignoring the ethics lapses the team of reporters had uncovered. The fact is, John McCain is facing legitimate questions about lobbyists, favors, and campaign contributions, just as he did during the Keating Five scandal that nearly derailed his political career twenty years ago.

Seeing more dollar signs, the McCain campaign and the RNC decided to jump at the chance to take advantage of the distraction they had created to raise money. They had spent the day firing their supporters up, trying desperately to change the subject, and then they literally cashed in on it. It was textbook sleaze.

So, let's hit back.

Don't let John McCain's team of lobbyists, Rush Limbaugh and the right-wing noise machine, the RNC and their special-interest backers take advantage of John McCain's most recent ethics scandal -- it's disgusting, and we can't let them get ahead like this. They're screaming as loud as they can, and you can send a message right back:
    The Dems and their leftist supporters have done nothing but attack McCain, and they’ve gone beyond disgusting in attacking Sarah Palin. Or have you not been paying attention (and joining in on the bashing)?
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 07:13 AM
    It was wrong to say it, there is no getting around it.
    Also if I can add... both parties bash each other... I sincerely wish they wouldn't. They can prove each other wrong without crude humor, right?
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 07:35 AM
    Steve ;what specifically are they accusing McCain of in that rant ?
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2008, 07:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by startover22
    It was wrong to say it, there is no getting around it.
    Also if I can add.....both parties bash each other......I sincerely wish they wouldn't. They can prove each other wrong without crude humor, right?
    That seems to be the american way: screw the other guy if I can get ahead.
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    Steve ;what specifically are they accusing McCain of in that rant ?
    Tom, this was back when they were going ballistic over him allegedly using federal campaign funds to back a loan. In particular they were complaining McCain was "turning an ethics scandal into a fundraising opportunity." I was just showing NK the Dems have been on the attack all along.
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 08:46 AM
    Oh OK I thought it may be something new . But dredging up that old and tired Keating 5 may be all they have.

Here is a pix displayed on the Dem's official web site byone of their bloggers from Aug.30 with the header :McCain's Selection of Palin is Lipstick on a Pig

The Democratic Party | PartyBuilder | Elizabeth Berry's Blog: McCain's Selection of Palin is Lipstick on a Pig

Uber Member

Sep 10, 2008, 09:11 AM
    He did not call anyone a pig.

Despite the play this is getting in the media, the expression about putting lipstick on a pig is not new and has been used before by politicians, one specific instance brought up by the Obama campaign is when John McCain used the expression when speaking about Hillary Clinton’s health care plan.

Have you never heard the expression as it relates to an idea? Where was your outrage when McCain said it?
    Not the same at all. No one with half a brain could say that McCain was speaking about Clinton...

It's not a stretch at all to presume that Obama was insulting Palin. And it's big news today that many considered it an insult.

No one accused McCain of insulting anyone when he used the phrase because he was not insulting anyone.
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2008, 09:17 AM
    It's obvious Obama is talking about the lack of 'change' in the McCain camp. Where you add the Palin connection I don't know.
    You see what you want to see. It's just like religion.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Sep 10, 2008, 09:39 AM
    Obama is correct. The whole Pub campaign has been nothing but a pig with lipstick show attempting to camouflage the past eight years. Dyed-in-the-wool Republicans, the ones that voted for Dubya twice and now want to back McCain, suddenly have short memory. It was in the 2000 Pub primaries that George W Bush went full force onslaught of nastiness against John "love child" McCain.

A little trip down memory lane...

THE 2000 CAMPAIGN: WAR OF WORDS; Spotlight Turns on Ugly Side of Politicking - New York Times

Salon.com Politics | Getting ugly
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 09:50 AM
    Today he clarified with another animal cliché and said the comment was " Catnip for the media " implying that the press was out to get him lol.

He said that McCain "seize an innocent remark and take it out of context" .
    This is a guy who has used other's comments out of context since the campaign began. (“100 years in Iraq” ....“rich is $5,000,000″) but now takes issue when it is used on him.He wants to stick to real issues like how many houses McCain owns.
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 10:34 AM
    For all of you who mock McCain as old and ill and as having lost his mind...

‘Stand Up For Chuck’: Biden Makes a Save After Asking State Senator in Wheelchair to Stand

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lipstick color. [ 3 Answers ]

What is the best lipstick color,for going out at night?

Lipstick [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone! Does anyone have any suggestions on stopping lipstick bleeds? I have tried foundation, lip liners and "special" sticks designed to stop it, but it still bleeds? Any ideas:confused:

Non-smear lipstick [ 4 Answers ]

Where can I locate non-smear lipstick?

Lipstick make & color on a music video [ 1 Answers ]

How do I go about finding out the make and color of a lipstick worn by an artist (Nelly Furtado) on a music video ("On the Radio")?

When should an old lipstick be thrown out? [ 7 Answers ]

I was cleaning out some drawers and found some old cosmetics. I know that all eye and face products should not be used past say six months because of bacteria concerns. Is this true of lipsticks too? When should an old lipstick be thrown out for health reasons? Thank you.

View more questions Search