Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kristh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 05:32 PM
    Breaking the lease (Florida) - legal actions by landlord
    At school, a lot of other foreign students have broken their leases and moved out of their apartments early. The landlords demanded pay for the entire leasing period (for some up to ten months), but most have just vacated the apartment and left and never paid again.
    Now, I as well want to move out. The landlord and I had an oral agreement that the fee for moving out early would be 3 months rent. But now she has changed her mind and demands rent for 7 more months. I have no way of proving this oral agreement...
    What can happen to me if I move out and do not pay more than the 3 months?

Thanks for any help,

Kris
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Do you have a written lease with your landlord?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 06:27 PM
    If you have a written lease, they can sue you for the value of the entire lease, up to the time they rent the apartment to someone else. *** In Florida they don't even have to try and rent it out. They may depending on your lease also require you to keep electric on in the apartment.

Now since you are not from some other country, and will not be moving back home, they can sue you, get a judgeemnt and wait for 10 to 20 years for you to get a job, and have money before coming after you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can a landlord break a lease in Florida [ 2 Answers ]

My landlord wants to break my lease to sell her house due to divorce. What does she have to do to legally break the lease? There are no clauses in the lease to cover if the landlord wants to break the lease for this or any other reason.

Landlord breaks lease in Florida [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My question is: Our landlord asked us on June 1st if we could move out early so that the owner of the home could move back into his home. We agreed verbally to move, on July 1st we moved into a new home in which is $150 more on the mth. Also we were told that they would provide a...

No lease Florida law Landlord rights [ 3 Answers ]

How can a landlord evict a tenent from a trailer that had no landlord-tenant lease

Landlord liable for breaking [ 15 Answers ]

What if the doors are not secure, kind of flimsy, easily broken into, and then after the burglary the landlord comes and nails the door completely shut. Is he liable for securing the property?

No lease Florida law Landlord rights [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I have rented a room (within my home) with no written lease tenant to pay weekly. Utilities were not included in rent. The tenant is now past due on her rent and electric. Also, when I confronted her about the balance she verbally threatened me with bodily harm. What are my rights? I wish...

View more questions Search