Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barb1953 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 08:29 PM
    Can a bank take Social securty funds due to debt
    My father is considering returning a motorhome to the bank that finances it due to the recent death of my mother and the total loss of her income, which afforded them this motorhome. He lives solely on his 800.00 a month Social security income and has NO other income. He cannot afford the 339.00 monthly payment to the bank. If he defaults on this loan can the bank seize his social security funds which are automatically deposited into his checking account each month? At his age he is not concerned about his credit as he does not plan on it coming into play with what short time he may have left to live. It is so sad that he is in this position as mothers sudden death has made him almost penniless. Thanks so social security he received a whopping 250.00 death benefit from her death and nothing else as they said he is not entitled to her social security because he is also drawing his which was slightly more than hers. Do I need to have him have a paper check mailed to him to protect his only income from being taken?
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Sep 10, 2008, 12:11 PM
    This could be a tricky situation. If your father's bank account is with the same bank that he owes money to then the account holder agreement he has may allow the bank to take funds from his account to satisfy any other deliquent accounts with the bank.

If your father's bank account is with a different bank than the one he owes money to then the only way the creditor bank could attempt to take money from his bank is account is to sue, obtain a judgment then issue a garnishment. In such circumstances, and depending upon the particular rules of your jurisdiction, social security monies should be exempt from garnishment even when they are sitting in a bank account.

Whether such an exemption would apply in the first scenario we cannot say.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2008, 05:35 PM
    Mail this notice you the bank where your father has a account and every bank that he has. Send it Certified MAil with return receipt. THis will put the bank on notice that his account are exempt since it direct depoist of SSI

For your information about Social Security Benefits

Safe from Garnishment

Federal law makes Social Security benefits exempt from levy, garnishment, and assignment- 42 USC 407(a) states. "In general the right of any future payments under this sub chapter SHALL NOT be Transferable or assignable. AND NONE of the moneys paid or payable or rights existing under this subchapter shall be subject to execution, levey, attachment, garnishment, or other legal process, or to the operation of any bankruptcy or insolvency law".

This means that even if a creditor or debt attorney, collection agency has a judgement against you they CAN NOT garnish your SS payments nor can they take the money from you after it has been paid to you; for example, the portion of your bank account that is attributable to your SS benefits is EXEMPT from LEVY OR ATTACHMENT

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social securty payments [ 2 Answers ]

How do I go about collecting money for my child after his father dies and he's not on the birth certficiate?

Social Security funds & bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

I need help to see whether Social Security monies are exempt from bankruptcy. The Chapter 7 bankruptcy papers were filed on Mar 21, 2008. I checked my checking acct balance on Mar 20 and found a large deposit from the US Treasury. It represented 14 months of back pay for SS disability. I had...

Social Securty & Law [ 1 Answers ]

Hello,My daughter receives widow benefits she is 40 years old & benefits for her daughter age 13 these benefits are from her deceased husband.Question,My daughter was stopped for D U I & resited arrest ,she is charged with two felonies ,her lawyer is trying to get the felonies dropped or...

My bank put my funds on hold! [ 3 Answers ]

I live in the District of Columbia and one day, I made a cash deposit to my bank account at the teller's desk. I remember it was a Friday. The deposit being cash should have been available to me right away. Over the weekend, while checking on my account online, I saw that the money I deposited was...

Bank funds garnished [ 5 Answers ]

I just learned that my accounts have been garnished because of a student loan issued by the school not PHEAA has not been paid. How do I get them to remove the levy? Do I make a payment arrangement and the accounts are unfrozen? How does this work?? :eek:

View more questions Search