Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2008, 09:15 AM
    Age for cell phone users
    At what age is it appropriate for a child to receive a cell phone? I am flabbergasted that my ex-husband told me yesterday when I picked her up that she had earned the money and privilege of having a cell phone - SHE JUST TURNED 7 in Aug!! What would you suggest, how do I deal with this, I believe it's completely inappropriate. My son received a cell phone when he was 11 because after school he was home alone for an hour before I got home from work and there was not a land line in the house. He lost it over the summer and I am refusing to replace it, he doesn't have any need for it any longer, he is never home alone. I have joint custody of my daughter and my son will find this very upsetting if she has a phone he can't have.
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Sep 9, 2008, 09:39 AM
    7!! Too young. What could they possibly need it for? If ANYTHING.. than maybe a migo which has like 4 preset buttons. You can set one for home, 911, etc.. But really... when would they be on their own that it would be needed!?

11-12 maybe, depending on the need. But 7 in my opinion is crazy
    lmangileri Posts: 211, Reputation: 11

Sep 9, 2008, 09:56 AM
    I agree with StaticFX. I understand the need if a child is alone and there is no landline but 7 is a little ridiculous. I didn't get a cell phone until I had a car but when I was home alone we had a landline. My dad didn't see the need for a cell phone until I was driving because I would be leaving the house more often and I paid for my cell phone too.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2008, 09:58 AM
    There are odd questions and odd reasons, but as an example, I had keys to the house when I was 6 (Never lost them and I still have the same key ring) and keys to the cars before I could drive.

There was trust involved and there were reasons. Keys, because I could walk home from school and sometimes parents were not home. I had car keys because of convience. No remote locks, listening to radio, convience etc. I had keys to all vehicles. The vehicles had to be switched in the driveway a lot. My parents believed that everyone should carry a set of keys to house and all the cars. To this day, keys are 99% in my pocket when I'm outside the house.

There should not be a problem with pre-programmed cell phones.

Some carriers aparently allow more extensive monitoring and controls of cell phone activity.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2008, 02:51 PM
    I don't know, I just think it is sending the wrong message to my daughter, like the clothes that he allows her to wear, don't get me wrong there are a lot of really cute girl outfits but mainly some of them give the appearance of easy even at young ages, he even allowed her to buy "hooker" boots. I just feel like some of these things will be hard to combat when she is pre teen age. How do you say it's inappropriate then when it wasn't inappropriate at six-seven. The best I could come up with is that it won't be allowed at my house. I just think it is so ridiculous, but I just wondered if I was alone, nearly 90% of my son's class has them, but he is in sixth grade.
    Nin13 Posts: 23, Reputation: 4

Oct 18, 2008, 10:18 AM

I would say 15 years. But I think parents should know the best, when their children need cellphone.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 18, 2008, 03:01 PM

Yes maybe 14 or 15, I would not be letting her have one at this age.
    rippedinside Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Oct 18, 2008, 03:05 PM

I got my first cell phone when I turned 15. I think 15, maybe 16-ish is appropriate. Unless you have a good reason to give them one earlier than that age. Don't kids only want cell phones to show off?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 18, 2008, 03:15 PM

In the mornings I see kids waiting for the bus. Each child has a cell phone and is talking into it. No child waiting for the bus is talking to another child waiting for the bus.

A child of 7 should be given a cell phone only for safety's sake and it should be a very basic preprogrammed one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I transfer my cell phone contact list from phone to computer? [ 6 Answers ]

Can I transfer my cell phone contact list from my cell phone onto my computer? I have a LG AX8600 cell phone. What type cord will I need to use for my computer and cell phone?

Blocked Phone number calling wireless cell phone [ 4 Answers ]

Hello my name is Jessica. Is there anyway anyone can help me figure out a blocked number that is calling my cell phone? If there is anyway to find out who the blokced number is that is really calling me.

Which is the best cell phone and cell phone plan in Verizon? [ 5 Answers ]

Which is the best cell phone and cell phone plan in Verizon?My contract is about to end.I want to switch to Verizon.So any suggestions?

Is it my phone or have other motorola users had the same issue? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a motorola v360 mobile phone its bascily the same as the v3 but I can put a memory card in mine as the v3s you cant,anyway latly I've been having some trouble with messaging a lot of the time I try to send a message(txt) ill press send and it will delete the message and go back to the...

Cell phone [ 4 Answers ]

How can I obtain a phone bill that belongs to my husband

View more questions Search